Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Car Hire for Surrey/London month trip?

UK Car Hire for Surrey/London month trip?

Old Feb 19th 2016, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of
Default UK Car Hire for Surrey/London month trip?

Hi Guys

I am going back to the UK in May. I will defo be needing to hire a car this visit.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive company to go with?

Or any alternatives, I just need a little run around whilst I see my folks.

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 20th 2016, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

budababes has a spectacular aura aboutbudababes has a spectacular aura aboutbudababes has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: UK Car Hire for Surrey/London month trip?

Originally Posted by jacknscoob
Hi Guys

I am going back to the UK in May. I will defo be needing to hire a car this visit.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive company to go with?

Or any alternatives, I just need a little run around whilst I see my folks.

Thanks in advance.
WE are going back in June for 3 months are have a good deal from Hertz or we have used Europ Car before and been happy with them. Book from Australia for a better deal!!
Old Feb 20th 2016, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by budababes
WE are going back in June for 3 months are have a good deal from Hertz or we have used Europ Car before and been happy with them. Book from Australia for a better deal!!
Thanks for that. Interesting tip to know that you can get a better deal by booking from Oz...Thanks
Old Feb 21st 2016, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Guys

I really need to hire an 'automatic' transmission car and am having some difficulty finding one, they mostly do 'manuals'!! Help
Old Feb 21st 2016, 12:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Book a car away from the airport, there is a massive premium for airport rentals. Even on a trip as short as two weeks, we find it cheaper over all to rent in Glouester even after paying £300 in taxi rides to and from Heathrow.

In my experience ALL the larger rental companies offer automatics, because when I search for a rental I keep stumbling over the dämn things, ..... but they tend to be the larger cars. It maybe that you're experiencing a problem because you're looking for a small or medium sized automatic?

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 21st 2016 at 12:23 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Lucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond repute

We used this lot, they were pretty good Traffic Self Drive | Car & Van Hire: Herts, Heathrow & Luton Airport
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 10:42 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy a cheap reliable run around for about 300 quid, drive it around on 3rd party fire and theft for a month and then leave it at the airport or give it away to someone. Cheaper than hiring.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 3:32 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spuddyo
You can buy a cheap reliable run around for about 300 quid, drive it around on 3rd party fire and theft for a month and then leave it at the airport or give it away to someone. Cheaper than hiring.

I like this idea - but are you able to get 3rd party insurance if non-resident?

S
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

Rhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

S
I don't know the definitive answer to this, but my dad was unable to add me as a named driver on his policy when I went back last year as I was non-resident. He was told that the law had recently changed; I didn't have time to follow-up the reasons in more detail and eventually hired for the week or so that I needed a car.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 11:03 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rhubarb65
I don't know the definitive answer to this, but my dad was unable to add me as a named driver on his policy when I went back last year as I was non-resident. He was told that the law had recently changed; I didn't have time to follow-up the reasons in more detail and eventually hired for the week or so that I needed a car.
My folks were able to add me as a named driver at Christmas - Prudential were very helpful - fully disclosed that I was non resident and it didn't even cost them any extra on the policy.

It probably varies from company to company...

S
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 11:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

S
I'm fairly sure you can't.

Last time I went back I used the mother's car. As she'd died the day before we didn't have all the necessary paperwork to put me on her insurance so I did the highly irresponsible thing and drove around with no insurance. Was a nervous wreck each time I went out but got away with it. It's very noticeable how bad UK drivers are when you're in that situation, I swore at an awful lot of people. Wouldn't recommend it.
Old Feb 27th 2016, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I'm fairly sure you can't.

Last time I went back I used the mother's car. As she'd died the day before we didn't have all the necessary paperwork to put me on her insurance so I did the highly irresponsible thing and drove around with no insurance. Was a nervous wreck each time I went out but got away with it. It's very noticeable how bad UK drivers are when you're in that situation, I swore at an awful lot of people. Wouldn't recommend it.
UK drivers are bad Oh that tickled me funny bone.

Anyhoo, yes UK rental laws have changed to crack down on ex-pats and such like. Kinda stupid as Oz ex-pats have the exact same roads rules nearly as when they left the UK.

But yarp. Unless you've kept a UK address with bank statements etc as proof plus your old paper UK licence then you'll have to book as an Aussie (Ewwwww) but do shop around as depending on the rental company some will increase the cost of rental even though as already said driving in Oz is almost exactly the same as the UK. Well, apart from QLD drivers being worse than the Indians
Old Feb 27th 2016, 2:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denzil73
UK drivers are bad Oh that tickled me funny bone.

Anyhoo, yes UK rental laws have changed to crack down on ex-pats and such like. Kinda stupid as Oz ex-pats have the exact same roads rules nearly as when they left the UK.

But yarp. Unless you've kept a UK address with bank statements etc as proof plus your old paper UK licence then you'll have to book as an Aussie (Ewwwww) but do shop around as depending on the rental company some will increase the cost of rental even though as already said driving in Oz is almost exactly the same as the UK. Well, apart from QLD drivers being worse than the Indians
I'm not sure that being from Oz should make rentals expensive. ..... Just don't rent at the airport because they add on substantial additional fees for airport rentals.
Old Feb 27th 2016, 11:00 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Nov 2013, I hired a smallish car (Ford Focus size) from these people https://www.economycarhire.com/.

3 weeks hire was £378.00 - unlimited mileage. Was the cheapest I could find at the time, and that was checking both Aus and UK websites. Collection and drop-off was at the same place. Was given the option of manual or auto at the time of booking. The cost included the extra premium to reduce the excess. No problems at pick up or drop off. I thought there would be a big check over at the end as I had it for 3 weeks, but it was just a perfunctory check. They did thoroughly check it with me before I got it, and noted any dents, marks etc. Would definitely look at them again if/when we go back.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

My folks were able to add me as a named driver at Christmas - Prudential were very helpful - fully disclosed that I was non resident and it didn't even cost them any extra on the policy.

It probably varies from company to company...

S
Yup. But it's possible.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I'm not sure that being from Oz should make rentals expensive. ..... Just don't rent at the airport because they add on substantial additional fees for airport rentals.
I don't think being from Oz makes rentals more expensive either.

General rule: book rental from abroad; check if your airline offers special deals on car rentals as "add on", & as Pulaski said, don't rent direct from the airport with a BIG exception .

Big exception : I got an amazing deal a couple of years ago booking an add-on rental car* to my air ticket. We were flying into a regional airport (not Heathrow/Gatwick etc), & KLM/Avis matched the lower price available at a company 5 miles down the road and gave us an airport rental/pickup.

*(I'm a named driver on family car in the uk but that trip we needed the flexibility of a rental).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.