Tv

Old Jan 5th 2006, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Matt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to behold
Arrow Tv

Sorry to start a new thread on this, but I'm a bit confused by the different postings regarding TVs. Some say they work, some say they don't, some say they work with top boxes....

We've just got a normal panasonic tele and panasonic DVD recorder/player and now I don't know whether they should go on the ship or not.

Advice please...
Old Jan 5th 2006, 9:38 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tv

Originally Posted by Matt Sabin
Sorry to start a new thread on this, but I'm a bit confused by the different postings regarding TVs. Some say they work, some say they don't, some say they work with top boxes....

We've just got a normal panasonic tele and panasonic DVD recorder/player and now I don't know whether they should go on the ship or not.

Advice please...

If the Telly is fairly new ie last 3 years or so then bring it, if DVD player is multi region or can be made multi region then your laughing.
For all the extra it will cost to ship I'd bring them anyway.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Matt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to behold

Cool. Thanks. They're both fairly new (within the last 3 years) so sounds like they'll be fine.

Appreciated++. Good karma posted...
Old Jan 5th 2006, 9:53 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Cool. Thanks. They're both fairly new (within the last 3 years) so sounds like they'll be fine.

Appreciated++. Good karma posted...
Definetly bring them then. Karma returned.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

hi I would be really careful about this we bought a widescreen tv, dvd and vcr from Sony only 2 years ago, I assumed they would be fine but the other day thought I would just send sony an email to check they are compatible and there not, none of them. which is gutting.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. I'll give Panasonic a ring now.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lawlaw
hi I would be really careful about this we bought a widescreen tv, dvd and vcr from Sony only 2 years ago, I assumed they would be fine but the other day thought I would just send sony an email to check they are compatible and there not, none of them. which is gutting.
Sony may well be thinking to tell you that so you go and buy another one.

A TV is a TV........no matter what make it works the same doesn't it becuase they all have to interpret the same signal........within each country that is.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
Sony may well be thinking to tell you that so you go and buy another one.

A TV is a TV........no matter what make it works the same doesn't it becuase they all have to interpret the same signal........within each country that is.
apparently not, other people have mentioned here that you dont get any sound, now im confused????????????????
Old Jan 5th 2006, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

Ooops - sorry to have started this one. Suppose I should have known everyone would have had different experiences...

It'll be interesting to see what Panasonic say. I've e-mailed them as their telephone support line is useless. I'll post the reply...
Old Jan 5th 2006, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

kiap has a spectacular aura aboutkiap has a spectacular aura aboutkiap has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
TV aint TV

Analogue TV signals in Australia are PAL with 7MHz bandwidth.
Analogue TV signals in UK are also PAL but with 8MHz bandwidth.

Unfortunately this means that the tuners within the TV are different in the two countries, even although the rest of the TV circuitry is much the same.

This applies to the PAL tuners in VCRs, etc, as well.

If you are really want to keep your UK TV set to watch free-to-air TV in Oz you could probably get around the problem by getting something like a a VCR with an Australian PAL TV tuner and using the AV input on your TV. Or better still, get a digital terrestrial set top box (costs $75 for a cheapie, a bit more for a better brand) to get a nice clean picture

apparently not, other people have mentioned here that you dont get any sound, now im confused????????????????
The reason for is related to the signal bandwidth difference I have mentioned above. The sound carriers are not in the same position for UK and Oz.

Good Luck!
Old Jan 5th 2006, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Coool - good karma posted for excessive TV bandwidth knowledge!

Thanks for the info.

Think we'll probably ship it and see (suck it and sea). If we have to buy a top box then that's cheaper than buying a whole new TV and DVD recorder...
Old Jan 5th 2006, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kiap
TV aint TV

Analogue TV signals in Australia are PAL with 7MHz bandwidth.
Analogue TV signals in UK are also PAL but with 8MHz bandwidth.

Unfortunately this means that the tuners within the TV are different in the two countries, even although the rest of the TV circuitry is much the same.

This applies to the PAL tuners in VCRs, etc, as well.

If you are really want to keep your UK TV set to watch free-to-air TV in Oz you could probably get around the problem by getting something like a a VCR with an Australian PAL TV tuner and using the AV input on your TV. Or better still, get a digital terrestrial set top box (costs $75 for a cheapie, a bit more for a better brand) to get a nice clean picture

The reason for is related to the signal bandwidth difference I have mentioned above. The sound carriers are not in the same position for UK and Oz.

Good Luck!

Thanks kiap, probably just not worth the hassle, who needs a tv in aus anyway, the programmes and ads are supposed to be crap anyway.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

kiap has a spectacular aura aboutkiap has a spectacular aura aboutkiap has a spectacular aura about

Coool - good karma posted for excessive TV bandwidth knowledge!

Thanks for the info.

Think we'll probably ship it and see (suck it and sea). If we have to buy a top box then that's cheaper than buying a whole new TV and DVD recorder...
Yeah, geeked it up a bit on the bandwidth info there ..

Shipping your TV is probably worthwhile to save some $$$, but I'd consider offloading the DVD recorder - particularly if it has a locked European DVD region encoding or a UK PAL TV tuner - because if it does it would not be much use in OZ.

Cheers

Last edited by kiap; Jan 5th 2006 at 6:28 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

OK. Geeky bandwidth boy - how do I tell? It's a Panasonic DMR-E50. Any idea?
If you can tell me the answer then I shall forever worship the bandwidth god...
Old Jan 5th 2006, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks kiap, probably just not worth the hassle, who needs a tv in aus anyway, the programmes and ads are supposed to be crap anyway.
When life's good you don't miss the old idiot box that's for sure.

I don't watch much TV these days except for a few things on the non-commercial channels and sports. Free-to-air still has some international sports (cricket, rugby, football...) but if you want premier league and such you need Pay TV.

Happy Viewing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.