tv's & video's

Old Jul 25th 2004, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of
Default tv's & video's

hi all can some one tell me if tv's and videos from the uk work in australia (Melbourne)
thanks
Old Jul 25th 2004, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

asfry is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe not, the sound frequency is different in Oz than the UK.
Old Jul 25th 2004, 7:07 pm
I'm PR Now!! Yeah!!

Sam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really nice

TV's will only pick up pictures no sound - best thing to do is buy Ozzie video and tune it through that and then you should be OK.. That is what we are going to do..
Old Jul 25th 2004, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of
Default dvd

Originally posted by asfry
I believe not, the sound frequency is different in Oz than the UK.
thanks asfry are dvd's ok :scared:

Last edited by robert cowan; Jul 25th 2004 at 7:18 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2004, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: tv's

Originally posted by robert cowan
thanks asfry are dvd's ok :scared:
so if i take a new tv to aus will it work with satellite tv
Old Jul 25th 2004, 7:22 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tv's

Originally posted by robert cowan
so if i take a new tv to aus will it work with satellite tv
Hi Robert

There's been loads of threads on this subject, try a search. Have to admit thou I find it all very confusing!!

Walla
Old Jul 25th 2004, 7:46 pm
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, I'll step forward and face the "geek" chants

The issue here is the flavour of PAL that Aus use. We here in the UK use a particular type of PAL which includes the audio sub-carrier at a very specific frequency. Aus use a slightly different flavour of PAL which contains the audio sub-carrier in a different frequency,

What this means is that our UK tv's will be able to receive an Aus tv signal but will not be able to pick up the sound signal. You can get your TV converted to decode th sound signal in the different frequeny range but by far the easiest solution is to but an Aus VCR or SAT and plug it's seperate video/audio signals into your TV.

Ok, I'm a geek. Bring it on, bring it on !
Old Jul 25th 2004, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

jana1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

Will my daughters videos work on a Australian Video player?

Thanks very much
Jana
Old Jul 25th 2004, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

gwrees is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by EssexNobby
OK, I'll step forward and face the "geek" chants

The issue here is the flavour of PAL that Aus use. We here in the UK use a particular type of PAL which includes the audio sub-carrier at a very specific frequency. Aus use a slightly different flavour of PAL which contains the audio sub-carrier in a different frequency,

What this means is that our UK tv's will be able to receive an Aus tv signal but will not be able to pick up the sound signal. You can get your TV converted to decode th sound signal in the different frequeny range but by far the easiest solution is to but an Aus VCR or SAT and plug it's seperate video/audio signals into your TV.

Ok, I'm a geek. Bring it on, bring it on !

Am I right in thinking though that my telly will be ok out there? Its a Toshiba 36ZP18Q. There are different settings on it (PAL, SECAM, NTSC 4.43 and 3.58) Will it work? I hope it will cause it wasnt cheap!
Old Jul 25th 2004, 9:28 pm
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, they most certainly will.

The reason for this is that VCR's record video and audio signals in two different tracks on the video tape, thererfore the differerent flavours of PAL don't really matter.

Video tapes will definitely work. Any piece of equipment which contains a UK PAL decoder (i.e. UK TV, VRC, SAT) will not work unless it is manually "adjusted".

Hope this helps
Old Jul 25th 2004, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

gwrees is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by gwrees
Am I right in thinking though that my telly will be ok out there? Its a Toshiba 36ZP18Q. There are different settings on it (PAL, SECAM, NTSC 4.43 and 3.58) Will it work? I hope it will cause it wasnt cheap!

C'mon, there must be a tv geek somewhere out there who knows! I've realised now that it will work through a new video, but will it work without it?

5 beer tokens for the right answer!
Old Jul 25th 2004, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

anypan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by gwrees

Our TV is a Goodmans, nothing special but it will do for the time being. It to also has the different settings on it for PAL, SECAM etc so if we alter the setting when we are in Melbourne will it receive a signal without running it through a video.

If it will, which setting / format is used in Australia so we know which one to adjust to
Old Jul 25th 2004, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

chew is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: tv's & video's

This might help,if your tellys wont pick up sound,plug in your english vcr,tune it to your telly,then retune your vcr to local stations,use the vcr to switch channels on telly,worked on 5 vcr's
here+freinds.if you have dvd player/recorder's places like this might help

http://www.nerd-out.com/darrenk/