Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK bank account that can be accessed from Oz daily?

UK bank account that can be accessed from Oz daily?

Old Jul 13th 2009, 9:08 am
nya
Forum Regular

nya is an unknown quantity at this point
Question UK bank account that can be accessed from Oz daily?

Good morning,

We are going to move to Adelaide early next year but I can't seem to find an answers to a fairly urgent problem: I work as a freelancer, mainly with European clients, and I will keep my UK bank account going, as clients will prefer to pay me into a European account (no charges). Now the trouble is that I need to get all my money (income) from my UK account into my Australian account on at least a weekly basis.

No UK bank seems to have an online banknig facility where you can make international translations to Oz, and when I asked in my branch they said I would have to come into my UK branch in person for each transfer, which for obviuos reasons is impossible. So my dilemma is: I need to access my UK ban kaccount from Oz weekly and transfer money from it to my Australian account on a weekly basis (if the charges are very high then monthly).

Can anyone recommend a solution, or are there any bank accounts out there where you can have a Sterling and AUD account and acces them both from Oz, preferably online without having to go into a branch each time?

Many thanks in advance for any help!
Old Jul 13th 2009, 9:12 am
Just Joined

tomgreen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK bank account that can be accessed from Oz daily?

When I had this problem, I used PayPal to transfer money between accounts. It'll incur less cahrges than BACS transfers and doesn't require you to visit the banks in person.

Tom
Old Jul 13th 2009, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

I have an HSBC UK and Aus account. They are linked through online banking and I can move money fee-free (at quite a good rate - got 2.077 last week) online no hassle.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 11:57 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We have a First Direct account and have no problem transferring money from there to our Commonwealth account here, a simple, short phonecall has always got us a really good rate (better than the big FX boys for large amounts) and the money transferred quickly.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

That HSBC deal sounds quite good. I need to sort out bank accounts too.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cookiestar
I have an HSBC UK and Aus account. They are linked through online banking and I can move money fee-free (at quite a good rate - got 2.077 last week) online no hassle.
Would this be the HSBC Premier account as described on their website or can it be a normal HSBC account?
Old Jul 13th 2009, 1:47 pm
Cobber

pab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to all

I have been looking into this also as we are moving over shortly.

I believe that for amounts under £10k you can use your debit card and exchange with one of the FX companies ands they will then pay it into an account that you desire.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Would this be the HSBC Premier account as described on their website or can it be a normal HSBC account?
Mine is the Premier, not sure about the regular account.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tubbs2Oz
That HSBC deal sounds quite good. I need to sort out bank accounts too.
You need to be mega loaded by the looks of it.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Mine is the Premier, not sure about the regular account.
The Premier acc's qualifying critea look quite steep (to me) just to be able to transfer money between two countries easily, or is this not the case?
Old Jul 13th 2009, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

If they can do it on the Premier account, I'm sure they can do it on the regular account too. I've also transferred money from my UK RBS account online to the Aus HSBC account. I though doing online transfers via online banking was a fairly standard thing? If you do it yourself online I don't think they charge unlike if you go into a branch and do it (RBS charge £20 per transfer in branch)

Otherwise Paypal is cheap to transfer with.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 2:56 pm
Cobber

pab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to all

Does the HSBC have a large presence in Australia?
Old Jul 13th 2009, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm in the UK (for the next 6.5 weeks anyway). They have a branch in Brisbane and other major cities, plus you can use other bank ATMs (Westpac, St Georges and BankSA) Have a look here for HSBC ATMS: http://www.hsbc.com.au/1/2/misc/locations/atm
Old Jul 13th 2009, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
We have a First Direct account and have no problem transferring money from there to our Commonwealth account here, a simple, short phonecall has always got us a really good rate (better than the big FX boys for large amounts) and the money transferred quickly.
Thanks for this. We have a First Direct account and this could be quite useful.

Charlie
Old Jul 13th 2009, 6:13 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charlie5
Thanks for this. We have a First Direct account and this could be quite useful.

Charlie
I use www.tranzfers.com - move cash from my account here to my account there, costs £7/$15 a go. Very qucick and easy, and all online.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.