Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The UK has changed for the worse

The UK has changed for the worse

Old Jun 16th 2003, 3:03 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default The UK has changed for the worse

You dreamers are right this is my worst nightmare , how can a slob like me fit into this kind of country .
After living with the battlers for 9 years how can I get into this lifestyle?

British men are no longer insensitive, macho slobs, according to a new study out today.

Many have turned into what the report calls "metrosexuals", straight men who know and care about fashion, food, and good grooming, it is claimed.

Australia's Kylie Minogue and British actress Felicity Kendal are the women of their dreams - in different roles.

Given just one wish, nearly a third would choose to grow old with the woman they love (the most-chosen scenario), while 19 per cent would wish that their children have happy, healthy lives.

The woman described by most British men as "closest to my ideal wife" is Felicity Kendal, star of '80s and often repeated sitcom The Good Life, with 21 per cent.

As a dream lover, 25 per cent of men chose Kylie Minogue, way ahead of Rachel Stevens from the British pop group, Sclub7, the choice of 18 per cent.

And if Felicity is unavailable as a spouse, second choice is Nigella Lawson, with 13 per cent, and Rachel Stevens is third, with 12 per cent. Marge Simpson scored 4.2 per cent.

http://theage.com.au/articles/2003/0...615706606.html

Old Jun 16th 2003, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The UK has changed for the worse

Originally posted by pommie bastard

men who know and care about fashion, food, and good grooming, it is claimed.
This is not something even I would accuse the ozzies of.

I have always been the smartest dresser wherever I have lived. Many blokes around here dress worse to go out than I used to when I worked on site. I suppose they dress appropriately for their interests in life though - armchair sport and drinking is the limit for some of my neighbours.
Old Jun 16th 2003, 3:22 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Wilf
This is not something even I would accuse the ozzies of.

I have always been the smartest dresser wherever I have lived. Many blokes around here dress worse to go out than I used to when I worked on site. I suppose they dress appropriately for their interests in life though - armchair sport and drinking is the limit for some of my neighbours.
This is worry me suits here have been attacted by moths as the national dress requires less than smart casual and stains from eating Hungry Jack Whoppers are a must.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jun 16th 2003 at 3:37 am.
Old Jun 16th 2003, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

This is worry me suits here have been attacted by moths as the national dress requires less than smart casual and stains from eatting eatting Hungry Jack Whoppers are a must.

Few years ago some friends of ours came over on holiday for their 40th wedding anniversary and my wife had to stop our friend dipping in her handbag to give money to teenagers with no shoes. We told her they were not down and outs and that is part of the 'national dress' as you say. I still think it looks funny after all this time.

You wear a suit here and people wish you luck with the trial.
Old Jun 16th 2003, 3:40 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Few years ago some friends of ours came over on holiday for their 40th wedding anniversary and my wife had to stop our friend dipping in her handbag to give money to teenagers with no shoes. We told her they were not down and outs and that is part of the 'national dress' as you say. I still think it looks funny after all this time.

You wear a suit here and people wish you luck with the trial.
Anyone offered to pith in your helmet lately?
Old Jun 16th 2003, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Megalania
Anyone offered to pith in your helmet lately?
It is true though is it not? You ozzies spend more on foot plasters than shoes. I do not expect suits and cravattes, but you have to draw the line.
In the street outside your house to play? OK, this is the same as when I grew up. But in the supermarket leaving a mud footprint trail to the beer chillers? I have even been at a public council meeting with someone on the platform without shoes. This is not the done thing surely?
Old Jun 16th 2003, 4:07 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

It is true though is it not? You ozzies spend more on foot plasters than shoes. I do not expect suits and cravattes, but you have to draw the line.
In the street outside your house to play? OK, this is the same as when I grew up. But in the supermarket leaving a mud footprint trail to the beer chillers? I have even been at a public council meeting with someone on the platform without shoes. This is not the done thing surely?
It could make for an interesting public meeting if only nudists were entitled to enter.
Old Jun 16th 2003, 4:10 am
Banned

It could make for an interesting public meeting if only nudists were entitled to enter.

Having seen the figures of some of the locals I will vote against your idea.

Old Jun 16th 2003, 4:17 am
Banned

Having seen the figures of some of the locals I will vote against your idea.

The simple solution for you is to continue not looking in mirrors.
Old Jun 16th 2003, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

You would not say this if you lived in my area. The 50 year old couple at the end of the street are called "The Kids" and most of the antiques that go to the meetings are in need of a steam pressing (I am no exception).
Old Jun 16th 2003, 4:20 am
Banned

The simple solution for you is to continue not looking in mirrors.
I have a reflection this is news to me , the films that my wife watches give me the impresstion the undead have none?

Old Jun 16th 2003, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

I have a reflection this is news to me , the films that my wife watches give me the impresstion the undead have none?

You are talking about that young feller who is backpacking round Brisbane on taxpayers money, no? He leaves a trail of puncture marks in pay packets it seems.
Old Jun 16th 2003, 4:26 am
Banned

You are talking about that young feller who is backpacking round Brisbane on taxpayers money, no? He leaves a trail of puncture marks in pay packets it seems.

Blood sucking is not the game it was , too many youngsters trying to get in on the act.