Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

tv conversion cost

tv conversion cost

Old Jan 4th 2004, 1:37 pm

sewak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default tv conversion cost

I am trying to evaluate whether it is worth taking the televisions with us. There is a sony KV-M1400U model (14inch) and the main tv - sony KV-32FX65 (32inch). The latter supports PAL, SECAM, NTSC 3.58,4.43.

The latter one is 2.5 yrs old and cost £1300 new. I am interested if any one knows whether they can be converted to receive Aus tv as well as conversion costs for each. As the main tv is large, it will mean that the conversion (if required) will need to be done on site as it seems to weighs a ton!

any help would be most appreciated.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 2:22 pm
Account Closed

devtrend is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: tv conversion cost

Originally posted by sewak
I am trying to evaluate whether it is worth taking the televisions with us. There is a sony KV-M1400U model (14inch) and the main tv - sony KV-32FX65 (32inch). The latter supports PAL, SECAM, NTSC 3.58,4.43.

The latter one is 2.5 yrs old and cost £1300 new. I am interested if any one knows whether they can be converted to receive Aus tv as well as conversion costs for each. As the main tv is large, it will mean that the conversion (if required) will need to be done on site as it seems to weighs a ton!

I would take the telly with you
1.Tellies really expensive here
2. Videos players cheap
3.Wont get F.All for it second hand in the UK
4. Read the Instructions may be easy to change settings in the menu.

what we have done is bought a cheap video player this then acts as the receiver for the broadcasts TV just becomes a monitor we thought this a good solution till we change our TV
Old Jan 4th 2004, 3:00 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by devtrend
I would take the telly with you
1.Tellies really expensive here
2. Videos players cheap
3.Wont get F.All for it second hand in the UK
4. Read the Instructions may be easy to change settings in the menu.

what we have done is bought a cheap video player this then acts as the receiver for the broadcasts TV just becomes a monitor we thought this a good solution till we change our TV
I'll also say thanks for this as we will hopefully be going to Perth by Sept and have the same TV. Your response on the air con was great also and one to store away ready for when we get there.

Keep on posting the good advice.

Best wishes

Warren

Old Jan 4th 2004, 3:32 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Teleservice in Perth advertise that they do conversions, plenty of others will no doubt do it, well worth bringing your TV. not that you will find much worth watching.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 5:03 pm
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sewak

Hi,

Both of your TV's will work but they may not be able to receive broadcast terrestrial TV. Aus uses a slightly different standard of PAL to the UK. It sounds like the 32in is a true multi-standard though so there sould be no problem with it - it may even auto-sense the new standard or you may need to change a setup option.

Note that the standard only relates to RF signals - that's those that come into the TV via the aerial lead. Anything using scarts, s-video or digital will be fine.

As was said above - buy a cheap oz video and use it as a tuner.

All your VHS tapes will be fine. DVD's present more of a problem because of region protection (SPIT!!). Your DVD's will be region 2 Aus is region 4. Make sure you have a multi-region player! (They're cheaper over here, so it may be worth getting one before you go).

Cheers

Perry
Old Jan 4th 2004, 5:16 pm
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

I got a hacking code off the net for my dvd players, now they are multiregion!
I have a brouchure here sent to me from someone in Perth, a store called The Good Guys (discount for cash!!!) is selling 68cm TV's for $489 (for those who cant take TVs).
Old Jan 4th 2004, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Polly58 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cherry6
Do you recall the web address for the hacking code - would be much cheaper than replacing our existing one!
Old Jan 4th 2004, 5:23 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by cherry6
I have a brouchure here sent to me from someone in Perth, a store called The Good Guys (discount for cash!!!) is selling 68cm TV's for $489 (for those who cant take TVs).

hi,

As I guess you have tried it, could you give me the website address for the hacking codes ??

Thanx

Warren

Old Jan 4th 2004, 5:26 pm
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

Hi,
Yes I have hacked all my familys dvd players. Some players wont hack, but most do. You just get the code and use the remote.

www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/info/multiregion

Is the site I mainly use, but failing that just type the make and model into the search engine and see what comes up. There is loads of sites.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 5:26 pm
Wishing on a star...

And if you are really lazy PM me with make and model and I will do the legwork for you
Old Jan 4th 2004, 5:56 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by cherry6
And if you are really lazy PM me with make and model and I will do the legwork for you
I'm not that bad.......have you been chatting to my wife !!!

Thanx. I'll let you know if I have a problem.

Warren

Old Jan 4th 2004, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Polly58 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cherry6

Thanks for your help we'll have a go at converting our DVD now.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Mr&MrsPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I read on another site (i think it was lets-perth or something) that someone had two tv's converted at $50 ea. Does that sound realistic, if so that seems quite reasonable.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Aussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really nice

All
radios will work here but there is no LW.
Tv's are a different problem only one channel SBS works on UHF.
All the other stations are on VHF.
Sell your video recorder in UK but bring your tapes .
A top of the line machine sells for about $200.
Sell your dvd player I have an $80 machine that plays UK/USA/Aussie.
A 14 inch tv can be picked up for about $120
Square tvs are dying here widescreen TEAC 76 cm $1500.
The trouble with conversions is when you want to plug into pay tv you can hit costly extra conversions.
Also when the set goes wrong you may not be able to get parts
thats the problem we had with our THORN set.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 8:21 pm
Wishing on a star...

snowhite, have replied to your PM re: hacks
let me know if any probs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.