Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK housing market

UK housing market

Old Oct 27th 2004, 8:36 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK housing market

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
surely if people keep saying house market will crash then people will stop buying and they will crash????

So i am gonna start the rumour now that they are gonna rise again, so better get on the ladder now while you can peps!!!!!!!

Spread the word folks LOL

laura
laura its reached up here i'v got a offer on my house and it's not even for sale yet!!
keep spreading the word no house crash here
Old Oct 27th 2004, 9:31 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kelli28
laura its reached up here i'v got a offer on my house and it's not even for sale yet!!
In the north east you have still got time to sell now and catch the top of the market.

Already too late for those in the south of England.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 11:10 am
Don
Banned

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
The only bubble that seems to exist on this site is the ever-increasing number of threads that you begin on the 'UK housing bubble'. Is there really so little for you to do in Austria?

Some humble advice - get a life.
I consider I am offering an impartial service - ie impartial advice on the UK housing mkt from someone who follows what's happening to it quite religiously. If even one person bucks up their ideas about selling up faster or is more realistic about achievable price and agrees a sale now, thus avoiding more pain later: then I have helped that person.

Of course, I could be wrong about the UK housing mkt. But everything tells me I'm right this time.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 2:56 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

hi
glad to be of help, did i tell you i have the biggest gob in teesside?

Where are you?

Seriously, I put my house on the market back in August, cos i hate my neighbours. Thought it would sell straight away for top wack, like all the others had been, and i was set to make a lot of profit. So my plan was to buy a cheeper smaller house for cash and not have a mortgage for when i went to Auz......

But it just didnt sell, i had veiwing every day, i was fed up of tidying up and estate agents ringing me, no offers, then on the day i decdied to take it down and save myself the hassle, a women offered me 112,500 when it was up for 119,950 so i told her to go and stick it, where the sun dont shine.....(she had previously offered me 105,000 at first, cheeky thing) Now i am thinking should i have taken it.....

laura
x
Old Oct 27th 2004, 3:00 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

hi

Where are you?

Seriously, I put my house on the market back in August, cos i hate my neighbours. Thought it would sell straight away for top wack, like all the others had been, and i was set to make a lot of profit. So my plan was to buy a cheeper smaller house for cash and not have a mortgage for when i went to Auz......

But it just didnt sell, i had veiwing every day, i was fed up of tidying up and estate agents ringing me, no offers, then on the day i decdied to take it down and save myself the hassle, a women offered me 112,500 when it was up for 119,950 so i told her to go and stick it, where the sun dont shine.....(she had previously offered me 105,000 at first, cheeky thing) Now i am thinking should i have taken it.....

laura
x

Oh by the way the reason i told her to stick it was coz we couldnt afford anything else cheeper as there wasnt anything cheeper, and it was gonna cost £5000, just to move, so it all seemed like a pretty pointless excersise, even renting was twice the monthly amount of my mortgage payments.........NIGHTMARE!

Now i am holding out to sell and just flit off with the cold hard cash£££$$$$$ ching,ching
Old Oct 27th 2004, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

The number of buyers have declined significantly in London, compared to the same period last year, and the number of properties is increasing all the time. Only way to sell is to lower prices - we lopped 10% of ours to find a buyer.

This is not the same as a crash, I can't see where the push will come for that to happen especially with 2005 being an election year. Rather a few years of zero price growth and some softening in frothy areas of the country.

Just my opinion. Sticking proceeds from ours in the bank for now
Old Oct 27th 2004, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

Still just tumbleweed blowing about down here....

Five viewers in as many weeks (includes one revisit).

No offers.

