Reload this Page >

UK Pension Transfer- OZ

UK Pension Transfer- OZ

Old Aug 12th 2008, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Oz Dreaming is on a distinguished road
Default UK Pension Transfer- OZ

Hi all,

I have a question regarding transfering UK pensions to Oz. I am planning to validate my visa in jan or Feb next year (have to validate it by April). Then planning to move over there in July.

As i understand it you have 6mnths to transfer your pension after taking up residency, before you have to start paying tax on the transfer.

My question is does anyone know when the 6mnths starts? when you validate your visa (become a oz resident) or when you become a permanent resident (eg move out there for good instead of validating it).

Another question has anyone transferred their pension by themselves? is it easy to do? and do you have any Super annuation companies you would recommend. I dont fancy paying 1-3% for the privilage of a company to transfer it.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Pension Transfer- OZ

Originally Posted by Oz Dreaming
Hi all,

I have a question regarding transfering UK pensions to Oz. I am planning to validate my visa in jan or Feb next year (have to validate it by April). Then planning to move over there in July.

As i understand it you have 6mnths to transfer your pension after taking up residency, before you have to start paying tax on the transfer.

My question is does anyone know when the 6mnths starts? when you validate your visa (become a oz resident) or when you become a permanent resident (eg move out there for good instead of validating it).

Another question has anyone transferred their pension by themselves? is it easy to do? and do you have any Super annuation companies you would recommend. I dont fancy paying 1-3% for the privilage of a company to transfer it.
Would recommend you pay for good advice rather than speculate on here. Gomatilda.com are experts in this field as far as I know.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

im9907620 is just really niceim9907620 is just really niceim9907620 is just really niceim9907620 is just really niceim9907620 is just really niceim9907620 is just really niceim9907620 is just really niceim9907620 is just really niceim9907620 is just really niceim9907620 is just really nice
Post Re: UK Pension Transfer- OZ

[QUOTE=Oz Dreaming;6672966]Hi all,
"As i understand it you have 6mnths to transfer your pension after taking up residency, before you have to start paying tax on the transfer."

Under new proposals announced this week by the UK Govt there will be no rush to transfer a pension to Auz within 6 months as a transfer will be counted as assessable income of the Auz fund and taxed at the going rate (15%?).

It also means that the Auz tax that would have been levied on a UK transfer outside of the 6 month window, will not now be classed as a Unauthorised payment under Uk rules which could have meant further UK charges (on top of the Auz tax charge) from the UK end. All other facets of QROP schemes appear to unchanged.

Last edited by im9907620; Jan 21st 2009 at 9:12 am. Reason: separate quote from reply
Old Jan 21st 2009, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

You don't become a resident for tax purposes until you move out there, validation is irrelevant if you validate as part of a holiday.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

dcousins2k4 is an unknown quantity at this point

do you have the Pension Transferred into your uk Bank currently or where you planning to have your uk Pension company Transfer it directly into your Auz acct?
Old Feb 9th 2009, 2:27 am
Banned

Horizon01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

6 months starts from the day you arrive as a permanent resident
Old Feb 9th 2009, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Lisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to all
Smile Re: UK Pension Transfer- OZ

Does anyone have any knowledge of how the rules apply to temporary residents? We are going on a 163 state-sponsored business owner visa, we have to run a business for a minimum 2 years before we are allowed to apply for permanant residency. Any info much appreciated.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 11:33 am
Just Joined

Aussie_Pete is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely ask a professional! Even if you just give them a ring/visit one at a show, any info you can get should help. Friends of ours took professional advice and saved a fair bit, even if you take into account the fees they ended up paying.

We're a few months away just yet (probably more with the hosue) but are planning on attending one of the shows, armed with pen and paper!

On that note, has anyone been to any of the shows before and would recommend one over another?

Thanks,

Pete.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WINDSOR01
6 months starts from the day you arrive as a permanent resident
What happens if you arrive on 457? and then stay? Is it from day you take PR?
Old Feb 9th 2009, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lisa and Martin
Does anyone have any knowledge of how the rules apply to temporary residents? We are going on a 163 state-sponsored business owner visa, we have to run a business for a minimum 2 years before we are allowed to apply for permanant residency. Any info much appreciated.
Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
What happens if you arrive on 457? and then stay? Is it from day you take PR?
As I understand it, as a temporary resident, you do not have to transfer your pension. However once you become PR, the 6 month rule applies. Fingers crossed this proposal mentioned by im9907620 is accepted. That will buy us all some breathing space to decide the best course of action.