Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK banks which are best to access from Aus

UK banks which are best to access from Aus

Old Aug 23rd 2007, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light
Default UK banks which are best to access from Aus

We need to leave money in an account in the UK to pay for various endowments etc, which banks are good for this and which aren't

We bank with Halifax and noticed online they state the services on their internet site are for UK customers only.

I'll need to be able to shuffle stuff around from time to time, so will need internet access for whichever bank we leave money in and it'll need to be an account that will pay direct debits, s/o

Thanks

Last edited by marvinc; Aug 23rd 2007 at 11:43 am. Reason: sorry posted it in wrong section :(
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 11:49 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK banks which are best to access from Aus

Try Intelligent Finance, the internet only bank owned by the halifax. Since they have no branches at all you are never required to go in for any reason whatsoever and can do everything by phone and internet.

I arranged our funds transfers simply by phone from here in Australia for example, whereas others had to give written authority to a branch personally etc.

I should imagine any of the internet only banks would be the same.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 1:26 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by marvinc
We need to leave money in an account in the UK to pay for various endowments etc, which banks are good for this and which aren't

We bank with Halifax and noticed online they state the services on their internet site are for UK customers only.

I'll need to be able to shuffle stuff around from time to time, so will need internet access for whichever bank we leave money in and it'll need to be an account that will pay direct debits, s/o

Thanks
We use HSBC online banking. We can pay bills, arrange standing orders transfer money from one account to another and pay any third party provided we have their banking details. We have used them for years. Here in Dubai local online banking is a joke - but if you set it all up in the UK before you leave it's fine. They have our overseas address and have no problems with that.

Regards,

Gillian.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

sprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nice

We bank with intelligent finance. When I called them and asked about accessing my account fromoz they were really helpful. They gave me a direct dialnumber to callfromoz BUT they told me that internet access to my account is barred as this is only for uk residents.
Hope this helps
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 5:10 pm
Registered madwife!

itsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really nice

We have online accounts with the Abbey and Lloydstsb. I haven't asked them yet if we can still access from Oz but could we put a change of Uk address, parents for example, then you could still access? Or is this illegal?
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 8:35 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itsjulie
We have online accounts with the Abbey and Lloydstsb. I haven't asked them yet if we can still access from Oz but could we put a change of Uk address, parents for example, then you could still access? Or is this illegal?
We're with LloydsTSB... Changed our address to over here with no problems... Still send bank cards, etc...
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 8:39 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

we are with smile as its a fully internet account we have had no problems OH is in Oz and he transfers money instantly pays bills etc with no problems
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 9:27 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Abbey, set address to Mother in law. Online works fine.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 3:58 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by datamile
Abbey, set address to Mother in law. Online works fine.
Will you have problems claiming any interest gross as you are using a UK only account with a UK address? How do you prove you are out of the country and entitled to the full amount without any tax deductions? May be you put C/o but not sure if that is acceptable.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 8:07 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ray2gill
Will you have problems claiming any interest gross as you are using a UK only account with a UK address? How do you prove you are out of the country and entitled to the full amount without any tax deductions?
To get bank interest paid gross, you download form R85 from the Inland Revenue web site (www.hmrc.gov.uk then put R85 in the search box).

You fill in the form and send it to your bank/building society. No "proof" or anything else needed for the bank.

Gina
Old Aug 24th 2007, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

gavinrobertson has a brilliant futuregavinrobertson has a brilliant futuregavinrobertson has a brilliant futuregavinrobertson has a brilliant futuregavinrobertson has a brilliant futuregavinrobertson has a brilliant futuregavinrobertson has a brilliant future

I've got accounts with both Royal Bank of Scotland (who know I'm in Australia) and first direct (who don't) which both have online access from Australia.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

ashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really nice

internet access to my account is barred as this is only for uk residents
This is quite scary!

Barclays are saying on their online banking website that it is OK to access accounts from abroad. Does anyone know about American Express, Citibank or Nationwide?! I had never even considered this until reading this thread.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 11:02 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

I spoke to First Direct about this yesterday. They said that we could keep all our accounts open and just to let them know our new address when we get one. We have a savings account with them so there will be no monthly fees for our current accounts. Also they told me that they charge a £21 fee for transferring money to Oz but that reduces to £10 if it's going to HSBC.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

DerekM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ashwood
This is quite scary!

Barclays are saying on their online banking website that it is OK to access accounts from abroad. Does anyone know about American Express, Citibank or Nationwide?! I had never even considered this until reading this thread.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have a/c's with HSBC, Nationwide and others etc and they all know I live in Oz and my address. All my credit cards, bankers cards are posted here and all my access is online. Never had any problems at all moving money about from a/c to a/c or paying bills, standing orders etc. Quite straightforward. Biggest problem is when I have to telephone them which isn't very often if I can help it and then we go through all the security rigmarole.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 4:46 am
RRZ
Forum Regular

RRZ is an unknown quantity at this point

We have an account with Lloyds TSB and have no problem operating internet banking as far as paying local bills etc., However, we have two other problems:

1) Occasionally they demand by letter (to Australia) that we visit a local branch in order to change our address .. even after it has been explained to them (again) that we live in Australia.

2) Unlike Australian internet accounts you just can't transfer any funds overseas - you need to send a letter (not fax, email etc.,) to your branch manager and it is up to their discretion as to whether they will transfer. It's like the Dark Ages :curse:.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.