Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

TV, Xbox 360, ps3, wii from uk to oz

TV, Xbox 360, ps3, wii from uk to oz

Old Dec 27th 2011, 9:58 pm
Planning for the future

Emma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of light
Question TV, Xbox 360, ps3, wii from uk to oz

Currently I have these 3 consoles for the children, we are looking to move to oz next year and I have heard that they will work with the current games I have but not with ones brought from Australia ! Is this true?

With regarding the tv can anyone shed some light on it for me. In the uk we have free view which when tuning your digital tv it will pick up the channels available. How does it work in Australia? Will my TV's be compatible. Not much of an issue for the main tv as we could always get sky/cable subscription, but I'm just wondering as all the children have TV's, would they just be obsolete?

The more I think of the move the more questions I have...... BIG learning curve, one that I am glad to be embracing
Old Dec 27th 2011, 10:44 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV, Xbox 360, ps3, wii from uk to oz

PS3 = region free = work anywhere with any games, however the user profile would be setup to the UK - which is actually something of an advantage.

XBox360 = usually region free, except the DVD player, but some issues with certain games = will generally work, but again user profiles will be UK, Live subs may have issues with lag.

Wii = will work between UK and Oz.

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/...australia.html

TV has been covered a lot in the past, do a search. In short, they have something they call FreeView in Oz, but its a pale imitation of the UK one. If you can set your set to other countries you might find one that will hook onto the Australian signal (Austria if I remember), but you can always dump a cheap digibox onto TV to make it work if not.

You will want to arrange a mechanism for continuing to watch UK TV..... Australian TV tends to have little you would want to watch (Foxtel explicitly included) and what there is is generally UK exports.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 11:40 am
Planning for the future

Emma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by GarryP
PS3 = region free = work anywhere with any games, however the user profile would be setup to the UK - which is actually something of an advantage.

XBox360 = usually region free, except the DVD player, but some issues with certain games = will generally work, but again user profiles will be UK, Live subs may have issues with lag.

Wii = will work between UK and Oz.

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/...australia.html

TV has been covered a lot in the past, do a search. In short, they have something they call FreeView in Oz, but its a pale imitation of the UK one. If you can set your set to other countries you might find one that will hook onto the Australian signal (Austria if I remember), but you can always dump a cheap digibox onto TV to make it work if not.

You will want to arrange a mechanism for continuing to watch UK TV..... Australian TV tends to have little you would want to watch (Foxtel explicitly included) and what there is is generally UK exports.
Thanks you are a star, thanks for the info. Gotta make sure the kids are happy lol
Old Dec 31st 2011, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

seat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to all

Just to confirm that our UK Wii works here, with both UK and Aussie games