Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Accents - Does it Put Employers Off?

UK Accents - Does it Put Employers Off?

Old Jun 15th 2009, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

LauraV has a brilliant futureLauraV has a brilliant futureLauraV has a brilliant futureLauraV has a brilliant futureLauraV has a brilliant futureLauraV has a brilliant futureLauraV has a brilliant futureLauraV has a brilliant future
Default UK Accents - Does it Put Employers Off?

Just wondered if anyone has had a problem with this.

My 19 year old daughter took months to find a job and eventually started waitressing at a local surf club. She worked for a week and a half before being told that she wasn't what they were looking for as there was a "language barrier". :curse: Just what a young girl needs when she's not sure if she wants to be here in the first place.

Does this mean that because she has a Scottish accent she will continue to have difficulties in keeping a job in Australia?
Old Jun 15th 2009, 3:41 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Accents - Does it Put Employers Off?

Originally Posted by LauraV

My 19 year old daughter took months to find a job and eventually started waitressing at a local surf club. She worked for a week and a half before being told that she wasn't what they were looking for as there was a "language barrier". :curse: Just what a young girl needs when she's not sure if she wants to be here in the first place.

Does this mean that because she has a Scottish accent she will continue to have difficulties in keeping a job in Australia?
That actually probably means she was not a good worker/not very good at the job.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 3:54 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

J
I think it would only be a problem if the customers didn't understand what she was saying because her accent was so strong.

Like the Scottish woman in KFC Joondalup - I haven't a clue what she's on about - it's like watching the Rab C Nesbit show on the telly.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

LauraV has a brilliant futureLauraV has a brilliant futureLauraV has a brilliant futureLauraV has a brilliant futureLauraV has a brilliant futureLauraV has a brilliant futureLauraV has a brilliant futureLauraV has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Deancm
That actually probably means she was not a good worker/not very good at the job.
Thanks for your reply even if it isn't what a mother wants to hear about her child.

She asked for feedback at the time and her supervisor said that the only thing that let her down was her accent.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by renth
I think it would only be a problem if the customers didn't understand what she was saying because her accent was so strong.

Like the Scottish woman in KFC Joondalup - I haven't a clue what she's on about - it's like watching the Rab C Nesbit show on the telly.
She probably hasn't a clue what you're saying either!

Last edited by LauraV; Jun 15th 2009 at 5:35 am.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

davidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to all

i cant even understand what you guys say most the time and im british ??/?
Old Jun 15th 2009, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidb1989
i cant even understand what you guys say most the time and im british ??/?
Thank god fur that. Then ye widny realise we wur talkin aboot ye.

I find most Aussies love the Scottish accent. She's better out of there coz they must have been wierdos.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 11:03 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: UK Accents - Does it Put Employers Off?

My wife says that I've lost my Aussie accent, so perhaps I'd better watch out when I get home!

Old Jun 15th 2009, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

I have a ridiculously strong Irish accent.... never had any problem with employers, but it has got me into plenty of trouble especially when I used to wear my Kilt to the Races.

Must say that Aussies usually get confused when pronounce the letter 'A' or 'I'
Old Jun 15th 2009, 11:12 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

I worked for Telstra when I was first in Oz and my accent was a bit of a problem at first until I learnt to americanise it around customers. It just takes a wee bit of practice, I never lost my accent just had to learn how to be understood by everyone.

I did find occassionally people would not understand a word I said and I know I was being clear. I think for some people the presence of an accent makes them shut down (like the weight watcher woman in Little Britain)
Old Jun 15th 2009, 11:31 am
Use time wisely

Darren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud of

well den, there ain't much ope for me, cooze i'm from Essex an dey wont ave a clue wot i is talking bout
Old Jun 15th 2009, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Darren-Debbie
well den, there ain't much ope for me, cooze i'm from Essex an dey wont ave a clue wot i is talking bout
Iz Lily Allen from Essex?
Old Jun 15th 2009, 11:49 am
Use time wisely

Darren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse
Iz Lily Allen from Essex?
Nah shees from ammersmif, but she did date arry enfield, an enfield is in essex
Old Jun 15th 2009, 1:17 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

how can any one who pronounces maroon as marone ever have a go at any one elses accent?

no one understands a flamin word i say - until i swop my u's for a's and stop pronouncing my g's and add but on the end of every sentence - then they get me!
Old Jun 15th 2009, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a strong accent which makes you intelligible to people around you, then yes. But this may moderate in time!

Naturally, it would work the same anywhere, even within the UK. There are employers who do not select on accent, but if they can't understand you, it ain't easy..

Lots of people in Australia and the Uk have what is considered an 'international accent' which is understood by people in a wide number of English speaking countries including but not limited to, the UK, the US, and the Antipodes. I meet people in everyday working life who you can not place as being Australian or English.

That is a standard I suggest we all should be aiming for, and might come about in tens of years!

Oh - diction is more important than accent!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.