Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK is not that bad

UK is not that bad

Old Nov 28th 2005, 3:47 pm
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK is not that bad

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
The Aussie sense of humour is inherited directly from the UK sense of humour and is therefore virtually identical.

I honestly can't understand anyone who thinks that they're somehow poles apart.
I can't explain it mate. Probably partially to do with common interests.

But things like Kath & Kim? Even the demand for British stuff had me confused - The Kumars, The Sketch Show? Mediocre to say the least.

Les Patterson makes me chuckle if I've had a couple of light ales. That's about it I'm afraid.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 3:47 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: UK is not that bad

Originally Posted by Breezey
The humour is a tad different but.
In what way?
Old Nov 28th 2005, 3:48 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: UK is not that bad

Originally Posted by lacey21
Gees i like your proverb Vash

that is so true

hugs Lace x
hey karma for you man
Cheers mate, thanks.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 3:49 pm
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Auspom
Spot on Brez,i find it hard living in uk with aussie humour cause no one understands it.
I was thinking of the old Paul Hogan stuff-and all the "wog" stuff-like Aussie music-there isnt much of it but the little there is is superb.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 3:51 pm
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

In what way?
A lot of English stuff revolves around Puns on the English language and people with pompous accents, airs and pretenses.
Aussie humour is often laughing at the philistine ways of the common man.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 3:52 pm
Auspom

Auspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
When I was a wee-nipper I thought Paul Hogan was the funniest man on the box. Do you remember the sketch with his sidekick who constantly wore the beanie-cum-lifesavers hat?

And then, there is "Prisoner Cell Block H"...."Good on yer Dawww!!"...
Fact about Paul hogan,
did u know that b 4 he was famous he used to paint the Syd harbour bridge,till 1 day a lady went to jump off and he talked her out of it. That's how Hogan became Famous...
Old Nov 28th 2005, 3:54 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Auspom
Fact about Paul hogan,
did u know that b 4 he was famous he used to paint the Syd harbour bridge,till 1 day a lady went to jump off and he talked her out of it. That's how Hogan became Famous...
Look I find Australians generally funny-especially the women.
I love the UK but find the people as funny as wet socks.
Its what you grow up with.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 3:55 pm
Fighting my corner

Arrow Re: UK is not that bad

A lot of English stuff revolves around Puns on the English language and people with pompous accents, airs and pretenses.
Aussie humour is often laughing at the philistine ways of the common man.
I don't think it's as clear cut as that.

I see both these elements in Aussie & Uk humour.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 3:57 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Look I find Australians generally funny-especially the women.
I love the UK but find the people as funny as wet socks.
Its what you grow up with.
"I love the UK but find the people as funny as wet socks."

Strangely ironic that remark...
Old Nov 28th 2005, 3:58 pm
Auspom

Auspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant future

Problem is that they mite tell the same joke's but it's up to the CULTURE'S on how it's received.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 4:02 pm
Banned

If anything you picked on one of the more different aspects.

But you are probably right-all humour is basically the same.
"They" did an experiment once-they showed an audience two skits.
One had obviously Jewish actors with jewish voices and(more importantly) intonations
the other obviously British actors with obviously British voices and expression.
the audience fell for the bait and called the skit with jewish actors a classic Jewish comedy piece, and the English one a classic English piece.
yet they had switched the plot (and exact screenplay) around and in fact the jewish actors were doing a classic british piece and the British actors a classic Jewish piece.
Although you wont find much Aussie humour based on Puns.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 4:04 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Although you wont find much Aussie humour based on Puns.
Are "puns" a minority people then? Ho bloody ho!
Old Nov 28th 2005, 4:05 pm
Banned

Ay any rate fact is that there are people that love Aussie humour but not British, and more often, vice-versa.
The proof is in the eating.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 4:08 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Are "puns" a minority people then? Ho bloody ho!
mmmmmm............I hope that was a joke. If not, thats a worry. A Pun is a play on words that sound similiar. Like that famous Two Ronnies skit. bizarre really bizarre.
I thought England was the home of the English language???
Old Nov 28th 2005, 4:12 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

mmmmmm............I hope that was a joke. If not, thats a worry. A Pun is a play on words that sound similiar. Like that famous Two Ronnies skit. bizarre really bizarre.
I thought England was the home of the English language???
It was demonstrating irony actually. It was an intended crappy joke to play on the subject matter of this discussion.

We gave the world English but they choose to abuse it. Can't be helped, poor savages..Wot wot...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.