Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Banks when in Oz...

UK Banks when in Oz...

Old Nov 15th 2006, 12:33 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Banks when in Oz...

Has anyone managed to keep their Lloyds TSB account open when they moved to Oz...? We've been told that they're only for UK residents. If not who do other people keep a UK account with...? Do you get free banking and a debit card you can use over the 'net...? Just want to park ~£2k and use small amounts every now and then...

Thanks...
Old Nov 15th 2006, 12:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Banks when in Oz...

Originally Posted by rodders39
Has anyone managed to keep their Lloyds TSB account open when they moved to Oz...? We've been told that they're only for UK residents. If not who do other people keep a UK account with...? Do you get free banking and a debit card you can use over the 'net...? Just want to park ~£2k and use small amounts every now and then...

Thanks...

HSBC let you keep an account open when you move, my kids all have saving accounts there for relatives to put birthday and xmas money in.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 12:44 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks...
No problem with LloydsTSB. We still have 2 accounts with them & they send statements etc to us out here.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 12:58 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
No problem with LloydsTSB. We still have 2 accounts with them & they send statements etc to us out here.
Really... Need to investigate then...! Thanks...
Old Nov 15th 2006, 12:59 am
Timelord

Originally Posted by Wendy
HSBC let you keep an account open when you move, my kids all have saving accounts there for relatives to put birthday and xmas money in.
Yup, was wondering about them because they're out here too and thought of switching from Westpac if need be, though they've done no wrong...
Old Nov 15th 2006, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

Fardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the rough

We also have accounts with Lloyds TSB, and there have been no problems. However, if you move and change address they are likely to send you a letter saying please go to your local branch and confirm the changes ... which is a bit difficult!! Had to phone them just to ensure that our new address was confirmed - we then had one letter arrive saying that the echanges had been made, and another asking us to got to a local branch again. Some things just stay the same ..
Old Nov 15th 2006, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

Bermuda Girl is a jewel in the roughBermuda Girl is a jewel in the roughBermuda Girl is a jewel in the roughBermuda Girl is a jewel in the rough

I've lived away from UK for 6 years now, and had a Lloyds TSB account the whole time without problem.

Slight issue when I wanted a new cheque book last month as the telephone banking people said it couldn't be sent to me, but would be held at my branch to await collection. I pointed out that as I was in Australia this would be rather difficult!

However, she agreed that it could be collected by my Mum, if I wrote and gave her a permission letter.

In the end the cheque book arrived with me in Sydney before Mum had had chance to go in. I can only assume that the people in the branch are more obliging than the telephone people are allowed to say they are.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 1:35 am
Timelord

Thanks people...

Looks like we've definitely been given some dodgy info by our branch in Ipswich...

Will take it up with the phone banking people later on today...
Old Nov 15th 2006, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

Bermuda Girl is a jewel in the roughBermuda Girl is a jewel in the roughBermuda Girl is a jewel in the roughBermuda Girl is a jewel in the rough

Phone banking people did tell me I wasn't supposed to have that kind of account (it was the reason they gave for not being willing to post the cheque book to me), and they wanted me to change it to another account, so you might not have too much luck with them.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

miss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant future

We've kept accounts going with both Lloyds & Barclays for precisely the same purpose & had no problems at all with them in six years. I suspect you got advice from someone who had no idea of the system......
Old Nov 15th 2006, 8:36 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Barclays are quite happy to have our Oz address and send statements here.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

Thanks...
yes, we have Lloyds accounts as I have banked with them since I was 16, they know we live here

but Nationwide are great and all transactions abroad are free
great internet service too

we are having trouble with Lloyds, they cannot identify my daughters signature (she was 10 when she opened the account) now she is 18, has taken months and not been resolved

Tara
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 6:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

My Lloyds account and credit card are still in use - no problems there. I recently changed my address to my Aussie one and they were fine with it.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Wendy
Yep, Natwest are fine too
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 5:27 am
sullysdownunder

wayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to behold

hi i have two accounts with lloyds and a credit card with natwest had no problems at all , i do llyds on the internet so you can decide if you want a paper statement or not which we decided not and the natwest statements goes to my mom house ...

think you need to talk to someone who knows what they are doing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.