Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

uk pc in Aus will it work?

uk pc in Aus will it work?

Old Nov 5th 2002, 8:13 pm
Hippy chick

Elspeth is an unknown quantity at this point
Question uk pc in Aus will it work?

Im having my pc shipped over from the uk, apart from the plug sockets being different is there anything else i should know before attempting to plug it in? Basically will it work?? and will the internal modem work here?

ta
:-)
Old Nov 5th 2002, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

colind is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, it will all work fine, Elspeth.

Colin
Old Nov 6th 2002, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: uk pc in Aus will it work?

Originally posted by Elspeth
Im having my pc shipped over from the uk, apart from the plug sockets being different is there anything else i should know before attempting to plug it in? Basically will it work?? and will the internal modem work here?

ta
:-)
The only thing you should watch is the modem, if you are caught using a non AUSTEL approved device on the Australian telco network you are liable to a hefty fine or jail sentence - the chances of getting caught however are next to nil.
Old Nov 13th 2002, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

itfleming is an unknown quantity at this point

If your computer monitor is large, like about 19 inch or larger then it will not work as well down in the southern hemisphere, you will get greenish bits over the screen as the electrons do not follow the same path because the earths magnetic field is reversed. A smaller one will probably be OK.
Old Nov 15th 2002, 8:42 am
Hippy chick

Elspeth is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by itfleming
If your computer monitor is large, like about 19 inch or larger then it will not work as well down in the southern hemisphere, you will get greenish bits over the screen as the electrons do not follow the same path because the earths magnetic field is reversed. A smaller one will probably be OK.
wow never knew that, i cant actually remember what size it is, still waiting for shipping to arrive.....

maybe soon...
Old Nov 16th 2002, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future
Default Laptop

Works fine in both countries (as would a desktop) ... you will need an electrical adaptor and a telco phone adaptor socket (or replacement lead).

What's even cooler is that Singapore Airport has Infra-red sockets where you can 'surf on-line' as long as you Laptop battery lasts (if your Laptop is so enabled).

Even if you travel out without a PC it might be an idea to bring a UK Keyboard if you want to write home telling folk how many ££££££s you are using. (No £ key on Aussie keyboards)

Then again there's always ALT156.