Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK GPS Receiver?

UK GPS Receiver?

Old Oct 14th 2005, 3:00 pm
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice
Default UK GPS Receiver?

Will it work in Aus (with the correct maps of course!!)
Old Oct 14th 2005, 4:20 pm
Meow!

TigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud of
Default Re: UK GPS Receiver?

You could send it me and Ill try it for you if you like?

Just kidding...

TF

Originally Posted by cam_uk
Will it work in Aus (with the correct maps of course!!)
Old Oct 14th 2005, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TigerFeet
You could send it me and Ill try it for you if you like?

Just kidding...

TF
They work anywhere, I have a GPS receiver and Tomtom (with the Australia map) and I'm hoping to use it when we land in Sydney in 23 days (I'm sooooo excited!!)
Old Oct 14th 2005, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

CheekyWeetus will become famous soon enough

I recently investigated the same thing, wanting to buy here in the US for use in Aus. The built in maps is one issue, but depending on the make/model it is possible that they will lose accuracy.

The way it was explained to me is that typically a unit needs 3 satellites to take a position fix, and most have the ability to actually use 6 satellites. When operated in their intended region it tends to be the same set of satellites depending on the time, however when moved outside of their region the unit needs to establish a new set of satellites which requires that the unit spend extended periods of time (several hours over several occasions) on to set these links up.

True or not? I have no idea, but for an American salesperson to talk me out of a purchase it was enough to make me wait.

Good luck.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 5:35 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

a GPS receiver will work anywhere in the world that it can see enough satellites (the poles are not so good I believe, and it isnt' very good in "urban canyons", or when diving ).

Your bigger issue may be getting maps for your device, and/or the cost of them.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 7:09 pm
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice

Originally Posted by walaj
a GPS receiver will work anywhere in the world that it can see enough satellites (the poles are not so good I believe, and it isnt' very good in "urban canyons", or when diving ).

Your bigger issue may be getting maps for your device, and/or the cost of them.

I just need to get the tom tom maps gor aus then ..

is basically my mobile phone, it connects to a bluetooth gps receiver ...

should work okay then .. excellent ..

I wonder if i can get the rolf harris voice pack
Old Oct 14th 2005, 7:18 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Now there is a market,

Never mind the green frog, go get a little rolf!

Bye
Mark
Old Oct 14th 2005, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Getting the map isn't easy, I found it by using Limewire (do a search on Google for it)
Otherwise I can open the map in Tomtom and plan the route from Sydney airport to the place we are staying for a couple of nights (Palm Beach)
Works a treat
Old Oct 14th 2005, 7:44 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Getting the map isn't easy, I found it by using Limewire (do a search on Google for it)
Otherwise I can open the map in Tomtom and plan the route from Sydney airport to the place we are staying for a couple of nights (Palm Beach)
Works a treat
OOOO lovely Palm beach is fanbloomintastic there was a great fish and chip shop there back in 94 , if its still there enjoy
Old Oct 14th 2005, 11:26 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

The Oz maps are not very good: in fact, TomTom told me last year they were not prepared to sell their units in Oz because they didn't consider the available mapping to be of sufficient quality.

I'd love to know whether they've found better maps or just succumbed!
Old Oct 15th 2005, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

Pickle has a spectacular aura aboutPickle has a spectacular aura aboutPickle has a spectacular aura about

Get rid of the Tom Tom and buy a proper GPS unit, garmin have been in the GPS game for a long time and do a great line of differant units and the mapping software is great both on land or on water.

I've been looking into getting a gps for use here and in oz and ended up buying a garmin after the people at tom tom said that there uk units won't work in oz................. don't know if its true but its something to do with the base maps they use, europe or oz or america. I got myself a garmin quest. best thing i ever bought. just need to buy the aussie map when i get there as its cheaper to buy the unit here but the maps in oz.
check out e-bay for bargins.
if its on a mobile you might just be ok, I hope.
best of luck.
Old Oct 15th 2005, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
The Oz maps are not very good: in fact, TomTom told me last year they were not prepared to sell their units in Oz because they didn't consider the available mapping to be of sufficient quality.

I'd love to know whether they've found better maps or just succumbed!
They look OK to me, I ran the demo route from Kingsford Smith Airport to Baranjoey Road, Palm Beach and it looked as good as the UK map. I think that Destinator 3 is the popular one to use in OZ, trouble is they charge $299 (US) dollars for the OZ map.
Tomtom may have changed things since last year