UK Pension

Old May 16th 2023, 11:12 pm
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of
Default UK Pension

I have a small UK pension which I wish to start collecting in September when I retire. Do I have to pay tax on it in Australia? Should I collect the pension every month or transfer the accumulated funds once a year? And what is the best way to transfer it? Any advice would be greatly received.
Old May 17th 2023, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Pension

Hi
Yes UK pensions are taxed as income here, tax applies when you receive it regardless of transfer to Australia. There are some tax deductions so might be worth checking with an accountant as it can depend on the type of pension, lump sums etc.

You will need to send a form to allow your Uk provider to pay you without deducting tax, available on ATO website.
Most companies will pay into your Aus account direct or you can have it paid into UK bank account then diy via an fx company like wise.

You will also be entitled to a UK gov pension depending on your contributions, this will also be taxed as income by the ATO.
Old May 29th 2023, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Julian927 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Pension Barclays closing account

I have just received a letter from Barclays saying they are closing our bank account. It is the one bank account we were allowed to keep when emigrating from the uk 13 years ago. Our pensions are paid into it then we use uk forex to transfer when exchange rate is favourable.
We live in Australia. It appears that unless we bank £100,000 or more that’s it!
does anyone have a solution. I’m sure we’re not the only ones to receive this bombshell.
Old May 29th 2023, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Julian927
I have just received a letter from Barclays saying they are closing our bank account. It is the one bank account we were allowed to keep when emigrating from the uk 13 years ago. Our pensions are paid into it then we use uk forex to transfer when exchange rate is favourable.
We live in Australia. It appears that unless we bank £100,000 or more that’s it!
does anyone have a solution. I’m sure we’re not the only ones to receive this bombshell.

Just had the same done to me. I opened a Wise account and my pension now gets paid into that. Had a bit of an issue with the plan administrators but they have now agreed to use Wise.
Old May 30th 2023, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Just had the same done to me. I opened a Wise account and my pension now gets paid into that. Had a bit of an issue with the plan administrators but they have now agreed to use Wise.
Thanks for that. How does it work? We have separate amounts of pension (3 between us) that will go in. Do you move it when you want from GBP to AU$. What sort of exchange rate do you get please?
Old May 31st 2023, 5:37 am
dcw
Just Joined

dcw is an unknown quantity at this point

Just got the same letter. I've been expecting it for a few years. I already have a Wise account so I'll probably try to get it paid into that. They give you a UK Sort Code and BSB number so it should be possible to get money paid into it directly from pensions. Not sure what happens then, presumably it automatically appears in the linked Australian account at whatever the current exchange rate is less charges. I'm pretty sure you can't accumulate money there and transfer much later, which means it wouldn't be possible to wait for a better exchange rate, etc.

All very annoying.

Edit:
Just had a look, and if I've understood correctly, you can keep up to 13k GBP in the account. After that they charge you fees. I'm not sure whether it's a good idea to store much with them for any length of time. I don't think they are a bank, so probably not covered by government bank guarantees.

Please don't take my word for anything as I'm really not sure myself.

Last edited by dcw; May 31st 2023 at 5:43 am.
Old May 31st 2023, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dcw
Just got the same letter. I've been expecting it for a few years. I already have a Wise account so I'll probably try to get it paid into that. They give you a UK Sort Code and BSB number so it should be possible to get money paid into it directly from pensions. Not sure what happens then, presumably it automatically appears in the linked Australian account at whatever the current exchange rate is less charges. I'm pretty sure you can't accumulate money there and transfer much later, which means it wouldn't be possible to wait for a better exchange rate, etc.

All very annoying.

Edit:
Just had a look, and if I've understood correctly, you can keep up to 13k GBP in the account. After that they charge you fees. I'm not sure whether it's a good idea to store much with them for any length of time. I don't think they are a bank, so probably not covered by government bank guarantees.