Price dropped £6k. Still no offers. Everyone who's been loves the house - but no offers (not even cheeky ones).

should i put it on ebay???!!!
Old Oct 27th 2004, 10:56 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

im sorry to hear about your houses i know how fustrating it can be a few year ago we tried to sell our first house we only had 2 viewings in 10 months and no offers took it off the market 1 yr later changed agents and got 5 offers in 5 days so keep your chins up guys and i'll cross everything for you
Old Oct 27th 2004, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

liverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really nice

im sorry to hear about your houses i know how fustrating it can be a few year ago we tried to sell our first house we only had 2 viewings in 10 months and no offers took it off the market 1 yr later changed agents and got 5 offers in 5 days so keep your chins up guys and i'll cross everything for you
A mate of mine in Liverpool is selling his house and its been on the market for about 3 - 4 months.
The estate agent told him that 6 months ago they had 4 buyers for every house on their books. Now they have 4 houses for every buyer.............
The market has boomed in Liverpool over the last 2 years, but the last 6 months has been shite, but the prices are not really dropping, they are just not going up as fast as they were.
We are just building an extension because we cant afford to move to a bigger house.
Just hope that the market does pick up when we decide to go to Oz, so we can get a quick sale and a good price
Old Oct 27th 2004, 11:42 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

hi

Where are you?

laura
x
Is this serious? Well, no wonder you are confused! You backed an offer that was only 5% off the asking price. You should have taken this, it seems house prices are going to fall by 30% this year. Slash the price while you can and cut your losses before the crash really sinks in.

Good luck!
Old Oct 28th 2004, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Don
I consider I am offering an impartial service - ie impartial advice on the UK housing mkt from someone who follows what's happening to it quite religiously... But everything tells me I'm right this time.
You sound like a typical religious zealot. High on belief and low on evidence. And like all religious zealots, you are partial to creating a bit of panic - your own version of 'the end is nigh'. Sit down and take a Valium.

As you follow the market so religiously, you will no doubt be aware of the very latest market report with the author commenting "Anybody who believes that they know the outcome of the current market is deluding themself".

No doubt you also believe you are Napoleon.

In terms of market activity, Oz is ~6-9 months ahead of the UK. The market in Oz is yet to crash, and it has worse fundamentals than the UK. Now, there are no guarantees, but that indicates to me that a UK crash isn't likely.

One thing is certain, the UK market has entered a 'wait and see' phase. This is just the time when people shouldn't sell - as buyers will seek substantial discounts to compensate them for the market uncertainty.
Old Oct 28th 2004, 7:51 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Mortgagees of Straw

Straw in the wind:

October 28, 2004

"COURT actions to repossess homes have leapt to the highest for four years as over-stretched property owners struggle to cope with increased mortgage rates."

More owners lose their homes as rate rises bite
Old Oct 28th 2004, 10:27 am
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

You sound like a typical religious zealot. High on belief and low on evidence. And like all religious zealots, you are partial to creating a bit of panic - your own version of 'the end is nigh'. Sit down and take a Valium.

As you follow the market so religiously, you will no doubt be aware of the very latest market report with the author commenting "Anybody who believes that they know the outcome of the current market is deluding themself".

In terms of market activity, Oz is ~6-9 months ahead of the UK. The market in Oz is yet to crash, and it has worse fundamentals than the UK. Now, there are no guarantees, but that indicates to me that a UK crash isn't likely.

One thing is certain, the UK market has entered a 'wait and see' phase. This is just the time when people shouldn't sell - as buyers will seek substantial discounts to compensate them for the market uncertainty.

Hi Mike,
I agree with you on the Uk market entering a 'wait and see' phase. Apparently Mortgage Day is at the end of October, which is when all the big lenders along with the FSA (Ithink that's what my dad called it) are having a big shake up. Even my dad who depends on mortgage conversions is telling people to hang fire until they know what is happening. He thinks things will get better after 3rd or 4th November. So fingers crossed for all who is trying to sell that things will pick up soon.
Sarah
Old Oct 28th 2004, 10:36 am
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough

Funny though Mike
I have been told by a very reliable source in WA that housing at the moment is very stagnated and he is expecting a down turn of some sort next year ...

I don't want to name him but he is a family friend and quite a big real estate agent in northern perth ...

Just putting my two pennies worth in ...
Old Oct 28th 2004, 10:38 am
Don
Banned

Looks like our biggest UK building society thinks you're wrong, Mike,Big falls in the UK housing market, average house price down GBP2140 since July 2004. As reported by the Nationwide this morning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.