Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Two months on and still lovin' it!!

Two months on and still lovin' it!!

Old Mar 4th 2006, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of
Default Two months on and still lovin' it!!

Hi Everyone

Just thought I'd update you on our progress. We've been in Manly just outside Brisbane for two months now and absolutely love it! We cannot believe how quickly we have settled in and how the kids just do not ask about the UK at all. I still haven't had any bouts of home sickness but I do realise it's still early days. Hubby says if I want to go home I will have to get a divorce! No pressure there then!!

I was worried that I wouldn't be able to stand the summer weather but I love it and love looking at blue sky every day (apart from the last few days which has been very wet with gale force winds!!). I also love the free barbeques which are everywhere and make going out with the kids a really cheap day out! The kids think we have done something really special! They love their new found freedom! They love being outdoors! We bought them all bikes and they are never off them and their swimming as improved no end. We have both noticed how much more confident they are. They love school and are up and dressed to go before we even get up!

Our 15 year old had a few weeks when we were worried that she wasn't going to settle but hardly get to talk about it with her now as she is always in the shopping malls or partying with her new friends. The rest of the time she spends on MSN, mornings and evenings to her UK friends and rest of the time to her new Ozzie friends. I think MSN asap is a must as soon as you get over here for any teenagers!! I thought it might make her wish that she was back home but it actually makes her realise that her mates are not doing anything new while she is doing lots of new and exciting things!

Hubby has started his own gardening business and is really enjoying being his own boss. The work is steadily coming in and it seems if you are reliable and a hard worker then he shouldn't have too many problems even though there are lots of gardeners about. I have just started to look for office work and was a bit disappointed at first as people seem reluctant to employ on a permanent contract if you have never worked in Oz but a temp job seems to have sorted that problem out and I have now got a couple of interviews lined up.

Our neighbours have been really friendly and helpful, bringing over boxes of toys for the kids till our stuff arrives, inviting us over for barbies, letting us use their pool and lending us chairs etc till our furniture order comes.

Creepy crawly things haven't been as bad as I thought either. They tend to just stop in the garden which is fine by me! Mozzies were awful when we first arrived, everyone said we would get used to it but I didn't believe them! They were right of course! Don't know whether they have just stopped biting us or whether we are now immune to it but either way it doesn't seem to bother any of us much anymore.

Most people in shops, garages etc are very friendly and chatty and it might just be me but when they say 'Have a nice day' I believe they mean it!!! For anyone coming to Queensland don't open a bank account with the Bank of Queensland as they don't print your name on your card so you can't use it as I.D. for things like Centrelink, Dept of Transport, Tax File Number etc. We had to move banks for this reason. The automatic packing of bags in the supermarket is fantastic and less stressful than being reluctantly asked if you want a hand packing! And as for the slight price difference between here and the UK I haven't really noticed and to be honest I really don't care!!!!

I could go on and on so I'll stop now! I think you get the general idea that we love it out here and its the best decision we have ever made! There are some things that are not as good as the UK but not that bad that we would want to go back. So for everyone who is still waiting for their visa or house sale I think it is worth it and we would go through all the stress, tears, last minute doubts and upset all over again just to have this opportunity!!!

Good luck to you!

Jo
Old Mar 4th 2006, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

joanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud of
Default Re: Two months on and still lovin' it!!

Originally Posted by OzWannabee
Hi Everyone

Just thought I'd update you on our progress. We've been in Manly just outside Brisbane for two months now and absolutely love it! We cannot believe how quickly we have settled in and how the kids just do not ask about the UK at all. I still haven't had any bouts of home sickness but I do realise it's still early days. Hubby says if I want to go home I will have to get a divorce! No pressure there then!!

I was worried that I wouldn't be able to stand the summer weather but I love it and love looking at blue sky every day (apart from the last few days which has been very wet with gale force winds!!). I also love the free barbeques which are everywhere and make going out with the kids a really cheap day out! The kids think we have done something really special! They love their new found freedom! They love being outdoors! We bought them all bikes and they are never off them and their swimming as improved no end. We have both noticed how much more confident they are. They love school and are up and dressed to go before we even get up!

Our 15 year old had a few weeks when we were worried that she wasn't going to settle but hardly get to talk about it with her now as she is always in the shopping malls or partying with her new friends. The rest of the time she spends on MSN, mornings and evenings to her UK friends and rest of the time to her new Ozzie friends. I think MSN asap is a must as soon as you get over here for any teenagers!! I thought it might make her wish that she was back home but it actually makes her realise that her mates are not doing anything new while she is doing lots of new and exciting things!

Hubby has started his own gardening business and is really enjoying being his own boss. The work is steadily coming in and it seems if you are reliable and a hard worker then he shouldn't have too many problems even though there are lots of gardeners about. I have just started to look for office work and was a bit disappointed at first as people seem reluctant to employ on a permanent contract if you have never worked in Oz but a temp job seems to have sorted that problem out and I have now got a couple of interviews lined up.

Our neighbours have been really friendly and helpful, bringing over boxes of toys for the kids till our stuff arrives, inviting us over for barbies, letting us use their pool and lending us chairs etc till our furniture order comes.

Creepy crawly things haven't been as bad as I thought either. They tend to just stop in the garden which is fine by me! Mozzies were awful when we first arrived, everyone said we would get used to it but I didn't believe them! They were right of course! Don't know whether they have just stopped biting us or whether we are now immune to it but either way it doesn't seem to bother any of us much anymore.

