TV in Aus

Old Jul 31st 2005, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

jo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant future
Default TV in Aus

Hi,

What are the TV channels like in Aus, are they any good and how about Eastenders(Sad I know, but I shall miss it, although the bbc are putting a lot of there programs online soon, and all you need is a UK TV license).

Can you get UK sport, like Cricket, footie and Rugby(Hopefully).

Thanks in Advance

Jo

(Eastenders Fan from the very 1st eposide, I must get out more )
Old Jul 31st 2005, 10:00 pm
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light
Talking Re: TV in Aus

Originally Posted by jo_west
Hi,

What are the TV channels like in Aus, are they any good and how about Eastenders(Sad I know, but I shall miss it, although the bbc are putting a lot of there programs online soon, and all you need is a UK TV license).

Thanks in Advance

Jo

The best Aussie TV show of recent times was "Kath and Kim".....!!!!!!!

I rest my case.....

CORKER
Old Jul 31st 2005, 10:12 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV in Aus

On the whole the consensus seems to be that the TV here is pretty dire - but to be honest I always thought it was pretty dire in the UK too.

To see what sort of thing is available, try here . Pick a city and see what is on. Pay TV is available in most places but depending where you are depends who provides and there are some differences in programming. Also, same goes for the diffrent states and the free terrestrial TV - e.g. in Melbourne the footy show is all about AFL, in NSW/Qld it is Rugby League - similar for the actual coverage of matches on Friday Night Footy etc.

As for UK sport - they do give the results of major UK soccer matches on the radio (which is more than I ever remember UK radio doing for AFL and RL matches). I do not care so I do not watch, but I beleive SBS shows some English Soccer matches
Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Jul 31st 2005, 10:19 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DagBoy
On the whole the consensus seems to be that the TV here is pretty dire - but to be honest I always thought it was pretty dire in the UK too.

To see what sort of thing is available, try here . Pick a city and see what is on. Pay TV is available in most places but depending where you are depends who provides and there are some differences in programming. Also, same goes for the diffrent states and the free terrestrial TV - e.g. in Melbourne the footy show is all about AFL, in NSW/Qld it is Rugby League - similar for the actual coverage of matches on Friday Night Footy etc.

As for UK sport - they do give the results of major UK soccer matches on the radio (which is more than I ever remember UK radio doing for AFL and RL matches). I do not care so I do not watch, but I beleive SBS shows some English Soccer matches
Cheers,

DagBoy
Having looked at the "Free to Air" listings for WA, I think I can safely say that Ozzie TV looks like restoring the art of conversation in our house!!!
Old Jul 31st 2005, 10:39 pm
Back in Uk and loving it

Emzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jo_west
Hi,

Thanks in Advance

Jo

Hi
Sad as it is i too am an Eastenders fan . You can only get Eastenders here on Foxtel, ( sky, but not as good ), currently Vicky still has that ridiculous american accent, Janine and Barry have just got together, the ferreira Dad is still in it and Martin has just come out of prison :scared: , so all in all if you are coming over here in 2 years i would stop watching it now and then you will be able to catch up where you left off !.
Old Jul 31st 2005, 11:45 pm
Tell it like it is'er

Scorpio1 will become famous soon enough

TV sucks on the whole over here - too many annoying adverts & sponsorship of programmes, stupid banners that pop up on the screen while you're watching programmes, loads of sport (but mainly crappy AFL & cricket), way too much American drivel (CSI, Law & Order, Sitcoms), way too little good British TV. A good idea is to record what you want to watch & then skip the adverts.

SBS used to show soccer highlights but now you can only get soccer on Foxtel (pay TV).
Old Jul 31st 2005, 11:53 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Scorpio1
TV sucks on the whole over here - too many annoying adverts & sponsorship of programmes, stupid banners that pop up on the screen while you're watching programmes, loads of sport (but mainly crappy AFL & cricket), way too much American drivel (CSI, Law & Order, Sitcoms), way too little good British TV. A good idea is to record what you want to watch & then skip the adverts.

