Reload this Page >

TV, VIDEOS and DVD

TV, VIDEOS and DVD

Old Aug 12th 2003, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Jo Cousins will become famous soon enough
Default TV, VIDEOS and DVD

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help out and advise what will work in oz out of DVD, Videos and TV's. I thought that our tv's in the UK were incompatible but it looks like some of you are taking urs? Will you have to get them converted?

We r looking at only taking ourselves and our clothes as we only have a small 2 bed house right now with minimal things in which are not really worth taking, however, seeing some threads on here re the cost of white goods i am beginning to wonder.....
Old Aug 12th 2003, 12:48 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV, VIDEOS and DVD

Hi Jo

If you search the archives you'll find loads of threads on it. Heres one to start you off

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...levision+video

With regards to DVD players Oz is region 4. I would suggest you buy a region free dvd player before you go. They are really cheap over here.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 12:59 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by HUP

With regards to DVD players Oz is region 4. I would suggest you buy a region free dvd player before you go. They are really cheap over here.
Cheaper to 'hack' your own one. You can change the 'region' on your own DVD through your remote. They don't tell you that in the instruction book, do they!

http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/info/multiregion/

Last edited by SteveBannister; Aug 12th 2003 at 1:02 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 1:03 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by SteveBannister
Cheaper to 'hack' your own one. You can change the 'region' on your own DVD through your remote. They don't tell you that in the instruction book, do they!

http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/info.multiregion/
Though if you havn't got one yet try Richer Sounds. The cheapest region free DVD player they have is about £35.

http://www.richersounds.com/index.ph...l.php&p=206197

Theres plenty of others out there as well.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice

I'm sure I heard someone mention that they (aus) dont have scart lead connections on anything over there, is this correct?.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Default thanks

Great thanks guys - u lot are a wealth of info. I have found out more in the last week being on this site than anything else!
off to have a look at those websites now..
me
x
Old Aug 12th 2003, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by HUP
Though if you havn't got one yet try Richer Sounds. The cheapest region free DVD player they have is about £35.

http://www.richersounds.com/index.ph...l.php&p=206197

Theres plenty of others out there as well.

HUP
Would you say it would be cheaper to get a DVD from this end then? I have had a look to see if we can multi region hack ours but it is a Sony and we can't so it looks like we will have to get a new one so i was wondering if u knew if we would be better getting it now or not??
ta
Old Aug 12th 2003, 1:21 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by 65 million
I'm sure I heard someone mention that they (aus) dont have scart lead connections on anything over there, is this correct?.

That info was wrong - somebody came back with a good supplier of scart leads in Australia.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 3:37 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

Originally posted by Jo Cousins
HUP
Would you say it would be cheaper to get a DVD from this end then? I have had a look to see if we can multi region hack ours but it is a Sony and we can't so it looks like we will have to get a new one so i was wondering if u knew if we would be better getting it now or not??
ta
Well its really a question of what you want to spend. If you don't mind cheap and cheerful then get it over here.

If your after spending a bit more money and are worried about warranties then get it over there. Though I have heard that multi region dvd players are not so easy to come buy over there and if you already have dvds or any relatives/friends who will send your kids films then a multi-region is a must.

Looking at the £35 DVD player detailed above it ain't the best in the world but it'll do what it says on the box. I'd probably spend a little more than that though

So in conclusion "my opinion" and my action will be to buy one over here.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

Kamanchi is an unknown quantity at this point

For those of you that brought a high end DVD player which can't be soft modded you may want to consider getting it professionally chipped.

http://www.techtronics.com does this with a free pickup and return for UK main land addresses.

You can of course buy a new one for cheaper but if you made a large investment in one like I did you may not want to throw it away.

Disclaimer - I don't work for them and there are other companies that do this
Old Aug 12th 2003, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jo Cousins
HUP
ta
Jo, if you can't find a hack code then go to your local Sony shop, they'll do it for a charge (dunno how much though..) As far as I know Sony players need a special remote to access it, the shop should keep them & do it there & then.

I you take your telly you'll probably need something to sort out the signal, either a Aus video player or Sat box will do the trick. It's worth taking it if it's a decent one.

Gra..