Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

TV knowledge required

TV knowledge required

Old May 2nd 2009, 4:16 am
Account Closed

yafm11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question TV knowledge required

Hi I know someone here will have the knowledge I need.

We have been in Australia for 5 plus years and are still using our British televisions (with teletext) by having them work through an Australian video records. They work well no problems excellent sound vision and text.

However as we are now getting ready to go digital I need to know whether I can use a set top box with these televisions and whether everything will work - are they able to integrate with each other???????
Old May 2nd 2009, 4:36 am
LAM
Forum Regular

LAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really nice
Default Re: TV knowledge required

You'll probably just need to buy a set top box, which handles the digital stuff. We bought one from JB hifi for about $50

Just check to see if you have a scart input on your telly
Old May 2nd 2009, 4:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by LAM
You'll probably just need to buy a set top box, which handles the digital stuff. We bought one from JB hifi for about $50

Just check to see if you have a scart input on your telly
Thanks Lam were your tv's British? I would need a box each would I not? Yvonne
Old May 2nd 2009, 4:43 am
LAM
Forum Regular

LAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really nice

Yes one for each telly.

Our TV isn't british but all the inputs work the same.
Old May 2nd 2009, 6:02 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by LAM
Yes one for each telly.

Our TV isn't british but all the inputs work the same.
MMMmmmmmmmm but would we not have to put the top box theough the vcr and then it would not be digital I really need someone who has done it? Thanks Yvonne
Old May 2nd 2009, 6:47 am
LAM
Forum Regular

you use your scart input.

Press your "AV" button to switch to the different inputs
Old May 2nd 2009, 6:49 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by LAM
you use your scart input.

Press your "AV" button to switch to the different inputs
Thanks Lam I will now go and price out the top boxes I note your $50 one as a start Yvonne
Old May 2nd 2009, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by yafm11
MMMmmmmmmmm but would we not have to put the top box theough the vcr and then it would not be digital I really need someone who has done it? Thanks Yvonne
To answer, no, you would not need this. The VCR is just working as a tuner. Likewise, the set top box is also a tuner, so you are just replacing one with another.

Your TV's will probably have SCART sockets on the back but not all set top boxes have scart sockets - some just the traditional red, white and yellow, replicated on your TV. This is still an AV (audio visual) channel but as long as they are connected, and you press the AV button (often more than once) it will be fine.

Quite often, the TV will sense the scart socket is being used and switch to that automatically. It all depends on the make and model of the TV.
Old May 3rd 2009, 8:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you get a HD (hi-definition) set-top-box in order to receive the HD channels.

Although you may have an ordinary tv (not HD) the box will send a SD (standard definition) signal to your tv.

To sum up - you don't need a HD tv to watch HD channels just a HD set-top-box which will show HD channels on your standard tv.

Plug the box directly into your tv via scart, component-video or s-video.

Before buying the box ensure it has the right connection for your tv - a tv from the UK will probably have a scart input but it also may have a component-video.

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showforum=4 for info on HD STBs

Ian

Last edited by scrubbedexpat020; May 3rd 2009 at 8:20 am.
Old May 3rd 2009, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ebo1608
Make sure you get a HD (hi-definition) set-top-box in order to receive the HD channels.

Although you may have an ordinary tv (not HD) the box will send a SD (standard definition) signal to your tv.

To sum up - you don't need a HD tv to watch HD channels just a HD set-top-box which will show HD channels on your standard tv.

Plug the box directly into your tv via scart, component-video or s-video.

Before buying the box ensure it has the right connection for your tv - a tv from the UK will probably have a scart input but it also may have a component-video.

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showforum=4 for info on HD STBs

Ian
But is it worth buying an HD set-top box for a TV that is not HD, when an SD box would receive most of the same channels anyway and be half the price.

Would have thought it would be better to buy an SD box now and then when changing the TV, replace the box then. Costs will change in the interim and technology will get better, or given that most new TV;'s have HD tuners built-in, there's little chance of wasting money.

Plus, as well as component a TV from the UK will probably have composite as well.

Thus, in simple terms, and quality wise:

Best is HDMI
Then component (often used for DVD players though)
Then SCART
Then s-video
Then (the worst) being composite...
Old May 3rd 2009, 9:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slipshot
But is it worth buying an HD set-top box for a TV that is not HD, when an SD box would receive most of the same channels anyway and be half the price.
Depends on whether you believe the Freeview hype. ATM I agree based on the programming it isn't as the channels offer the same http://guides.news.com.au/television...tion=restofday.

I'm not sure the HD boxes will decrease further. Here's a list of UK HD stbs http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/freesat.html#boxes the UK is a bigger market and the cut over (analogue TXs being switched off) to digital has begun. The cheapest is 50GBP = 100AUD.

They have an oldish TV (at least 5 years) and with respect to the OP have a limited knowledge of a/v so I guessed at them having scart but noted it could have component-video. If the tv has either then it will also have s-video. I didn't want to confuse them with hdmi and besides I find rgb and s-video the same on my 28" widescreen from about 2.5m. The important note to them was not to buy a component-video stb when they have a scart input.

Ian