Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Carpenters coming to/living in Victoria

UK Carpenters coming to/living in Victoria

Old Dec 3rd 2005, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future
Default UK Carpenters coming to/living in Victoria

I have been over here for 18 months now. For the last 6 months I have been working for a building company who are moving more towards building apartment/unit blocks using new concrete/foam and steel framing techniques. Having qualified in the UK I have found it easier than your average aussie chippie to adjust to these methods as they are more like the methods used in the UK.

As a result of this I have been approached by the owner of the company and asked if I knew of any other UK qualified carpenters either living in, or planning to move to the bayside area of Melbourne. Obviously this is not a formal job offer/advertisement at this stage but with the amount of work that this company has in front of them I thought it would do no harm just to test the waters and see just how many chippies out there would be looking for work oppotunities in the near future.

By the way, to clear up any misunderstanding over licenses, you dont need one in Victoria to work as a chippie while subcontracting to the builder. The builder carries the license.

Andy
Old Dec 4th 2005, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future
Default Re: UK Carpenters coming to/living in Victoria

bump for those chippies in the UK
Old Dec 4th 2005, 10:11 am
Account Closed

mashy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by andy thomas
I have been over here for 18 months now. For the last 6 months I have been working for a building company who are moving more towards building apartment/unit blocks using new concrete/foam and steel framing techniques. Having qualified in the UK I have found it easier than your average aussie chippie to adjust to these methods as they are more like the methods used in the UK.

As a result of this I have been approached by the owner of the company and asked if I knew of any other UK qualified carpenters either living in, or planning to move to the bayside area of Melbourne. Obviously this is not a formal job offer/advertisement at this stage but with the amount of work that this company has in front of them I thought it would do no harm just to test the waters and see just how many chippies out there would be looking for work oppotunities in the near future.

By the way, to clear up any misunderstanding over licenses, you dont need one in Victoria to work as a chippie while subcontracting to the builder. The builder carries the license.

Andy
Hi Andy,

We are currently waiting for our visa`s but hope to be out there next summer. We`re not sure where we are going yet, it all depends on where the work is. How long was it before you got work once you had arrived? I have been a site agent/foreman for the past 6 years but am willing to go back on the tools. Is there much job opportunities for site agents?

Cheers

Mashy
Old Dec 4th 2005, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Mashy

I didnt start work for 8 months but that was by choice. Having said that as soon as I started touting for work I always got something the same day. I've been with 4 different builders now and the current one is most likely going to be long term. Not sure how many site agent jobs are out there but plenty of opportunities on the tools

Andy

Originally Posted by mashy
Hi Andy,

We are currently waiting for our visa`s but hope to be out there next summer. We`re not sure where we are going yet, it all depends on where the work is. How long was it before you got work once you had arrived? I have been a site agent/foreman for the past 6 years but am willing to go back on the tools. Is there much job opportunities for site agents?

Cheers

Mashy
Old Dec 4th 2005, 10:37 am
Account Closed

mashy is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers Andy,

Is the cost of living very expensive in Victoria? I was looking at Adelaide but have yet to make a firm decision. What is it like for families? I have two girls aged 9 and 7. I have been told countless times that Adelaide is perfect for bringing up a family. The thought of not having to work for 8 months sounds like heaven, although I`m not too sure what the wife would say about having me under her feet Did you go out on a 136 skilled independent?
Old Dec 4th 2005, 10:42 am
Debs M

dhw210770 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Andy,

My husband is a UK chippie. We will be in Melbourne from 17th January and hubby will definitely be looking for work from then on. We are currently staying on the Gold Coast with my mum for Xmas and New Year. Would you mind if my husband called you tomorrow to talk about things as we have been given conflicting information on whether he needs a licence to work etc?

Regards,

Debs
Old Dec 4th 2005, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Compared to the UK, and considering the big picture, it's cheaper to live here, buts that's just my opinion. I live on the Mornington Peninsula, it can only be described as the countryside by the sea, or paradise. I came via the STNI scheme and was sponsored by the Vic Gov.

Andy

Originally Posted by mashy
Cheers Andy,

Is the cost of living very expensive in Victoria? I was looking at Adelaide but have yet to make a firm decision. What is it like for families? I have two girls aged 9 and 7. I have been told countless times that Adelaide is perfect for bringing up a family. The thought of not having to work for 8 months sounds like heaven, although I`m not too sure what the wife would say about having me under her feet Did you go out on a 136 skilled independent?
Old Dec 4th 2005, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Debs, tell your hubby to ring anytime. If you want to be a builder in your own right you need to be licenced (registered building practioner). If you just want to work as an employee or self employed subcontracting then no licence required. The builder carries the licence.

Andy

Originally Posted by dhw210770
Hi Andy,

My husband is a UK chippie. We will be in Melbourne from 17th January and hubby will definitely be looking for work from then on. We are currently staying on the Gold Coast with my mum for Xmas and New Year. Would you mind if my husband called you tomorrow to talk about things as we have been given conflicting information on whether he needs a licence to work etc?

Regards,

Debs
Old Dec 4th 2005, 8:35 pm
kev
Just Joined

kev is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Andy

I have been in the upvc windows/doors/conservatories game for the last 20years (manufacturing & installing)

is there much call for this type of work?

Cheers
kev
Old Dec 4th 2005, 9:30 pm
Love it here!

SalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Andy,

Say hello to Paul & Trudy for us!
Tell them it won't be long.....

Thanks and sorry to interupt your thread

Sally & Chris
Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Kev

You dont see upvc over here however all new houses now have to conform to the 5 star energy ratings and I have seen the emergence of upvc. There's no reason why it shouldn't catch on and this may be a good time to come over just as it becomes popular. If it takes off here like it did in the UK then it could be quite prosperous.

Andy

Originally Posted by kev
Hi Andy

I have been in the upvc windows/doors/conservatories game for the last 20years (manufacturing & installing)

is there much call for this type of work?

Cheers
kev
Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

No worries, will do. How long til you get here

Originally Posted by SalSa
Hi Andy,

Say hello to Paul & Trudy for us!
Tell them it won't be long.....

Thanks and sorry to interupt your thread

Sally & Chris
Old Dec 5th 2005, 1:23 pm
kev
Just Joined

kev is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Andy

Thanks for info

Kev
Old Dec 5th 2005, 4:42 pm
Love it here!

SalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by andy thomas
No worries, will do. How long til you get here

Hi Andy

Thanks!
Reckon by the summer......but sooner we hope! Having meds on 12th Jan.
It was great seeing Paul again, give them our love and tell Trudy to take it easy!

Sally