British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Uk electrical goods in oz ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/uk-electrical-goods-oz-747564/)

tinaandco Feb 6th 2012 9:35 am

Uk electrical goods in oz ?

Hi, can anyone tell me if our televisions will work in oz because of the digital change over ?
Also is it worth my hubby taking his power tools with us ?
We are going in June Xx

Tramps_mate Feb 6th 2012 10:04 am

Re: Uk electrical goods in oz ?

I believe they all do work in oz, you will just need to change the plugs..

energysolutions Feb 6th 2012 10:33 am

Hmmm, I`m not so sure that they do

Electrically they will work (same voltage, just need the plug changed) and they will still connect to any external devices (like satellite boxes, PS3s etc) in the same way (eg HDMI 1, EXT 3) but I recall someone saying that OZ recieves TV via a different tuner to the UK (cant remember the specifics)

I cant be 100%, hopefully someone more clued up than me will be able to confirm or deny this

If this is the case it would mean purchasing a set top box (like a Freeview box) that recieves the signal, converts it and connects to your TV as an input (HDMI 1, EXT 1 etc)

Or you could buy a new TV, supposedly they`re reasonably keen cash in OZ.........

Alfresco Feb 6th 2012 10:42 am

Power tools will be fine. :thumbup:

As for the TVs, check with manufacturer if they will work in Oz. Some can get picture and sound, some don't.

But a set top box will most likely work ok on any (fairly modern) TV.

Tramps_mate Feb 6th 2012 10:47 am

I wasnt expecting an internal Free view set to work. But the TV will have power! As Alfresco says buy an Aussie digi box!

tinaandco Feb 6th 2012 9:50 pm

Thanks for all your advise xx

GarryP Feb 7th 2012 12:58 am

As regards the telly, check out which countries you can set it to.

Australia runs on a 7Mhz rather than 8Mhz channel spacing. If you can set it to countries with the right spacing you can usually make it work (although often in only SD, not HD). See if its got "Australia" or if EU only, "Austria" (I think).

Mind, I put another cheap digibox on mine to get the HD channels.

newlife_downunder Feb 7th 2012 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 9886430)
Power tools will be fine. :thumbup:

As for the TVs, check with manufacturer if they will work in Oz. Some can get picture and sound, some don't.

But a set top box will most likely work ok on any (fairly modern) TV.

:thumbsup: I am in agreement with Alfresco - bring it all if you are getting a container. All power tools work, TV's work with a set-top box which can be purchased cheaply. We use our UK LG 42" TV no probs with a set top box - without one we either have a picture and no sound, or sound and no picture!

What I will say is bring your UK extension leads, and then go to bunnings and change over the plug to an aussie one - sorted ;) you can run your UK electrical items til your hearts content.

The only thing we found that was not compatible was the telephone (as in landline).

Good luck

Amazulu Feb 7th 2012 1:08 am

Originally Posted by newlife_downunder (Post 9887805)
The only thing we found that was not compatible was the telephone (as in landline).

But will be with one of these:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/bt-us-adaptors-12492

newlife_downunder Feb 7th 2012 2:11 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 9887810)
But will be with one of these:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/bt-us-adaptors-12492

:thumbup: Ah well, we bought a new phone instead :lol:

rab Feb 7th 2012 6:36 am

Originally Posted by tinaandco (Post 9886330)
Hi, can anyone tell me if our televisions will work in oz because of the digital change over ?
Also is it worth my hubby taking his power tools with us ?
We are going in June Xx

A worthwhile tip is if don't want to change all your plugs on your combined items (ie. Your PC and printer / monitor / speakers or your TV / amplifier HD drive etc) is to bring 4 or 6 socket power board and just change the one plug.

Someone will tell you. It's illegal but once you renew or upgrade your PC or TV etc you will end up with Aussie plugs.

Alfresco Feb 7th 2012 7:27 am

Originally Posted by newlife_downunder (Post 9887805)
:thumbsup: I am in agreement with Alfresco - bring it all if you are getting a container. All power tools work, TV's work with a set-top box which can be purchased cheaply. We use our UK LG 42" TV no probs with a set top box - without one we either have a picture and no sound, or sound and no picture!

What I will say is bring your UK extension leads, and then go to bunnings and change over the plug to an aussie one - sorted ;) you can run your UK electrical items til your hearts content.

Good luck

Originally Posted by rab (Post 9888072)
A worthwhile tip is if don't want to change all your plugs on your combined items (ie. Your PC and printer / monitor / speakers or your TV / amplifier HD drive etc) is to bring 4 or 6 socket power board and just change the one plug.

Someone will tell you. It's illegal but once you renew or upgrade your PC or TV etc you will end up with Aussie plugs.

Agree on both counts for the UK power strips. We brought them all with us and changed the plug to an Oz one.

Still changed loads of plugs on individual items though.

If anyone wants spare UK plugs, I have quite a few of them. :D