Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Credit Cards and Oz

UK Credit Cards and Oz

Old Apr 20th 2006, 1:54 pm
Gold Coast and Loving it.

nick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Credit Cards and Oz

Hello peeps....

Whats the deal with CC in Oz ?

We thought about just cutting them up after paying the balances and not having Credit in Oz !!

However how do you pay for your rented car when you arrive etc ?

How does it work keeping a UK Credit Card but living in Oz ?

I suppose we could use my parents address.

Any advice grateful...

Nick
Old Apr 20th 2006, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

the ozbyrnes will become famous soon enoughthe ozbyrnes will become famous soon enough
Default Re: UK Credit Cards and Oz

Originally Posted by nick72
Hello peeps....

Whats the deal with CC in Oz ?

We thought about just cutting them up after paying the balances and not having Credit in Oz !!

However how do you pay for your rented car when you arrive etc ?

How does it work keeping a UK Credit Card but living in Oz ?

I suppose we could use my parents address.

Any advice grateful...

Nick

Hi Nick,

Been in Oz 8 months now, kept our UK bank accounts open until exchange rate goes our way, we're using our visa debit card for getting cash out of machines, we even purchased our new car with it £9000, we don't get charged for international transactions, and the exchange rate is normally pretty much what the stock exchange quotes.

hope this helps
Old Apr 20th 2006, 2:04 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

I still have and use a UK credit card.
We simply told them our new address in Oz and that's where they send the bill each month. Having said that the bill is always late, so we use internet banking and pay the balance off in full each month.
Money from UK rental properties pays the bill each month and we don't have to bother transferring money to Oz to pay the bill.

We are on a temporary visa and I understand the banks in Oz are not keen to give out credit cards unless you're permanent.

Neil.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
I still have and use a UK credit card.
We simply told them our new address in Oz and that's where they send the bill each month. Having said that the bill is always late, so we use internet banking and pay the balance off in full each month.
Money from UK rental properties pays the bill each month and we don't have to bother transferring money to Oz to pay the bill.

We are on a temporary visa and I understand the banks in Oz are not keen to give out credit cards unless you're permanent.

Neil.
Our experience has been that the Ozzie banks won't give you a credit card until you have $A income. We have kept our UK CC and will use that until we are able to get Australian CC.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

We have kept a UK credit card as we still have money going into the bank in England. We just bank online and pay it that way.
You can get a credit card here as soon as you arrive but with not much credit limit on it so it is no good for purchasing large items.