Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Credit Records

UK Credit Records

Old Sep 30th 2003, 7:07 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Credit Records

Has anyone in Oz with a blackmark on their UK credit records found it has turned round and bitten them on the arse here?

I have no debts in the UK but there I had a problem with an overdraft 4 years ago.
Old Sep 30th 2003, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

matthewsavin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Credit Records

Originally posted by bondipom
Has anyone in Oz with a blackmark on their UK credit records found it has turned round and bitten them on the arse here?

I have no debts in the UK but there I had a problem with an overdraft 4 years ago.
i was wondering aswell what happens if you piss off abroad and you have left aload of bills behind you
matty
Old Sep 30th 2003, 12:34 pm
Look at me kimmie

leanda will become famous soon enoughleanda will become famous soon enough

This question has been asked before and I think it is a case of they wont be able to trace you, but scan back through the archives.
Old Sep 30th 2003, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

matthewsavin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by leanda
This question has been asked before and I think it is a case of they wont be able to trace you, but scan back through the archives.
hello again
nice if thats true bit more money to take with u but i bet its a bummer if u gotta come back
Old Sep 30th 2003, 1:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Have a read of this one - quite interesting....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...&highlight=ccj
Old Sep 30th 2003, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

i was wondering aswell what happens if you piss off abroad and you have left aload of bills behind you
Depends how much you owe and who you owe it to, what you have to remember is companies sell debts, some will write them off some will chase you for them. But as the debt gets passed from company to company, baliffs, courts etc, It does not get any smaller, eventually it will be worth someone finding you.

Australia seem to be ahead of the game when it comes to linking data on you.

Last edited by karawara88; Sep 30th 2003 at 1:39 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2003, 4:28 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollyana
Have a read of this one - quite interesting....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...&highlight=ccj

cripes!
just read the entire thread! there were a lot of angry people on there!!
I too have wondered if my poor credit HISTORY would hinder me getting credit in oz, but it is a history, and not a debt I am running away from.

(some arguing going on in that thread i wonder id any od 'em have come back to uk/been found out?)

sue
Old Sep 30th 2003, 4:45 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

If you actually owe money, i could'nt say.

However, the official credit record itself (good or bad) does'nt carry over.

Shame really......i have a pretty good one!
Old Sep 30th 2003, 4:56 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PeteY

glad it doesnt carry over - we have worked bloody hard to get everything paid off. just got student loan to settle, then I'll be done!!

sue
Old Sep 30th 2003, 5:16 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PeteY
If you actually owe money, i could'nt say.

Shame really......i have a pretty good one!
Hey Pete,
If the credit record doesn't carry over does that mean that to establish one we would have to buy a few things on tick that we'd probably have bought for cash?
Our house and consequentially both of us have no chance of credit here in the U.K as a lodger "left town" owing thousands on loans and credit cards. [I could have cleared the credit thing years ago but it's stopped either of us impulse purchasing]
Sean
Old Sep 30th 2003, 5:21 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Sean,
Thats right, you start off in Oz with a virtually blank sheet - so as soon as you get signed up with a bank, get yourself a credit card asap - even if you pay it off in full each month, it still starts building you a credit history. Also if you can get on the voters list then do so, as that helps too.
Shame if you're leaving a good history behind - good news if you want a fresh start!
Old Sep 30th 2003, 6:14 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by cresta57
Hey Pete,
If the credit record doesn't carry over does that mean that to establish one we would have to buy a few things on tick that we'd probably have bought for cash?
Our house and consequentially both of us have no chance of credit here in the U.K as a lodger "left town" owing thousands on loans and credit cards. [I could have cleared the credit thing years ago but it's stopped either of us impulse purchasing]
Sean
You will have to establish that you're a good boy/girl to the banks etc, as they won't have any idea if you are good with your cash.

We are setting up an HSBC account from here, as we are first direct customers in the UK. We will also ask for a credit card now, as getting one can be harder if you are an unemplyed unknown.
Old Sep 30th 2003, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: UK Credit Records

Originally posted by bondipom

Most large companies can get access but the cost and hassle involved means that they prob won't in most cases, depending on your situation.

I work for large finance co and we don't bother when borrowing smaller amounts if customer moved from abroad (or even decline on no track record) but if large borrowing then details can be checked with our subsidiaries in Oz or wherever.

If you have a good record, apply for copy of your file from experian etc and, or if not, good idea to take a few open references with you from bank/mortgage lender/landlord.........

Old Sep 30th 2003, 7:53 pm
Home and Happy

Just curious, but what do credit card & finance companies consider to be a "large" or "small" debt these days?
Old Sep 30th 2003, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Pollyana
Just curious, but what do credit card & finance companies consider to be a "large" or "small" debt these days?

think we'll all be ok, large debt = £500k+ !!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.