Wikiposts

tuberculous.

Old Nov 26th 2003, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

Coventry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default tuberculous.

hi all i am in the middle of a major stress - we are due to fly out to nz dec 7th hubbie already been there since september on work permit.

anyway

stress 1 still waiting for nzis to process mine and kids permits and can't operate on a day to day basis till it is resolved.

stress 2 my 15 year old was due to have her bcg at school today after having the heaf skin test last week. anyway she did not have injection and has been sent home with a note saying she tested positive and it is possible she has been in contact with someone carrying tuberculous. i am waiting for the health authority to call me back now. does anyone have any information on what this may involve. the letter says initially a chest x-ray will be carried out.
has anyone else ever experienced this? or are their any nurses out there that can help with a simple explanation?
Old Nov 26th 2003, 4:08 am
The Pork Pie man!

Wenz has a brilliant futureWenz has a brilliant futureWenz has a brilliant futureWenz has a brilliant futureWenz has a brilliant futureWenz has a brilliant future

Without the chest xray you will not possibly know for sure... but unless she's violently coughing up blood I guess you have nothing to worry about. ...I too had to undergo a chest Xray after my TB tester proved positive for TB (back in 1984 ish). The X ray was clear though and the reason for a positive test was that my Great Grandfather had caught TB wayyy back and the strain was passed down to me. This I have been told by my Doctor to be a positive thing. It means I am now immune from ever catching TB and also saved from the dreaded Jab. If she gets a clear Xray I would say a similar thing has been passed down the generations and she is also holding natural TB antibodies in her body.

Sometimes a negative turns out to be positive and I would say this is one of them
Wenz
Old Nov 26th 2003, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

Hi thanx for that. yes we do have a family history my grandfather died from tb and my motherinlaw had tb in the 1960's she survived but contracted it before my husband was born so she could of passed the anti-bodies to him.

i have had the most stressful afternoon worrying about all the issues, and possible scenarios but never realised you could naturally carry the anti-bodies.

i am going to insist on a chest x-ray tomorrow so i can concentrate on my packing and put this down to just another test of our commitment.

thank you again

carol
Old Nov 26th 2003, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

well definately no blood not even a cough in fact the child has never been ill, she's 15 and i can't even recall her having a cold.

my mother-inlaw had tb in the 60's so sounds like that's what it is, didn't realise you could pass on anti-bodies so thanx for that.

your experience has really relaxed me so again thank you
Old Nov 26th 2003, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Don't worry!! Lots of kids get a positive reaction to the Heaf test it doesn't mean they have had TB. He/she will have to have a chest x-ray anyway as all kids over 12 have to. It is probably just a natural reaction.

I work in a school and lots of kids get this happening with no consequences at all, so don't panic
Old Nov 26th 2003, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Don't worry!! Lots of kids get a positive reaction to the Heaf test it doesn't mean they have had TB. He/she will have to have a chest x-ray anyway as all kids over 12 have to for the medical. It is probably just a natural reaction.

I work in a school and lots of kids get this happening with no consequences at all, so don't panic
Old Nov 26th 2003, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Don't worry!! Lots of kids get a positive reaction to the Heaf test it doesn't mean they have had TB. He/she will have to have a chest x-ray anyway as all kids over 12 have to for the medical. It is probably just a natural reaction.

Old Nov 26th 2003, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Old Nov 26th 2003, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Old Nov 26th 2003, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

hi thanx for the kind words of support

deep down i just know she doesn't have tb becasue she's not ill. i s'pose with us flying in 10 or so days i just panicked that the process of tests would stop us and then she would have tb on her medical records and when we come to apply for resdiency further down the line they would say

"oh no you don't, no tb carriers allowed in new zealand off you go back to uk"

they made such a fuss at school, infact they phoned the hospital straight away from the school to try and arrange a chest x-ray and becasue it was a 'result 3' whatever that is, they called another doctor to look at it, then phoned me from school during the day for me to contact the health authority, it was all such a fuss that i panicked, plus she was the only one out of three hundred to get the yellow form for an x-ray. poor girl was terified with all the fuss.

the health authority phoned me at home this evening to say they are arranging a chest x-ray and they will call me tomorrow and it was likely she would have a course of antibiotics for 6 months. whether they would supply that in advance i am unsure but tomorrow should clear things up.