Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

TV, freeview etc

TV, freeview etc

Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute
Default TV, freeview etc

Not sure if I've got the right forum....looks like we're getting closer to OZ (SA sponsorship approved today!)

Do UK TV's work in OZ? is it PAL NTSC or SECAM? Someone suggested you can get picture but no sound ... Do they travel well?

What about freeview boxes. Obviously I realise the channels broadcast won't be the same but can they pick up any free to air channels out there? We have a rather nice hard-drive/freeview box that I've grown quite attached to.

Any other advice about what's woth bringing over appliance/furniture wise? For most of our stuff I'll do whatever makes most sense financially sell and re buy or ship over.

Thanks

SAFIN
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:35 pm

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: TV, freeview etc

Originally Posted by Safin
Not sure if I've got the right forum....looks like we're getting closer to OZ (SA sponsorship approved today!)

Do UK TV's work in OZ? is it PAL NTSC or SECAM? Someone suggested you can get picture but no sound ... Do they travel well?

What about freeview boxes. Obviously I realise the channels broadcast won't be the same but can they pick up any free to air channels out there? We have a rather nice hard-drive/freeview box that I've grown quite attached to.

Any other advice about what's woth bringing over appliance/furniture wise? For most of our stuff I'll do whatever makes most sense financially sell and re buy or ship over.

Thanks

SAFIN
hi Safin
the whole TV thing has been done so many times before
try using the search option and you'll find a thread like this one only 10 days ago
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=464860
the same goes for the furniture questions

good luck with your move
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:38 pm
Brisbane or bust!

Hooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Safin

Thanks

SAFIN
Hi Safin
We brought our digital tv that had built-in freeview over with us in May but didn't expect it to work from what people had told us. We plugged it in and it found all the tv channels(7, 9 10, abc and sbs) through its analogue tuner! Didn't find anything through the digital tuner on it! Bizarre!
We've since bought digital set-top boxes which cost about $70 and the tv has a good clear picture now.We've also bought a new tv which has a built in HD digital tuner and that works really well. But..... word of caution... the quality of the picture does not alter the fact that the programmes are pretty carp out here! We get some American series (lost, desperate housewives, House, etc) and some Uk, (the bill, midsomer murders!!!) but really it's pants!! We're looking into getting Foxtel ( we really miss Sky plus- how sad are we?!) but in rental for next few months so can't attach anything to outside of the building.
Also worth bearing in mind where you live when you get here if you want access to broadband internet! We can't get it where we live because 'the exchange is full' and apparently Telstra have no plans to update the exchange! Great! So it's dial-up for us! Bit of a shock to the system, you don't realise how much you rely on something until you can't have it!
Hope that helps?
PM if there's anything else!
Cheers
Hooch & Lol
Old Jul 20th 2007, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

Rachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud of

We too can't get onto broadband because of ports not being available, we're having to use mobile wireless which is fast but expensive.

A warning; you can't get chanel 7 or 10 on foxtel - which is were the majority of decent programmes are shown (House, Lost, Desparate Housewives, Greys Anatomy...) when we signed up we were not told this, at the end of our first month we're probably going to cancel it. The whole reason we got foxtel was because we missed our sky+ and the ability to record stuff to watch when you want. So bear that in mind before you sign on the dotted line!

Rach
Old Jul 20th 2007, 12:46 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rachelle
We too can't get onto broadband because of ports not being available, we're having to use mobile wireless which is fast but expensive.

A warning; you can't get chanel 7 or 10 on foxtel - which is were the majority of decent programmes are shown (House, Lost, Desparate Housewives, Greys Anatomy...) when we signed up we were not told this, at the end of our first month we're probably going to cancel it. The whole reason we got foxtel was because we missed our sky+ and the ability to record stuff to watch when you want. So bear that in mind before you sign on the dotted line!

Rach
I second that. I was told about not getting 7 or 10 on Foxtel but figured we could always watch it from air. But unfortunately you can't use the recorder feature for the air channels, so that's annoying.

But I do love being able to record tv shows on Foxtel.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
I second that. I was told about not getting 7 or 10 on Foxtel but figured we could always watch it from air. But unfortunately you can't use the recorder feature for the air channels, so that's annoying.

But I do love being able to record tv shows on Foxtel.
I have Foxtel and I can get all the free-to-air channels on it - including 7 and 10.

It's dependent on whether you have Foxtel cable (as we do) or get your Foxtel from a satellite. Foxtel Cable has no restrictions on free-to-air channels.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 2:51 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm.. if you don't get your tv tune, then you won't be miss much.

ABC - Mostly old brit stuff .. but does have dr who
the rest.. 7,9,10. Most CSI, NCIS type stuff in the evenings, or footy ( rugby/oz rules )

Our tv has tuned by switching it to norway.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

Rachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NickyC
I have Foxtel and I can get all the free-to-air channels on it - including 7 and 10.

It's dependent on whether you have Foxtel cable (as we do) or get your Foxtel from a satellite. Foxtel Cable has no restrictions on free-to-air channels.
So can you record those chanels as well? That's what I really want to do.

Rach
Old Jul 20th 2007, 3:03 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Yes...that's right, I had forgotten about that. We get Foxtel Satellite, as that is what is hooked up in our rental. I think the house we put an offer in on has cable.

When we got it they did say that the regular cable would get channels 7 and 10, but the satellite wouldn't.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by comet555
Yes...that's right, I had forgotten about that. We get Foxtel Satellite, as that is what is hooked up in our rental. I think the house we put an offer in on has cable.

When we got it they did say that the regular cable would get channels 7 and 10, but the satellite wouldn't.
This may be a silly question but I'll ask anyway!!

Can you get a recorder for the foxtel cable like you can for satellite, I just want to be able to record 7 & 10 if possible!?
Old Jul 20th 2007, 3:16 am
Canuck/Aussie

Don't know about the cable. But we have the IQ box for the satellite. I had assumed that when we move into a house we would bring that with us. I think you can use it for cable as well which means you could tape anything that is on it. So if you get 7 and 10 with cable then it should work.

I don't know for sure of course, but I think you could.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I'd imagine that the Foxtel IQ box is the same - whether you have cable or satellite - so you should be able to record 7 and 10 (once you can get it).

We don't have Foxtel IQ - we use a Tivo instead and can definitely record any channel on that.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

I'd imagine that the Foxtel IQ box is the same - whether you have cable or satellite - so you should be able to record 7 and 10 (once you can get it).

We don't have Foxtel IQ - we use a Tivo instead and can definitely record any channel on that.
I think we'll have to have a play with the connections to see what we can do! Thanks for you replies.

Rach
Old Oct 12th 2007, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

sunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nice

Originally Posted by gedge
hi Safin
the whole TV thing has been done so many times before
try using the search option and you'll find a thread like this one only 10 days ago
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=464860
the same goes for the furniture questions

good luck with your move

Right read all that lot & searched....but what about freeview boxes ?
We have a nifty twin freeview hard disk recorder (Humax PVR) which has been great.... will it work or should I bequeath to a relly ?

concerned from Warrington