Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK fridge/freezers

UK fridge/freezers

Old Aug 7th 2009, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

jtr648 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK fridge/freezers

I have been advised by the removal company surveyor not to buy an American style fridge freezer (or any other type of fridge freezer) in the UK and ship it out to Oz as they are designed for the UK climate and not that encountered in Oz.

Are there any refrigeration engineers on this site who would argue to the contrary or even expats who have taken fridge freezers over and have found no problems with their appliances. Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

I ask this as our fridge freezer has just died (under warranty) and I would prefer to replace it in the UK as it would be considerable cheaper.

Thanks.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 8:14 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of
Default Re: UK fridge/freezers

Originally Posted by jtr648
I have been advised by the removal company surveyor not to buy an American style fridge freezer (or any other type of fridge freezer) in the UK and ship it out to Oz as they are designed for the UK climate and not that encountered in Oz.

Are there any refrigeration engineers on this site who would argue to the contrary or even expats who have taken fridge freezers over and have found no problems with their appliances. Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

I ask this as our fridge freezer has just died (under warranty) and I would prefer to replace it in the UK as it would be considerable cheaper.

Thanks.
I'm taking my half-height freezer. I've seen threads here where people have said they took there's and had no problems.

- CDM
Old Aug 7th 2009, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Zenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to all

I know of people who have taken their fridge/freezers and had no problems.

We are not taking our american style one as we have had many problems with it and it is only 4 years old. It stuffed up about a month after the warranty ran out and we have had to have parts replaced twice. Don't buy Samsung if you do buy one.

The other problem you may have is that customs requires all your possessions to be more than 12 months old and can charge you duty on it if they can tell it is less than this. It is easy for them to tell the age of electrical items as it is usually stamped somewhere with serial numbers etc. Not sure how vigilant they are but worthwhile being aware of it.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Satch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to all

I am no expert but I cannot see what the difference would be. Ours is the same brand and model that we have in our house in Florida and in the UK and they both operate fine in both countries.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

jtr648;

if its 230V then there is no problem at all we brought ours with us 12 years ago & its still working fine in melbourne australia
Old Aug 8th 2009, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Our British Whirlpool Fridge Freezer works much better that the Oz Whirlpool Fridge Freezer we bought (we run the two side by side - one for food, one for beer). So take the UK one....
Old Aug 8th 2009, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

They will be fine - another urban myth...

As for the 12 months old rule. DO not know of a single person who has ever had a problem and I doubt anyone will unless you make it very obvious that the item is still in its box and even then customs have enough on their plate without goign through everything...

You'll be fine.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

Hi

We had a guy round a few days ago to do a quoter for shipping and he said that we would not be able to take our freezer to Australia due to CFC restrictions!!!!

I cannot find any official reference to this restriction, so why do they say this?

Charlie
Old Aug 8th 2009, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

My american FF is currently in my container. Not expecting any problems with it.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 11:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Old fridges and freezers that had CFCs in them cannot be brought over. All fridges and freezers made in the past few years have been CFC free so are fine to ship. Look at the label on the back. Should tell you if your one is CFC free or not.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

Thanks. Will check out the label. Keeping fingers crossed as the freezer is 4 years old but was quite expensive.

Charlie
Old Aug 8th 2009, 12:13 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charlie5
Hi

We had a guy round a few days ago to do a quoter for shipping and he said that we would not be able to take our freezer to Australia due to CFC restrictions!!!!

I cannot find any official reference to this restriction, so why do they say this?

Charlie
This guy is talking out if his arse and should know better.

Bring the fridge.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

jtr648 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the responses folks.

As I said at the beginning, our fridge has died under warranty and I have the opportunity to replace it with Currys. By doing it while I am still in the UK could save me almost £600 on the prices that I have seen on some websites in Oz.

I was just concerned by the comment made by the surveyor that the new one could struggle in Oz. But your comments were just what I wanted to hear, thank you.

John
Old Aug 8th 2009, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by charlie5
Thanks. Will check out the label. Keeping fingers crossed as the freezer is 4 years old but was quite expensive.

Charlie
As said, it will be fine. Mosts CFC's stopped going into fridges about 10-15 years ago...

Love it when muppet removal people provide information that is so obviously wrong to those that have done it, yet you would be inclined to beleive them if you did not have a resource such as this...
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes but 3 shippers have now said that I need a certificate to confirm tat the freezer doesn't have CFCs. I can't find the website now but I also saw reference to the need to have the system evacuated and refilled by an authoriesd technician at my expense.

I feel I am banging my head against a brick wall on this one!!

Charlie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.