Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Debt - Leaving it behind - Curiosity Question ?? :-)

UK Debt - Leaving it behind - Curiosity Question ?? :-)

Old Aug 17th 2005, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Debt - Leaving it behind - Curiosity Question ?? :-)

Originally Posted by leedslad
My brother had a friend who was a bank manager before he left the uk. This guy was advising my brother to take out loans from as many banks as possible as long as it was under 2k. Banks don't bother even chasing you for that amount.

This was from a bank manager of a high street bank.

My brother didn't take his advise because he didn't want to be looking over his shoulder in Oz, but you tell me who the crooks are.
Don't you believe it.

I borrowed 700 pounds from the student loan company in the UK in 1993 when I went to Uni (you were only allowed that amount at the time) then dropped out of Uni (long story) and didn't repay (for a while).

Letters were sent to my home address (where my parents lived) and to every house on the road, in order to find my whereabouts. When that failed to recover me, the debt was sent to debt collectors and when they had no joy it went to court and I got a CCJ against my name.

I was very stupid, buried my head in the sand (because I could not repay the debt at the time) and paid the price.

Am now CCJ free and took a long hard while to rebuild my credit rating. I have done so by borrowing and repaying every month, on time, without fail.m Paid all our debts up before we left for OZ, I have a clear concience and no debts (bar a mortgage).

Your bank manager friend is an idiot.

(See, I told you I wasn't perfect)
Old Aug 17th 2005, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Davey is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dazby
Hey guys .... calm down .... I was only asking a curiosity question ... not asking for answers on morality .... personally I've never NOT paid my debts ... but I would certainly hold my hand up to 'at times' to not leading a moralistic lifestyle .... hence I would never preach to others ... I was just curious to know if UK debts can be traced once anindividual no longer lives in the UK .... thats all
Yes they can trace you - i know of someone who defaulted on a mortgage - handed the keys back to the building society, even though they reached an agreement with the building society and some 10 -12 years later recieved a letter in Aus asking questions after they had registered with Telstra or something along those lines...

So beware they may/will come back and haunt you when you least expect it.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 10:36 am
Jonah & Suzie's Daddy!!!

Sir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bridiej
It's all very well saying "they rip us off with top interest rates" but no one forces you to take a loan / credit card or whatever.

I am not holier than thou BUT we work bloody hard to pay for what we have and it makes me mad that people borrow beyond their means and then just leave it behind and start again.
at the end of the day our opinions aren't worth shit if someone has made up their minds not to pay they won't ....... i said personally i wouldn't but have made the choice to pay off all my debts.... which to be honest me and claire have nearly paid off everyone we owed all we have is the mortgage car and a loan now which will be paid off when we sell our house as it has tripled in price in the last 2 years
Old Aug 17th 2005, 10:54 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sir Les Patterson
i said personally i wouldn't but have made the choice to pay off all my debts....

Old Aug 17th 2005, 10:54 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sir Les Patterson
at the end of the day our opinions aren't worth shit if someone has made up their minds not to pay they won't ....... i said personally i wouldn't but have made the choice to pay off all my debts.... which to be honest me and claire have nearly paid off everyone we owed all we have is the mortgage car and a loan now which will be paid off when we sell our house as it has tripled in price in the last 2 years
True - but we are still entitled to those opinions - just as people are entitled to disagree with them.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 11:06 am
Jonah & Suzie's Daddy!!!

Sir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud of

cheeky lol
Old Aug 17th 2005, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

kev235 has a brilliant futurekev235 has a brilliant futurekev235 has a brilliant futurekev235 has a brilliant futurekev235 has a brilliant futurekev235 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dazby
Hi there ....

Just a little curious ... my partner has the usual UK debts ... credit cards/loans etc etc and is thingking of just 'leaving' them behind when we move to Oz in December .... we have no intention of moving back to the UK in the forseeable future ... if ever ... we have a friend who moved to Oz over two years ago and left behind over 80k's worth of debt and he aint heard a thing since.

