Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tv,s Bought In Singapore

Tv,s Bought In Singapore

Old Nov 10th 2006, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

fadgefieldclose is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Tv,s Bought In Singapore

Hi Were Coming Out To Ive In Brizza Next Jan And Are Stoping Over In Singapore For A Few Days On The Way.
We Were Thinking Of Buying A Large Screen Tv From There As They,re A Lot Cheaper But Wondered If We,d Get It On The Plane Ok ?
Anyone Ever Done This ? Cheers
Old Nov 10th 2006, 9:46 pm

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tv,s Bought In Singapore

Now that i would pay to see.....trying to get a 42" plasma in a overhead locker
Old Nov 10th 2006, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

has anyone got any sensible answers ? just thought we may have to pay a bit extra with being over our allowance .
Old Nov 10th 2006, 9:59 pm

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Ok sensible answer...why stress out over saving a few bucks..buy one here at least you'll have the warranty and probably less chance of having it damaged in transit
Old Nov 10th 2006, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Tv,s Bought In Singapore

[what goods the warranty if were in oz ? just thought they,re packed pretty sturdy anyway and just get someone to put some extra packing around it and obviuosly label as fragile ?
i just thought a few people mite av thought of this before with elec goods bieng so cheap in singapore but pehaps ur rite.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by fadgefieldclose
[what goods the warranty if were in oz ? just thought they,re packed pretty sturdy anyway and just get someone to put some extra packing around it and obviuosly label as fragile ?
i just thought a few people mite av thought of this before with elec goods bieng so cheap in singapore but pehaps ur rite.

Sorry...forgot you wouldn't know I'm in brizzy...just thinking that when we came over a few years ago the last thing I would have felt like doing after a long flight was buying a tv
Old Nov 10th 2006, 10:18 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Sensible Answer:

- The price difference is marginal at best - honestly this stuff is cheap in Aus too. ( www.jbhifi.com.au) is a main stream discounter store like Richer Sounds)

- You would have big warranty issues that would need to be carefully resolved

- These things are seriously heavy - large screen do you mean 42" plasma?

- The excess baggage costs would be horrendous , these take two people to carry, think about how you'd feel trucking up to check-in with a suitcase that took two blokes struggling to carry it and think about how much you would fear the cost of that - it would almost certainly outweigh any savings on purchase price.

- They are delicate and do not travel well (so high likelihood of it being busted when you get it to Aus ).

The net of all this - the price in Aus wont be much different to the price in Singapore. The price in Aus and Singapore are both cheaper than mainstream UK. Dont bother!.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 10:51 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Were Coming Out To Ive In Brizza Next Jan And Are Stoping Over In Singapore For A Few Days On The Way.
We Were Thinking Of Buying A Large Screen Tv From There As They,re A Lot Cheaper But Wondered If We,d Get It On The Plane Ok ?
Excess baggage!!! It won't go as hand luggage, cos it won't fit in the locker - that actually was a sensible answer you were given! Hold luggage - 50-50 chance of it getting here in one piece, but I wouldn't hold my breath
Next - just being picky - its brissie not Brissa - don't ask me why, but I know if you call it Brizza the locals will give you funny looks (I know that cos I'm married to one and he just said )

and - sorry, my personal beef - don't start each word with a capital letter - makes it conusing to read!!
Old Nov 10th 2006, 11:44 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Tv,s Bought In Singapore

what goods the warranty if were in oz ?
Exactly.

His point was that you should buy one once you arrive in Australia, so that your warranty would count for something.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

[Get A Life
Old Nov 11th 2006, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

[Also I Am An Electrician Not a Typist. Most People Are Very Helpful On This Forum, And Are Not Here To Knock Others Typing Skills!!! SoThanks For All The Sensible Replies, Much Appreciated. It Was Just A Thought>
Old Nov 11th 2006, 4:26 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all
Cool Re: Tv,s Bought In Singapore

Any new item which you take in to OZ will incur tax/duty. :scared: A 42" screen would be a little difficult to hide. They can also tell by the serial number where it was purchased.

Suggest you look on some websites and see what the prices are.

Maggie
Old Nov 11th 2006, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Panasonic 42 inch High Definition TV, will cost you about $3k. You may be able to haggle that down a bit though, I got $1k off ours ($500 cos it was on sale, and $500 cos my Aunt is great at haggling!)
Old Nov 11th 2006, 8:46 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Any warranty is nul and void (at destination country)once you leave the country of origin of the product, so if something goes wrong you would be screaming as to why no-one in Australia will fix it. You would then also have to pay for the freight back to the country of origin to have it fixed, if they would fix it at all and run the risk of further damage OR loss.

Labelling something as fragile WILL NOT ensure that it is handled correctly and doesn't end up in a thousand pieces.
Old Nov 11th 2006, 8:50 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

[Also I Am An Electrician Not a Typist. Most People Are Very Helpful On This Forum, And Are Not Here To Knock Others Typing Skills!!! SoThanks For All The Sensible Replies, Much Appreciated. It Was Just A Thought>
Trying to read sentences this way is very confusing and can be annoying to some(almost as much as paragraphs without punctuation marks), plus it is extremely difficult to type each word starting with a capital letter, even deliberately doing it.

Last edited by The Bloke; Nov 11th 2006 at 8:54 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.