Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Uh oh. I've just noticed something that living in Oz does to a Brit.

Uh oh. I've just noticed something that living in Oz does to a Brit.

Old Sep 15th 2006, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of
Default Uh oh. I've just noticed something that living in Oz does to a Brit.

I was in Aldi yesterday and spotted a welding kit for A$99 and grabbed it. (I did also get the 99c bar of chocolate I actually went in for!)

I caught myself in a mental trap that I now realise I do with any purchase I need to justify to myself.

"Hmm ... $99 wow, that's cheap. But hang on, in pounds that would only £40"

So far so normal.

I then absorb the number 40. "40 notes" ... "or less than a couple of hours work" or something else which lets me "feel" a $40 hit instead of a $99 hit. I know that it costs $99, but the "emotional" cost is the same as a $40 spend. My "gut feeling" "spending warning system" now reckons I've still got an extra $60 sitting in the bank balance which I may be in danger of spending.

This is one I need to watch out for. Head and heart not working together.

(Especially as my boss wants to offload a 18.5' 200HP boat on me for A$6000!)
Old Sep 15th 2006, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

angel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uh oh. I've just noticed something that living in Oz does to a Brit.

Originally Posted by CHnJ
I was in Aldi yesterday and spotted a welding kit for A$99 and grabbed it. (I did also get the 99c bar of chocolate I actually went in for!)

I caught myself in a mental trap that I now realise I do with any purchase I need to justify to myself.

So far so normal.

I then absorb the number 40. "40 notes" ... "or less than a couple of hours work" or something else which lets me "feel" a $40 hit instead of a $99 hit. I know that it costs $99, but the "emotional" cost is the same as a $40 spend. My "gut feeling" "spending warning system" now reckons I've still got an extra $60 sitting in the bank balance which I may be in danger of spending.

that sounds sooooo familiar
Old Sep 15th 2006, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

Macquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really nice
Default Re: Uh oh. I've just noticed something that living in Oz does to a Brit.

[QUOTE=CHnJ]I caught myself in a mental trap that I now realise I do with any purchase I need to justify to myself.
QUOTE]

I must admit this does sound very familiar!!! Even after 3 years here. If I spot something I would really like to buy (but know I shouldn't) this is my prime time to convert to pounds to justify to myself (or hubby) how good a bargain it really is!! He is slowly catching on - but I will string it out for as long as I can. hehe.

Julie
Old Sep 15th 2006, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Macquarie]
QUOTE]

I must admit this does sound very familiar!!! Even after 3 years here. If I spot something I would really like to buy (but know I shouldn't) this is my prime time to convert to pounds to justify to myself (or hubby) how good a bargain it really is!! He is slowly catching on - but I will string it out for as long as I can. hehe.

Julie
LOL ... it's the second step that's the killer though! £40 is harder to come by than $40! We've been here for 2 years and I don't know how I'm going to get rid of this particular habit of mind. : )

<I just know I'm going to buy the boat ... and I have NO rational explantation to help me justify that!>
Old Sep 15th 2006, 11:59 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

So far so normal.

You too? <g>
Old Sep 16th 2006, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

OMG - thats me 18 months in. I jump from being tight and not wanting to spend $10 bucks on a really big plastic container - to converting to £'s for a more desirable purchase.

God help us all.

Tracey.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 1:01 am
Nothing is Free!

Location: Seacliff Park, Adelaide. Call in for a drink and a bbq if your passin'
Rachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of light

If your in SA i'll go halves on the boat with ya!! £1250 for a boat.........thats all
Old Sep 16th 2006, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of light

The thing is though if you don't buy it when you see it chances are it won't be there next time you have a look. So what the heck just buy it
Old Sep 16th 2006, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Rangersman
The thing is though if you don't buy it when you see it chances are it won't be there next time you have a look. So what the heck just buy it
I have found that too, but I too justify the price sometimes by converting it back to pounds.........anything to justify buying it really.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rachel & Paul
If your in SA i'll go halves on the boat with ya!! £1250 for a boat.........thats all
lol ... actually that was exactly the plan. I live up a mountain and my ute won't pull it up, but I've a mate who lives near the water. Unfortunately his missus vetoed the scheme today : ((
Old Sep 16th 2006, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

So far so normal.

Have to completely disagree with you there, old boy. First time for everything, eh.

I have never fallen foul of this because I know the real 'exchange rate' I should be using based on my own calculations. In fact, I don't do the conversion at all now, and now I think about it, haven't in a few years. I think it was when I got my first job or stopped spending money coming out of a sterling account.

Lots of GMC gear makes you feel you're getting something for nothing - or the 'XU1' (?) 15 buck sanders and drills inthe Big Green shed.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Sep 16th 2006 at 9:51 am.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Have to completely disagree with you there, old boy. First time for everything, eh.

I have never fallen foul of this because I know the real 'exchange rate' I should be using based on my own calculations. In fact, I don't do the conversion at all now, and now I think about it, haven't in a few years. I think it was when I got my first job or stopped spending money coming out of a sterling account.

Lots of GMC gear makes you feel you're getting something for nothing - or the 'XU1' (?) 15 buck sanders and drills inthe Big Green shed.
I confess to being a fan of XU1 type tools. It gets me a tool I wouldn't otherwise have. If I hash it up while I'm learning then it's not a drama, whereas bending something by Makita would cause a twinge or two. When a quality tool is needed for safety and efficacy I'll buy it ... for example, I chose a Stihl for my chainsaw.

I fear the money + emotion thing must be my feminine side coming out though!
Old Sep 16th 2006, 11:16 am
careful what you wish 4

dougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud of
Talking Re: Uh oh. I've just noticed something that living in Oz does to a Brit.

So far so normal.

aldi are in Aus !?!

cheap German chocolate / coffee - both very good and not forgetting `Eruption` Aftershave or is that Lidl
Old Sep 16th 2006, 12:05 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

I confess to being a fan of XU1 type tools. It gets me a tool I wouldn't otherwise have. If I hash it up while I'm learning then it's not a drama, whereas bending something by Makita would cause a twinge or two. When a quality tool is needed for safety and efficacy I'll buy it ... for example, I chose a Stihl for my chainsaw.

So was the welder any good and that would justify it anyway???
Old Sep 16th 2006, 1:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you're getting into it all like I have been doing.
I've shelled out for GMC and Ryobi as starters - the Xu1 drill I bought 2 years took so long to charge, I didn't even use it and promptly replaced it with a $50 buck GMC which seemed like a rolls-royce in comparison!

I got a Stihl new though - decided you couldn't skimp on chainsaws - got the 45cc 18" Stihl 25/250? and keep it sharpened in between outings.

I love Makita - I've got their 'cheap' $120 corded drill made in England. Love it. Might get a sander or a router next. I've also had my eye on the special GMC thicknesser at $200 or so. Not many left in Melbourne now. I still need a compressor which I have yet to really, really justify and now a dust collection system.

What's your thoughts on table saws. I've been making do with an old Mk3 Triton - today I used it in crosscut mode - and I liked the results - cutting more than one piece at a time to get them all the same length. infact I do more crosscutting than ripping so may leave it like that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.