Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

TVS AND DO THEY WORK

TVS AND DO THEY WORK

Old Jun 28th 2007, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

carolinelaurie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TVS AND DO THEY WORK

Hi can anyone tell me wether my tvs will work over in Queensland? I have a portable and 3 LCD TV's which i would like to bring, but only if they will pick up Australian TV. I know the boys playstation and x box will work on them but if they are not going to work then thinking of not wasting my container space. Advice please!!
Old Jun 28th 2007, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: TVS AND DO THEY WORK

Not sure about queensland but a friend in wa says hers works fine, you just need to get a freeview (not sure if its called the same over there) box when you get there!
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:24 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinelaurie
Hi can anyone tell me wether my tvs will work over in Queensland? I have a portable and 3 LCD TV's which i would like to bring, but only if they will pick up Australian TV. I know the boys playstation and x box will work on them but if they are not going to work then thinking of not wasting my container space. Advice please!!
The newer TV's should work straight out of the box... Older ones may have a problem with the sound but that's fixed by a digibox or Foxtel (SKY)... Definitely bring them...
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

my tv has freeview built in will it work in oz
Old Jun 28th 2007, 11:43 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Digital TV in Australia uses the DVB standard same as UK.

However, I *think* it uses a slightly different frequency (7Mhz vs 8Mhz). I'm sure most modern sets (modern enough to have an inbuilt DVB tuner) would cope with this but you might want to check the supported frequency range.

(Even if he tuner doesnt work a settop box for $80 will fix you up - so its worth bringing the TV)

Ask the techno-gurus in here for verification:
http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?act=idx
Old Jun 29th 2007, 1:04 am
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

Contrary to popular myth this doesn't depend on age of the TV or LCD vs. Plasma vs. CRT. It really depends on how your TV is designed and the transmitter where you live in OZ.

Buying an ozzie digi box (ala freeview) should make all TV's under 20yrs old work those with a video input/scart as opposed to just an ariel socket if your in a metro area.

(TECHIE BIT)
Australian TV uses VHF as well as UHF. In some areas all channels are on UHF and in others most are on VHF. TV's for the UK do not normally tune into VHF but some have the capability to and lots just have it turned off in the software. The same goes for freeview boxes most will only pick up SBS in most areas but this isn't all boxes or all areas I believe. You may also find that depending on how your UK TV is designed it may not pick up the sound you may only get a picture on analogue tv, this is a difference between PAL-I and PAL-B/G.
(END TECHIE BIT)

I would suggest you bring the TV's if they don't work buy a digi box from coles/woolies if your in a metropolitan area and if your not in a metro area get foxtel (sky)

Last edited by silver; Jun 29th 2007 at 1:07 am. Reason: Added more info
Old Jun 29th 2007, 1:13 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by silver
Contrary to popular myth this doesn't depend on age of the TV or LCD vs. Plasma vs. CRT. It really depends on how your TV is designed and the transmitter where you live in OZ.

Buying an ozzie digi box (ala freeview) should make all TV's under 20yrs old work those with a video input/scart as opposed to just an ariel socket if your in a metro area.

(TECHIE BIT)
Australian TV uses VHF as well as UHF. In some areas all channels are on UHF and in others most are on VHF. TV's for the UK do not normally tune into VHF but some have the capability to and lots just have it turned off in the software. The same goes for freeview boxes most will only pick up SBS in most areas but this isn't all boxes or all areas I believe. You may also find that depending on how your UK TV is designed it may not pick up the sound you may only get a picture on analogue tv, this is a difference between PAL-I and PAL-B/G.
(END TECHIE BIT)

I would suggest you bring the TV's if they don't work buy a digi box from coles/woolies if your in a metropolitan area and if your not in a metro area get foxtel (sky)
a decent summary there
the question has been asked so many times we should have it carved in stone and mounted at the front door to the forum
Old Jul 1st 2007, 6:30 am
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hitchcock71
my tv has freeview built in will it work in oz
We have a sony 2 years old with freeview built in and it doesnt work in QLD, even with a set top box, so going to the tv repair shop soon to see what they can do, Pete
Old Jul 1st 2007, 6:34 am
life's good

allison is a jewel in the roughallison is a jewel in the roughallison is a jewel in the roughallison is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by pete jackson
We have a sony 2 years old with freeview built in and it doesnt work in QLD, even with a set top box, so going to the tv repair shop soon to see what they can do, Pete
We brought our 5 year old JVC widescreen to QLD. We don't have freeview or equivalent but it works fine wired through an australian video recorder!