Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Flags on display in Aus !

UK Flags on display in Aus !

Old Aug 7th 2007, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Bunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really nice
Default UK Flags on display in Aus !

I was driving to work in Brisbane today and I passed one of those half pint 4WDs -I think it was a Mazda Tribune or whatever. Anyway, I could not help noticing that it had a little England flag dangling from the front mirror and another England (flag) sticker in the back. Worse than that though, it had a sign in the side window that read “Leeds” in big letters!!! Now although I don’t have any flags on display in my car I often see the odd car with an English or Scottish flag on the back and given that there aren’t any big sports events on at the moment I assume it's just a little national pride? So, if one is so patriotic (or loves Leeds so much) then what are they doing here ? The only flag I am likely to get will be an Aussie one.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 11:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Flags on display in Aus !

Originally Posted by Bunna_Wabbit
I was driving to work in Brisbane today and I passed one of those half pint 4WDs -I think it was a Mazda Tribune or whatever. Anyway, I could not help noticing that it had a little England flag dangling from the front mirror and another England (flag) sticker in the back. Worse than that though, it had a sign in the side window that read “Leeds” in big letters!!! Now although I don’t have any flags on display in my car I often see the odd car with an English or Scottish flag on the back and given that there aren’t any big sports events on at the moment I assume it's just a little national pride? So, if one is so patriotic (or loves Leeds so much) then what are they doing here ? The only flag I am likely to get will be an Aussie one.
Cant see anything wrong with flying flags myself !
Old Aug 7th 2007, 11:49 am

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

People do it wherever you are in the world. I always find it interesting.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

charb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant future

So, if one is so patriotic (or loves Leeds so much) then what are they doing here ? The only flag I am likely to get will be an Aussie one.
Myself & my OH both have 'Swindon Town' stickers & the kit sucker 'thing' in the rear window. (ok, ok, that is a little sad,can't believe I've admitted this !!!) Don't see anything wrong with showing your colours, whether they be Aussie or not.

ETA, actually, when I we were in the UK, I drove around with the Aussie car flags during the World Cup (dual nationality), boy did I get some strange looks - I sure stood out amongst all the St George ones !!!

Last edited by charb; Aug 7th 2007 at 11:56 am.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charb

ETA, actually, when I we were in the UK, I drove around with the Aussie car flags during the World Cup (dual nationality), boy did I get some strange looks - I sure stood out amongst all the St George ones !!!
Not if they were St George Illawarra
Old Aug 7th 2007, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Pipers Mummy is on a distinguished road

Why shouldn't I have my 'I love Wigan' flag in my car? I am very proud of where I come from and I find it a great talking point. Often Aussies want to know about Wigan and i find myself chatting for ages about Wigan Pier and the canals (and barges of course ). I'm very happy here but I also love Wigan lots and have found my flag a great opportunity to educate people about the wonderful town
Old Aug 7th 2007, 12:08 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pipers Mummy
Why shouldn't I have my 'I love Wigan' flag in my car? I am very proud of where I come from and I find it a great talking point. Often Aussies want to know about Wigan and i find myself chatting for ages about Wigan Pier and the canals (and barges of course ). I'm very happy here but I also love Wigan lots and have found my flag a great opportunity to educate people about the wonderful town
where is wigan?

hey were all gods children,,,is it really important,,there are more important things happening in the world at the momment without worrying about a few little flags..

peace man,power to the people ,where ever they come from,even wigan

hey i had a good friend from oldham called big terry,he was my neighbour in turkey..hes massive about 6'6,,do you know him??

Last edited by aston man; Aug 7th 2007 at 12:21 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 12:09 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

we have a Scottish sticker on the front and god forbid the back of our ute too.

We also have a big Scottish Flag and Aussie flag flying outside our house
Old Aug 7th 2007, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by aston man
where is wigan?

hey were all gods children,,,is it really important,,there are more important things happening in the world at the momment without worrying about a few little flags..

peace man,power to the people ,where ever they come from,even wigan
Please don't tell me you've never heard of Wigan Pier????????? See, you'd be interested in my flag! About 45 minutes North of Manchester. We have quite a distinctive accent......

Peace Man
Old Aug 7th 2007, 12:14 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

I find it a bit embarrassing myself. Not sure why.

Graham
Old Aug 7th 2007, 12:17 pm
Here At Last!!

frogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nice

i have a wigan latics badge in my car and im VERY proud of it !!!!!i think australia is great but i am also proud of were im from

lisa
Old Aug 7th 2007, 12:24 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pipers Mummy
Please don't tell me you've never heard of Wigan Pier????????? See, you'd be interested in my flag! About 45 minutes North of Manchester. We have quite a distinctive accent......

Peace Man
hey i have a mate called big terry from oldham,he was my neighbour in turkey,you cant miss him hes about 7 foot tall...do you know him
Old Aug 7th 2007, 12:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing wrong with retaining pride in your native country by displaying their flag, or by continuing to support a team from afar. Just because one moves to Aus doesn't mean one is turning one's back on their home country. Some of us even wish we were still there, why should we fly an Aussie flag when are hearts are back in Britain?

And before anyone trots out the old "go home then" line....remember its not that easy for some of us

Last edited by Pollyana; Aug 7th 2007 at 1:42 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by aston man
hey i have a mate called big terry from oldham,he was my neighbour in turkey,you cant miss him hes about 7 foot tall...do you know him
I'm afraid I don't think I know 'Big Terry' Aston Man. Does he like flags?
Old Aug 7th 2007, 12:36 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Nothing wrong with retaining pride in your native country by displaying their flag, or by continuing to support a team from afar. Just because one moves to Aus doesn't mean one is turning one's back on their home country. Some of us even wish we were still there, why should we fly an Aussie flag when are hearts are back in Britain?

And before anyone trots out the old "go home then" line....remember its not hat easy for some of us
i once said that....shame on me...until you have left the u.k you dont know what its like to move all your family over here..i hope i never have any thoughts of going back....i feel for people that miss home ,if a little flag gives you comfort,then why not...

after all we all have one in common where ever we come from in this crazy world,and what ever colour our flag..we all came here in search of a better life..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.