Please don't take my word for anything as I'm really not sure myself.
After getting the letter I’ve opened a Wise account got hold of uk pensions and instructed them to pay our pensions into it. We have sort code and account number for uk and Australia. You move the money from one currency to the other when you want. You can see the exchange rate.
it was all very easy except you can’t open a joint account but uk pensions seem happy to pay into one’s spouses.
Old May 31st 2023, 8:34 am
dcw
Just Joined

After getting the letter I’ve opened a Wise account got hold of uk pensions and instructed them to pay our pensions into it. We have sort code and account number for uk and Australia. You move the money from one currency to the other when you want. You can see the exchange rate.
it was all very easy except you can’t open a joint account but uk pensions seem happy to pay into one’s spouses.
Thanks for that. Seems like the best option. Just hope the pensions cooperate with using the sort code and account number for Wise.
Old May 31st 2023, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dcw
Thanks for that. Seems like the best option. Just hope the pensions cooperate with using the sort code and account number for Wise.
yes the pensions people were really helpful. All sorted in less than 24 hours after getting the letter from bl***y Barclays Bank having banked with then for 53 years!!!!
Old May 31st 2023, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dcw
I don't think they are a bank, so probably not covered by government bank guarantees.
Correct.
Old May 31st 2023, 9:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dcw
Just got the same letter. I've been expecting it for a few years. I already have a Wise account. .... I'm not sure whether it's a good idea to store much with them for any length of time. I don't think they are a bank, so probably not covered by government bank guarantees. ....
You are absolutely correct, and I have posted on precisely this point frequently here on BE - Wise is not a bank, and money in a Wise account is not covered by deposit insurance. A Wise "borderless account" certainly has its uses, but I would caution against keep money in it long term, or using it for more money than you are willing to risk losing.

FWIW Wise's web site deflects the issue of deposit insurance by talking about "segregation of funds", and there is nothing wrong with that (if your solicitor holds money for you it will be in a "segregated account"), but segregation does not provide the same protection as deposit insurance.
Old Jun 1st 2023, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure your Uk pension will not pay into an Australian account? Mine gave me the option and so does the UK aged pension.

I know Barclays has a 100k account for overseas people but I’m shocked they are applying that to existing account holders. I got a letter once for Santander telling me they were closing my account as I had just changed my overseas address. When I rang they allowed me to keep the account. The system had just triggered letters because of the new overseas address. Maybe Barclays did the same. Worth calling and checking

Last edited by rammygirl; Jun 1st 2023 at 5:51 am.
Old Jun 1st 2023, 7:10 am
dcw
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rammygirl
Are you sure your Uk pension will not pay into an Australian account? Mine gave me the option and so does the UK aged pension.

I know Barclays has a 100k account for overseas people but I’m shocked they are applying that to existing account holders. I got a letter once for Santander telling me they were closing my account as I had just changed my overseas address. When I rang they allowed me to keep the account. The system had just triggered letters because of the new overseas address. Maybe Barclays did the same. Worth calling and checking
I'm pretty sure I could redirect pensions directly to my Aussie account, but I'm assuming that there'd be hefty fees at this end & I'm too tight for that . Presumably Wise would be cheaper.

The accompanying letter from Barclays makes it pretty clear that they are deliberately getting shot of their overseas customers, so I think I'd rather just move on. I had a chat with Wise today and it looks like their services cover pretty much everything I need including taking my pension receipts, holding sterling up to 13k GBP, using it to pay any bills in the UK (such as HMRC), and providing a multi currency debit card.
Old Jun 1st 2023, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I've had a Barclays a/c for 50 years (last 30 abroad Oz)and I only have 5,000 pound in it and I've received nothing about them closing it.
Old Jun 1st 2023, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for that. How does it work? We have separate amounts of pension (3 between us) that will go in. Do you move it when you want from GBP to AU$. What sort of exchange rate do you get please?
I've only got 1 UK pension which gets paid into my Oz bank a/c monthly. I end up with appox $1200 (varies due to exchange rate) and it costs about $20 / month which I think is reasonable. I could open an a/c in pounds here and get it transferred in pounds but their would still be a transfer charge and so I don't think it's worthwhile. With 3 a/c's it's more difficult because you would be hit with 3 transfer charges.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.