Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tweed Heads/ Coolangatta

Tweed Heads/ Coolangatta

Old Jun 20th 2005, 8:11 am
Just Joined

Happy Hayley has a brilliant futureHappy Hayley has a brilliant futureHappy Hayley has a brilliant futureHappy Hayley has a brilliant futureHappy Hayley has a brilliant futureHappy Hayley has a brilliant future
Default Tweed Heads/ Coolangatta

Hi hope i can get some help.

We are considering moving to this area as we want to be inside the NSW border to take advantage of the zero stamp duty when buying a house up to $500,000, yet still be in driving distance to Brisbane.
Does anyone have any opinons about the area and a rough guide as to how long the drive is to Brisbane? We don't intend to work in Brisbane but local to Tweed Heads or Coolangatta. Just wants to be in arms reach of urban life when we feel like it.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 9:09 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tweed Heads/ Coolangatta

Originally Posted by Happy Hayley
Hi hope i can get some help.

We are considering moving to this area as we want to be inside the NSW border to take advantage of the zero stamp duty when buying a house up to $500,000, yet still be in driving distance to Brisbane.
Does anyone have any opinons about the area and a rough guide as to how long the drive is to Brisbane? We don't intend to work in Brisbane but local to Tweed Heads or Coolangatta. Just wants to be in arms reach of urban life when we feel like it.
ive done the drive but cant rmbr how long it took me. but i woudnt wanna do it twice a day.
thought i would bump this , cos someone will answer it tonight
Old Jun 20th 2005, 9:26 am
ABCDiamond

It's just over the 100km's between Tweed Heads and Brisbane Central, the motorway is a very good one between the two, and so, from beginning of the motorway to the end, it shouldn't be much more than 1 hour, during quiet times for traffic.

But I dont know what it would be like during commute times.

www.whereis.com quotes 1hr 44mins for the trip.

But..... that site quotes 1 Hr 21 Mins from Surfers Paradise to my house, although I do it normally in about 1 hour.

So... work on the 1hr 44mins and you should have time to spare, on the majority of trips.

Sorry I can't be exact, but it's a start

Old Jun 20th 2005, 9:29 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

have a look at this
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=305059
Old Jun 20th 2005, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Happy Hayley has a brilliant futureHappy Hayley has a brilliant futureHappy Hayley has a brilliant futureHappy Hayley has a brilliant futureHappy Hayley has a brilliant futureHappy Hayley has a brilliant future

Great info on travelling times. Thanks guys.

Looks like its near enough for us to go in for a day out now and again.

How about Tweed Heads and Coolangatta as a place to live? We don't have kids yet and have no plans for any, so schools etc are not important. We enjoy a bevvie now and again and like the cafe lifestyle, eating out and generally being sociable. Is there much of that there, or would we need to head up the coast a bit?
Old Jun 20th 2005, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

Bumping up
Old Jun 20th 2005, 11:48 pm
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

I there.....we live in Kingscliff , about 10 mins drive from Tweed city. Yes i would agree Brisbane's about an hours drive .
If you are single and enjoy restaurant/cafe life style , why not try looking at the new beach development at salt ( edge of Kingscliff ) i think the sites on the web.....www.saltvillage.com.au.
Your only 5mins over the border as you say...10 mins drive from the Goldcoast.
I'm currently renting , but have purchased a plot at the salt and trying to do a self build.
If you like anymore info , let me know.....only to happy to help.

all the best plum

PS your right about the stamp duty being zero and don't forget your $7000 grant.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 1:47 am
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by the plumber
I there.....we live in Kingscliff , about 10 mins drive from Tweed city. Yes i would agree Brisbane's about an hours drive .
If you are single and enjoy restaurant/cafe life style , why not try looking at the new beach development at salt ( edge of Kingscliff ) i think the sites on the web.....www.saltvillage.com.au.
Your only 5mins over the border as you say...10 mins drive from the Goldcoast.
I'm currently renting , but have purchased a plot at the salt and trying to do a self build.
If you like anymore info , let me know.....only to happy to help.

all the best plum

PS your right about the stamp duty being zero and don't forget your $7000 grant.
Also bear in mind the time difference of 1 hour in summer
Old Jun 21st 2005, 2:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jjonboy
Also bear in mind the time difference of 1 hour in summer
What do you mean? Are you saying its better in NSW as they get daylight saving?

Plumber, thanks for the link it looks lovely, but I dont think we can afford over $400,000 just for the land!
Old Jun 21st 2005, 3:03 am
ABCDiamond

In the summer, if you live in Tweed Heads NSW, and work in Coolangatta QLD, you may leave home at 8.45am to get to work 5 minutes later at 7.50am

But coming home .... leave work at 6:00pm, and it'll be 7:05 when you get home, 5 minutes later

Old Jun 21st 2005, 3:07 am
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

No just mean that NSW has Daylight saving so if you are commuting over border on a daily basis you need to be aware of this in summer.....

Has it's advantages and disadvantages i guess...
Old Jun 21st 2005, 5:00 am
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

Ignore those prices ....you can still buy land here for around $270.000 for cash,also if you don't need a house but want to live on the beach apartments start at $300.000

You could drive another 10 mins south and buy at Koala beach , Portsville ,house and land packages start from around $400.000 ( 4bedrooms)

Looking around , i still think its pretty reasonable round here.....

all the best plum