Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

TVs & Videoes from England to Perth

TVs & Videoes from England to Perth

Old Jun 23rd 2006, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Ant & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant future
Default TVs & Videoes from England to Perth

Hi everyone

Can anyone tell me if our newish TV and video will work in Perth? Will all our white goods work there aswell.

Thank you in advance

Antoinette
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 8:50 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TVs & Videoes from England to Perth

Originally Posted by Ant & Kev
Hi everyone

Can anyone tell me if our newish TV and video will work in Perth? Will all our white goods work there aswell.

Thank you in advance

Antoinette
If you do a search for this, there are lots of posts on the subject.

I have heard on here that newer TV's normally work, but some older ones may work without sound. This is due to the frequency being different. You can get round this by buying a Oz digibox or video/DVD recorder.

VCR's work for playing videos, but I heard somewhere that you can't tune all the channels in as their channel numbers are higher i.e in UK BBC1 is something like 60, but oz channel numbers are higher

White goods should be OK, although fridges, if they are over a certain age may not be allowed in the country due to CFC's. Also fridges don't travel that well, and have been known to pack in. I have also heard that our type of fridges in UK, are not very good at coping with the warm temp in Aus, unless of course you have one of those super dooper giant size jobbies

Hope this has helped

Last edited by Tiawamutu; Jun 23rd 2006 at 8:53 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 8:55 pm

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot to add, it's the same voltage over there as it is here.

The only difference is the plug.

(you probably already know about the plug )
Old Jun 24th 2006, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

Ant & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
Forgot to add, it's the same voltage over there as it is here.

The only difference is the plug.

(you probably already know about the plug )
Thanks for that it has put my mind at ease and I will bring it all over - most of i is only up to 1 year old
Old Jun 24th 2006, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

martin102 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ant & Kev
Thanks for that it has put my mind at ease and I will bring it all over - most of i is only up to 1 year old
If they under 1 year old you will have to pay import duty on them at the other end.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

We brought our TVs and DVD players over and everything works fine.....well, they did for 2 weeks and then both DVD players packed in Both are less than a year old (Sony & Liteon) so we're well pee'd off. Anyone experienced this? We wondered if maybe they just didn't cope with the temperatures in the container or something?
Tracey
Old Jun 24th 2006, 10:59 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Ours work fine. The lcd tv works totaly ,the normal one gets picture and sound via a digi set top box and scart lead .
Old Jun 24th 2006, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

harveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by martin102
If they under 1 year old you will have to pay import duty on them at the other end.
Not if you dont tell them you wont

Di
Old Jun 24th 2006, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by harveyhare
Not if you dont tell them you wont

Di
I declared a few things we had that were under a year , bike parts washing machine etc and we didn't get charged
Old Jun 24th 2006, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Perthforme
Ours work fine. The lcd tv works totaly ,the normal one gets picture and sound via a digi set top box and scart lead .
Is your LCD less than a year old Perthforme? Did you have to pay tax?

I've just realised, we only bought our LCD in December, so it will be less than a yr old

Regarding this import tax. How do they know your things are under a yr old? How will they know if you don't tell them, or have you got to declare them? I know they can check receipts

Also does anyone know the % they charge?
Old Jun 24th 2006, 3:55 pm

Is your LCD less than a year old Perthforme? Did you have to pay tax?

I've just realised, we only bought our LCD in December, so it will be less than a yr old

Regarding this import tax. How do they know your things are under a yr old? How will they know if you don't tell them, or have you got to declare them? I know they can check receipts

Also does anyone know the % they charge?
no tv was just over a year old , but Miele washing machine was only 6 months old, delclared that and a few other thing and not charged anything
There are manufacture date stamps on most things ! this dates them pretty well !

Last edited by Perthforme; Jun 24th 2006 at 4:02 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

We had to pay tax on our LCD, only had it 9 months and the manufacture date was printed on the back so if they'd checked and we hadn't declared it there could have been a problem. I think we were charged about $140 + an admin charge (no idea what % that is or how they worked it out ) for a Sony Bravia LCD (36")
Tracey
Old Jun 24th 2006, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by The Johnstons
We had to pay tax on our LCD, only had it 9 months and the manufacture date was printed on the back so if they'd checked and we hadn't declared it there could have been a problem. I think we were charged about $140 + an admin charge (no idea what % that is or how they worked it out ) for a Sony Bravia LCD (36")
Tracey
Thanks for that

Think I'll go have a alook at the back of ours

Last edited by Tiawamutu; Jun 24th 2006 at 4:28 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 4:29 pm

GRRRRRR!!!!

Ours was manufactured DECEMBER 2005
Old Jun 24th 2006, 11:21 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

If you do a search for this, there are lots of posts on the subject.

I have heard on here that newer TV's normally work, but some older ones may work without sound. This is due to the frequency being different. You can get round this by buying a Oz digibox or video/DVD recorder.

VCR's work for playing videos, but I heard somewhere that you can't tune all the channels in as their channel numbers are higher i.e in UK BBC1 is something like 60, but oz channel numbers are higher

Sometimes they don't work even with the videos. Wife brought her new video with her, but won't tune even videos to Oz tv's( tried 4 different types). Still sitting in box in spare bedroom.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.