Reload this Page >

UK to Australia Qualifications

UK to Australia Qualifications

Old Jan 24th 2012, 4:06 am
Just Joined

geordielad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK to Australia Qualifications

Morning All

I am moving over to Oz with my fiance in July. At present I am a civils supervisor on the railway in the UK. I have vast construction (bricklayer/builder)and rail experience and I am wanting to complete a couple of courses in the last 6 months I have left over here in the UK that will stand me in good stead in Australia. I am moving to Western Australia and I am looking for rail or construction opportunities. Things like NEBOSH that I can use to my advantage in looking for work. Any ideas or suggestions would be very grateful.

Thanks everyone

Alan
Old Jan 24th 2012, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Australia Qualifications

Hello Alan

I used to work at the railway workshops in Forrestfield in Perth and 4 years ago they had a big recruitment drive to get foreign workers.

There web page is www.arg.net.au

If they don't have any vacancies they may be able to point you in the right direction. I looked and couldn't find anything about civils though.

There's not much railway building around Perth at the moment but I would think a fair bit of maintenace. Most of the big railjobs are up North for Port infrastructure etc. Check out http://careers.leightoncontractors.c...W&sLanguage=en they have some infrastructure projects at the moment.or just do a search on Seek.com.

If you've got your visa sorted out and you've done a bit of supervisors work you shouldn't have much bother picking work up when you get here but be prepepared to work in the middle of nowhere for weeks on end.

Keel
Old Jan 24th 2012, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

There's a few guys in the same industry on here ....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=railway

The above is a link the a thread about the new HS2 in UK but the guys mention various bits and pieces relating to the industry .... long shot but perhaps worth a try!
Old Jan 25th 2012, 7:38 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the help and advice. Much appreciated
Alan
Old Jan 27th 2012, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

Kenzi is an unknown quantity at this point

NEBOSH isnt widely recognised here mate - Its equivalent is a Cert IV OHS, you can also do a diploma in this too which takes a wee bit longer.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 8:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kenzi
NEBOSH isnt widely recognised here mate - Its equivalent is a Cert IV OHS, you can also do a diploma in this too which takes a wee bit longer.
Thanks alot mate. As you are probably aware they arent cheap so your advice is a good help and I can look into using the money better elsewhere. Thanks again bud
Alan
Old Jan 27th 2012, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Kenzi is an unknown quantity at this point

No worries!

I looked into doing my hse course (I'm a Project Co-ordinator) and it was going to cost about $1500!! Its only a weeks course too.

Back home NEBOSH takes a good while
Old Jan 27th 2012, 9:04 am
Just Joined

They arent cheap are they! Im a site manager on the railway in the UK at the mo. I know the full NEBOSH take time but I was looking to do any of the initials with a view to it adding to my experience and equipping me for better opportunities once in Australia. I want to use my time I have left wisely and if theres anything I can do then i will. Thanks again. All advice is greatly appreciated.

Alan
Old Jan 27th 2012, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

My brother has neebosh lvl1 in environmental safety and is 3/4 the way through lvl2. taken him over a year so far that one. And they arent transferable to Oz..