SBS used to show soccer highlights but now you can only get soccer on Foxtel (pay TV).
Whilst changing channels yesterday, I was sure that I saw soccer on SBS.
I looked it up on the SBS website http://www2.sbs.com.au/home/index.php3 and yes, 2 hours of soccer on Sunday at 4pm

I also record a lot of things and watch them later skipping the adverts

But I tend to watch ABC a lot, NO adverts

Old Jul 31st 2005, 11:55 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

The TV is getting better at the mo, either that or i am just being assimilated :scared:

As for Eastenders, you get over it
Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

[As for Eastenders, you get over it [/QUOTE]

Totally agree with you Hevs, you get over it! I used to watch HOLLYOAKS -yes alright! But since being in OZ just haven't missed it or any other UK TV prog - honestly!

I, unlike a lot of people on here - really LIKE whats on OZ TV - I find it better than what I cld get on 'normal' UK tv! Most of what I watch on OZ tv I could only get on SKY channels in the UK, for instance, the new series of 24, Lost, Desperate Housewifes, McCleods Daughters, Video Hits, Rove Live etc and of course, as many 'detective' progs as you could possibly want from all over the globe!!! Also there have been some awesome drama from the UK which has been aired since we've been here, watched a new one last night and according to ABC they have loads more coming up - all good stuff! Will have to get the DVD recorder into gear ABC eh!!! Will the real ABC stand up

Know what you mean ABC - the adverts are like SKY used to be in the UK! Every couple of minutes on the most popular progs! Drives me mad sometimes - or I fall asleep getting fed up waiting for the next bit!

We will not be subscribing to any 'satellite' channels - Bix isn't a TV man so don't need any sports progs - of course you lot already know that don't you

Old Aug 1st 2005, 1:09 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix da Boss
... Bix isn't a TV man ...
So why was he wearing women's clothes when we met him?

Cheers,
DagBoy
Old Aug 1st 2005, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DagBoy
So why was he wearing women's clothes when we met him?

Cheers,
DagBoy

U CHEEKY SOD - thats MY MAN you are talking about - watch it m8 - I'm coming to Brisbane in September - and I know where you LIVE

What you doing on here this time of the day anyways? Can remember your 'handsome boyish face' whilst typing this - he he!!!!

Sorry Mrs D

We were under the misconception that all you ozzies wear those type of 'shirts'
Old Aug 1st 2005, 3:41 am
Tell it like it is'er

Scorpio1 will become famous soon enough

ABC Diamond - you'll find that SBS only show soccer from other parts of the world, not English soccer premiership (which is not on at the moment anyway of course), as Foxtel bought the rights.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 3:44 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Watched the new series 'The Alice' last night.....

thought it was crap and the acting was worse..
Old Aug 1st 2005, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=carolinegorka]Watched the new series 'The Alice' last night...

thought it was crap and the acting was worse.. [/QUOTE)

Thaks for that - recorded it last night and was just about to go watch it now

You didn't watch/record 'Fingersmith' then? On at the same time. Good ol English drama set in 1800's. I really like period dramas and this one was/is going to be pretty dark me thinks going by last nights episode anyways. (old English asylum and criminal penalties of that day (hanging)gore) Enough to giv'e nitemares tis

Well, going to watch The Alice now!

Old Aug 1st 2005, 4:25 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Bix da Boss]
Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Watched the new series 'The Alice' last night...

thought it was crap and the acting was worse.[/QUOTE)

Thaks for that - recorded it last night and was just about to go watch it now

You didn't watch/record 'Fingersmith' then? On at the same time. Good ol English drama set in 1800's. I really like period dramas and this one was/is going to be pretty dark me thinks going by last nights episode anyways. (old English asylum and criminal penalties of that day (hanging)gore) Enough to giv'e nitemares tis

Well, going to watch The Alice now!

Wished I had seen it - I like period dramas too.

Enjoy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.