Two Way Radio

Old Jun 14th 2004, 2:00 am
Leo
Brisbane in early 2004

Leo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Two Way Radio

Hello everyone,

I have started making a list of items to take with me. I am in US and be moving to Brisbane.

Does anyone know if Two way radios are allowed or banned in OZ - if allowed, do you have to get a license? In US at least these are not licensed - with a range of only 1 to 2 miles they are for personal walkie-talkie like features - an cost only US$ 30-40.

Thanks,

../Leo
Old Jun 14th 2004, 2:06 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: Two Way Radio

Originally posted by Leo
Hello everyone,

I have started making a list of items to take with me. I am in US and be moving to Brisbane.

Does anyone know if Two way radios are allowed or banned in OZ - if allowed, do you have to get a license? In US at least these are not licensed - with a range of only 1 to 2 miles they are for personal walkie-talkie like features - an cost only US$ 30-40.

Thanks,

../Leo
No probs. We have a set we use when fishing/camping etc. No licence required for any cb here anymore, apart from HF radio.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Two Way Radio

Could this advice be wrong? I was under the impression that the oz walky talky radio's worked on a different frequency and that ones from other countries could interfere with fire brigade etc...

Also, it would be ilegal anyway due to not having the oz sticker on it - no matter what the actual frequency is.

However, nz/oz walkey talky's are on the same frequency and allowed in both countries.

Originally posted by PeteY
No probs. We have a set we use when fishing/camping etc. No licence required for any cb here anymore, apart from HF radio.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 2:53 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Many appologies if its incorrect.....

The guy in Dick Smith told me they were fine to use after looking at them.....and i bought them in the states.

As we all know though....the spotty geeks at DS electronics generally just want you to bugger off so they can get back to their cola and chips!

Pete.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 5:24 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Have had VHF/UHF CB for years, had no probs, so if it still works and you want to use it, bring it. Military have been using ex-US radios for years. Most emergency services now use digital devices for communications, so i don't think your older set will interfer with them.

Licences got the flick years ago. As to being illegal due to not having an oz sticker on it, I would tend to listen to the Dick Smith bloke, as we have electonic gear here that was bought in the UK, and it works ok (and not living in fear of the law kicking down the door) And yes you can legally use scanners as well.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 2:39 am
Leo
Brisbane in early 2004

Leo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

I will bring them - no harm - if not allowed, will throw them away.

../Leo