Just curious to know other folks opinions

cheers x
Hi, I have read threads on this subject before, and although very heartening that there are so many "honest" people out there, it is also sickening to read threads with such high and mighty views, surely you can not all be perfect ! Many people through inexperience and unforeseen circumstances find they fall in to debt, on the same token some borrowers simply are just stupid. Why can we not all look at the larger picture and just accept that sometimes when an opportunity arises to get out of a sticky patch most/some of us would consider it, and I am not referring to anything that suggests personal harm to other individuals, more the big institutions. So rather than being very quick to view with the god like approach, why not look back during your own life's and consider at times when you have been tempted to perhaps wriggle a little in order to protect your position, has no one ever lied on a CV ? anyone tried to get out of a parking fine unjustly? how about if you find a tenner in the street, do you run with it to the police station ? Perhaps you are the one that would leave a note on a car windscreen to let the owner know you scratched it by mistake, perhaps you are not ! probably not very good examples, but hopefully you see the point.

I really do not have a view/opinion on the thread, just some of the pious replies. Anyway, feel better for that and good luck to you all

Kev
Old Aug 17th 2005, 11:13 am

Slight difference in finding a tenner in the street and meaningfully taking out loans for thousands of pounds that you have no intention of paying back
Old Aug 17th 2005, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

leedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=

Your bank manager friend is an idiot.

[/QUOTE]

He wasn't my friend he was my brothers.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leedslad
He wasn't my friend he was my brothers.
Doesn't really matter who's friend he was, you still felt the need to quote his idiotic advice.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 11:22 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kev235
but hopefully you see the point.
If you can get away with it do it?

PAss that on to ya kids
Old Aug 17th 2005, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

chaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond repute

i think we should ask mugabee for his views...
Old Aug 17th 2005, 11:31 am

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Slight difference in finding a tenner in the street and meaningfully taking out loans for thousands of pounds that you have no intention of paying back
Sorry to jump in here but I don't think the OP said anything about taking out debts with the intention of not paying them back?

I agree it's wrong to do that, but like Kev I think many people would be hard put to say they've never thought about how much easier it would be if they could wriggle out of paying something. I know I have.....

Elaine M
Old Aug 17th 2005, 11:31 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kev235
Hi, I have read threads on this subject before, and although very heartening that there are so many "honest" people out there, it is also sickening to read threads with such high and mighty views, surely you can not all be perfect ! Many people through inexperience and unforeseen circumstances find they fall in to debt, on the same token some borrowers simply are just stupid. Why can we not all look at the larger picture and just accept that sometimes when an opportunity arises to get out of a sticky patch most/some of us would consider it, and I am not referring to anything that suggests personal harm to other individuals, more the big institutions. So rather than being very quick to view with the god like approach, why not look back during your own life's and consider at times when you have been tempted to perhaps wriggle a little in order to protect your position, has no one ever lied on a CV ? anyone tried to get out of a parking fine unjustly? how about if you find a tenner in the street, do you run with it to the police station ? Perhaps you are the one that would leave a note on a car windscreen to let the owner know you scratched it by mistake, perhaps you are not ! probably not very good examples, but hopefully you see the point.

I really do not have a view/opinion on the thread, just some of the pious replies. Anyway, feel better for that and good luck to you all

Kev
Yes people`s circumstances can change - I`ve had it myself where I bought a flat and was made redundant 3 weeks later (the insurance didn`t kick in until it had been running 6 weeks) I ended up in debt which even after I found work I was so far behind with the mortgage payments I had to sell the flat a year later to cut my losses - the bank was certainly not sympathetic to my plight. However there is differance between someone having bad luck and actively taking out loans with a view to not paying them. Theres black, white and grey - peoples morals are their own, however if them not paying (when they have the means to) means that my own circumstances are affected the I have a right to be pissed off. The original poster was only posting a query which is fair enough, however this (as I have said) is an emotive subject and people will jump in with their thoughts.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
peoples morals are their own, however if them not paying (when they have the means to) means that my own circumstances are affected the I have a right to be pissed off.
If someone does a runner without paying then all the customers of that bank / credit card whatever are paying a premium to cover the loss.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.