Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is UK bedding the same size?

Is UK bedding the same size?

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 10:54 am

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is UK bedding the same size?

Originally Posted by Geordie George
UK and Aus beds are not the same size. Our (UK) king size bed is about (but not exactly) the same size as an Aus Queen size bed. Bloody pain in the arse when we wanted to buy an electric blanket.

Can't recall the exact measurements, but something to consider, should you be thinking about a new matress in the near future too.
So should I buy an electric blanket here then before we go over to Aus?
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 11:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sagacity
Buy IKEA beds and bedding - it's the same everywhere in the world .
The only problem with that is their mattresses are crap.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Sagacity is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Even Ikea do seem to make them different in sizes.
Yeah, sorry, I posted it and than remembered that not all their stuff is the same across all stores. But the duvets are the same - 200x200, and we had no probs with bringing over our duvet from home. Pillows are different - 50x80 instead of 50x60 and that caught us unawares. Thank God we only took the duvet with us and bought the rest here! I've still got only two sets of bedding which we bought along with the new bed and I'm bored witless with them . Must make another trip to IKEA soon.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Sagacity is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The only problem with that is their mattresses are crap.
Some are, and some aren't. I wouldn't go for the cheapest one in a hurry, but top of the range stuff is all right, haven't had any problems with them so far. I'm worried about moving home, though, - IKEA furniture does not survive moves very well .
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 12:25 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Wish we had! Sydney gets a little chilly of a winter evening. I think that electric blankets are more expensive over here than I would expect at home.

And just because I have these measurements to hand, here's some, literally, fascinating bed (mattress) facts:

My bed:
1980 mm x 1510 mm (78 x 59.5 inches)

UK King:
2000 mm x 1500 mm

Aus Queen:
2030 x 1520 mm

Close, but no cigar.

Told you, fas-cinating.

GG

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
So should I buy an electric blanket here then before we go over to Aus?
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 1:30 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sagacity
IKEA furniture does not survive moves very well .

A tip which I learnt whilst working for 'relocators' (people who organise moves for other people, in my case the Aussie Defence Force personnel): anything which is bought flat packed should be dismantled and flat packed again for moving. Saves a hell of a lot of torn out screws, broken chipboard, etc!