Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Uk electrical goods in oz ?

Uk electrical goods in oz ?

Old Feb 6th 2012, 9:35 am
Just Joined

tinaandco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Uk electrical goods in oz ?

Hi, can anyone tell me if our televisions will work in oz because of the digital change over ?
Also is it worth my hubby taking his power tools with us ?
We are going in June Xx
Old Feb 6th 2012, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Uk electrical goods in oz ?

I believe they all do work in oz, you will just need to change the plugs..
Old Feb 6th 2012, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm, I`m not so sure that they do

Electrically they will work (same voltage, just need the plug changed) and they will still connect to any external devices (like satellite boxes, PS3s etc) in the same way (eg HDMI 1, EXT 3) but I recall someone saying that OZ recieves TV via a different tuner to the UK (cant remember the specifics)

I cant be 100%, hopefully someone more clued up than me will be able to confirm or deny this

If this is the case it would mean purchasing a set top box (like a Freeview box) that recieves the signal, converts it and connects to your TV as an input (HDMI 1, EXT 1 etc)

Or you could buy a new TV, supposedly they`re reasonably keen cash in OZ.........
Old Feb 6th 2012, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Power tools will be fine.

As for the TVs, check with manufacturer if they will work in Oz. Some can get picture and sound, some don't.

But a set top box will most likely work ok on any (fairly modern) TV.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

I wasnt expecting an internal Free view set to work. But the TV will have power! As Alfresco says buy an Aussie digi box!
Old Feb 6th 2012, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

tinaandco is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your advise xx
Old Feb 7th 2012, 12:58 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

As regards the telly, check out which countries you can set it to.

Australia runs on a 7Mhz rather than 8Mhz channel spacing. If you can set it to countries with the right spacing you can usually make it work (although often in only SD, not HD). See if its got "Australia" or if EU only, "Austria" (I think).

Mind, I put another cheap digibox on mine to get the HD channels.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

newlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nice

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Power tools will be fine.

As for the TVs, check with manufacturer if they will work in Oz. Some can get picture and sound, some don't.

But a set top box will most likely work ok on any (fairly modern) TV.
I am in agreement with Alfresco - bring it all if you are getting a container. All power tools work, TV's work with a set-top box which can be purchased cheaply. We use our UK LG 42" TV no probs with a set top box - without one we either have a picture and no sound, or sound and no picture!

What I will say is bring your UK extension leads, and then go to bunnings and change over the plug to an aussie one - sorted you can run your UK electrical items til your hearts content.

The only thing we found that was not compatible was the telephone (as in landline).

Good luck
Old Feb 7th 2012, 1:08 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newlife_downunder
The only thing we found that was not compatible was the telephone (as in landline).
But will be with one of these:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/bt-us-adaptors-12492
Old Feb 7th 2012, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

newlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nice

Originally Posted by Amazulu
But will be with one of these:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/bt-us-adaptors-12492
Ah well, we bought a new phone instead
Old Feb 7th 2012, 6:36 am
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinaandco
Hi, can anyone tell me if our televisions will work in oz because of the digital change over ?
Also is it worth my hubby taking his power tools with us ?
We are going in June Xx
A worthwhile tip is if don't want to change all your plugs on your combined items (ie. Your PC and printer / monitor / speakers or your TV / amplifier HD drive etc) is to bring 4 or 6 socket power board and just change the one plug.

Someone will tell you. It's illegal but once you renew or upgrade your PC or TV etc you will end up with Aussie plugs.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newlife_downunder
I am in agreement with Alfresco - bring it all if you are getting a container. All power tools work, TV's work with a set-top box which can be purchased cheaply. We use our UK LG 42" TV no probs with a set top box - without one we either have a picture and no sound, or sound and no picture!

What I will say is bring your UK extension leads, and then go to bunnings and change over the plug to an aussie one - sorted you can run your UK electrical items til your hearts content.

Good luck
Originally Posted by rab
A worthwhile tip is if don't want to change all your plugs on your combined items (ie. Your PC and printer / monitor / speakers or your TV / amplifier HD drive etc) is to bring 4 or 6 socket power board and just change the one plug.

Someone will tell you. It's illegal but once you renew or upgrade your PC or TV etc you will end up with Aussie plugs.

Agree on both counts for the UK power strips. We brought them all with us and changed the plug to an Oz one.

Still changed loads of plugs on individual items though.

If anyone wants spare UK plugs, I have quite a few of them.