Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK driving licence and Aus speeding points

UK driving licence and Aus speeding points

Old Nov 3rd 2005, 10:05 am
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK driving licence and Aus speeding points

Been living in SA for 23 months and got permanent residency in August. I understand that I have to surrender my UK driving licence within three months of getting my PR and swap it for an SA licence.

In January this year I was fined for speeding (67 in a country 50 zone on a Sunday afternoon in the middle of nowhere, yeah I know my fault but believe me the road was empty etc etc etc).

Anyway, do I get those points at all. I am pretty sure my UK licence was not endorsed but will the points be "saved" and transferred onto an SA licence? Anyone had the same? I would guess so as the speed limits are lower than the UK in general and it is easy to "speed" here.

Also I went through a camera last week and am pretty sure that I got "caught" again (saw the whites of the guys eyes this time as his gun flashed me twice at about 7.00 a.m., again on an empty road).

Should I swap my licence now or wait until the other ticket comes (take the fine not the points), or I am in the proverbial all ends up.

Is there a big problem or fine for surrending a UK licence outside the three months as there was ni inication on any correspondence from DIMIA. I only spotted it on some page on the transport.sa website.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

chris_de is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK driving licence and Aus speeding points

Originally Posted by rab
Should I swap my licence now or wait until the other ticket comes (take the fine not the points), or I am in the proverbial all ends up.
Did you get pulled up by the coppers for speeding or was it a speed camera? I guess then it all goes back to your car, and who owns it... If SA Transport can link you with your UK licence to your Aussie licence you may have to explain yourself... but what the hey... its a stupid rule anyway.

If possible you can simply say that the points and fine go to your aussie license and you have destroyed your UK one already... but forgot to go through the formilities. I think they simple put a hole in the licence.

Some people may not be amused by this and argue "ignorance is no excuse".

I suggest you use your Aussie drivers licence in Australia and overseas your UK one because it is valid all over Europe and holds more weight than an Aussie one internationally. What the bureaucrats don't know wont hurt them.
Old Nov 5th 2005, 6:54 am
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for those suggestions.

Can anyone confirm if "points" accrued while driving on a UK licence will be passed to a new Australian one?
Old Nov 5th 2005, 7:18 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rab
Thanks for those suggestions.

Can anyone confirm if "points" accrued while driving on a UK licence will be passed to a new Australian one?
Yes they will be transferred to your Australian licence as a few posters have found out in the past.