Most people in shops, garages etc are very friendly and chatty and it might just be me but when they say 'Have a nice day' I believe they mean it!!! For anyone coming to Queensland don't open a bank account with the Bank of Queensland as they don't print your name on your card so you can't use it as I.D. for things like Centrelink, Dept of Transport, Tax File Number etc. We had to move banks for this reason. The automatic packing of bags in the supermarket is fantastic and less stressful than being reluctantly asked if you want a hand packing! And as for the slight price difference between here and the UK I haven't really noticed and to be honest I really don't care!!!!

I could go on and on so I'll stop now! I think you get the general idea that we love it out here and its the best decision we have ever made! There are some things that are not as good as the UK but not that bad that we would want to go back. So for everyone who is still waiting for their visa or house sale I think it is worth it and we would go through all the stress, tears, last minute doubts and upset all over again just to have this opportunity!!!

Good luck to you!

Jo
Jo brilliant thread! please do go on!LOL I could read about this all day long! So glad you've settled well. Jo can I ask what year has your 15 year old started in at school and what year did she leave school in UK? How has she found the school work etc?
Cant wait until the stage where you are! Keep posting.
from one Jo to another!
Old Mar 4th 2006, 1:36 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Tell us more...tell us more.... this is a great thread! Glad that you have settled in so well!

Love jackie x
Old Mar 4th 2006, 2:00 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Jo that's a fantastic post, just what i needed today, 'having one of my, am i doing the right thing days'

Especially loved the bit about your 15 year old, coz i have a 14 year old girl.

You've got me all excited now, so to speak
Old Mar 4th 2006, 2:06 pm
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone

Good luck to you!

Jo

Jo
Congratulations on your new life, sounds just the ticket, you made me feel better about taking our 16yr old daughter, she has lots of friends here, but still looking forward to going (hope she is as good as yours when we finally get there!) 10 year old is adaptable, but still.... nice to know that it sounds as good as we hoped it would be...thanks for a positive post
Old Mar 4th 2006, 3:14 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jo,

Great post. glad things are going ok. Just booked our holiday accomodation for 4 weeks when we come over in June. getting excited and after reading your post even more so.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Mar 4th 2006, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

angel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond repute

Good to see how well you have all settled in. Good on you. I like to hear how others are doing, it kind of relieves the fear a bit.

All the best for the future.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 4:40 pm
superam74

Hi Everyone

Good luck to you!

Jo
Great post , all the best for the future

Old Mar 4th 2006, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of

Jo,

Thanks for that brilliant post.
It has made me feel much better about our decision to emigrate - we had some serious cold feet lately.

My hubbie visited Manly this time last year and loved it all around that area.

Keep on posting and keep enjoying yourselves,

Jo
(yes, another one!)
Old Mar 4th 2006, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

leechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud of

Great to hear you and your family are settling in well and enjoying your new life!! It really is lovely to hear peoples stories from the other side, so to speak! It is encouraging to all those of us still caught up in the visa process, so thankyou and hope your new life goes from strength to strength
Old Mar 4th 2006, 6:14 pm
Enjoy it while you can

Chick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really nice

Hi Everyone

Good luck to you!

Jo
Great Post and as others have said PLEASE do go ON and ON and ON. I could of read this post all night and I am supposed to be in the bathroom getting ready for a night out, LOL. Great that someone is enjoying everything. Can't wait to get over there should be June for us. Was there lots of humidity, I can stand any amount of heat as long as it's dry heat but I've heard that Brisbane is very humid, please let us know with another BIG thread.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone

Good luck to you!

Jo
Hi there, well done lass, you seem really happy, all the best to you.
My mum and dad are here at the mo, -5 in sunny Morecambe.We had a full page in the local visitor, do you read it on the internet, 5 pics.
just put Cranswicks in search and you will see us.
Our new house is looking great now.
My 19 yr old daugher is camping at the moment, well i never thought that would happen. KEEP IN TOUCH
Denise xx
Old Mar 4th 2006, 8:17 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to (usally although you wouldnt believe it the last couple of days) sunny Bayside!
Old Mar 4th 2006, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Jo

I think the gardening business will go well as reliability is a big thing. I tried to get someone before Christmas and he didn't turn up when he was supposed to, then didn't turn up on the new day arranged and never rang to say he wasn't coming.............and I stayed in waiting for him!!!!!!!!!

Thanks about the tip about the bank as we are looking at accounts now to see if there is a better one than the one we have now, and the Bank of Queensland was one option. Who have you opened an account with now??

It is great that you have settled in so well so quickly. I think it is easier if the kids are happy too, which yours sound to be.

Amanda
Old Mar 5th 2006, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by joanneS
Jo brilliant thread! please do go on!LOL I could read about this all day long! So glad you've settled well. Jo can I ask what year has your 15 year old started in at school and what year did she leave school in UK? How has she found the school work etc?
Cant wait until the stage where you are! Keep posting.
from one Jo to another!
Hi Jo

Glad you liked the post! When we left the UK a lot of people thought we were mad as we took her out of her last year 6 months before her GCSE's. She should have been taking them in May! We talked it over with her and thought it was best for her to start Year 11 at the beginning with everyone else and I think we've made the right decision. The school she is in is much better than her UK one so I'm hoping she is going to get better grades now than she would in her GCSE's. She wants to teach so it is important that she gets good grades. The school is very strict and I like that! I think she does now she has got used to it!!! She says the school work is harder in some subjects like Maths and French but easier in others like Science and Geography but I have to say that she did like those subjects and did not like the other two!!!

As I said she is always on MSN so if you want her details so your teenager can chat to her she wont mind!! Send me a PM!

If you have any other questions just ask away 'cos I know what I was like needing info before I came!

Best of luck

Jo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.