Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Trying another State

Trying another State

Old May 9th 2010, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Trying another State

To those of you who moved States rather than going back to the UK, how did you decide to try it and not go back? Did another State work for you and your family and how did you decide on which State to try?
Old May 9th 2010, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trying another State

You can't move! You're one of only 3 people I know in Perth!
Old May 9th 2010, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

But I guess a more sensible reply would be to tell us what you like/don't like about where you are now then people could suggest places to try?
Old May 9th 2010, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it worked for us we lived in Queensland for nearly 4 years and moved to New South Wales just after xmas and it was the best thing we did since arriving here!
Old May 9th 2010, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

billabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Kingseat
To those of you who moved States rather than going back to the UK, how did you decide to try it and not go back? Did another State work for you and your family and how did you decide on which State to try?
We chose a new state for career reasons, as found very limited work choices in the first state.

I was unemployed for a year. But within two weeks of moving to a new state, I had found a decent job.

We took a short holiday break, checked out the area and then decided to make a permanent move based on our findings.

A friend of mine moved from NSW to QLD, as she wanted to live in a warmer climate.
Old May 9th 2010, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

billabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to all

What attracts people to a place anyway?

What makes people happy and tick in certain areas?

I have experienced a very weird phenomenon over the past fifteen years, and I still don’t have an explanation for it.

Over the years at various times and in various places, I have met around twenty English people (seemingly unknown to each other) who all live in a small community called Brooklyn on the Hawkesbury River in NSW.

I have visited Brooklyn a number of times and it seems a nice little place and the surrounding area is very beautiful.

But I don’t understand the “attraction”. I don’t understand why so many English people have raved about it. I never hear Australians raving about it.

Pretty much each time I have met English people who live there, they say it is the best place they have ever lived anywhere in the world, or they love it and would never want to live anywhere else.

When I have asked people to explain further, they say they can’t explain why they love it, they just do.

Apart from the scenery and a decent fish & chip cafe, there is nothing really in Brooklyn that I can see as tangible proof of why people love it so much.

I can only guess that the locals are very welcoming and supportive of newcomers.

Either that or there is some sort of weird handshake secret society underground English kinky club happening.

I chose the suburb I live in after visiting on a day trip, where I found the locals to be very friendly.
Old May 9th 2010, 3:35 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

We have spoke about a possible move to Melbourne - for the cooler weather

But - since we discovered Bernieboy is moving there, it's like so no way
Old May 9th 2010, 4:19 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

We've tried 3 states: Stoned, Inebriated & Queensland. We've found you need to be one of the first two to want to stay in Qld
Old May 9th 2010, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kingseat
We have not tried a different state but are moving to a different part of WA.

I do think it would make sense to try a different state as you have come all this way and spent a lot of money coming over here in the first place I know I would before going back.It does seem a few people on here have done that and have been a lot happier for the change.I guess it depends on what you don't like here or miss from the UK.If it's family and friends then maybe going back is the only answer.Good luck.Sue.
Old May 9th 2010, 4:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
We've tried 3 states: Stoned, Inebriated & Queensland. We've found you need to be one of the first two to want to stay in Qld
very true!!!

Originally Posted by scottishcelts

Old May 9th 2010, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

seanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really nice

We lived in Melbourne initally, after 9 months though it was obvious that we weren't happy. We moved to SA and have all settled really well, it wasn't easy starting from scratch again, but for us going back wasn't an option until we'd give it 110%
Best of luck in whatever you decide
Old May 9th 2010, 6:13 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scottishcelts

If you can find work then try the Illawarra. Probably the best climate in Oz for a Brit to live in.
Old May 9th 2010, 10:39 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by LINDZI
Yes it worked for us we lived in Queensland for nearly 4 years and moved to New South Wales just after xmas and it was the best thing we did since arriving here!
It worked for me too, spent quite a number of years in NSW, and then moved to QLD, best thing we did since arriving here

These two posts won't help the OP

Old May 9th 2010, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

I lived in Sydney, moved to Brisbane and then to Sunshine Coast. I have previously lived in Canberra and spent 4 months outside Cairns.

I think the states are quite different and a move can change things.

I hated livign in Brisbane and a move kept me here and now I am happy
Old May 9th 2010, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Thanks everyone. I am unhappy. Want to go home. Hubby loves it and would consider another State. I feel I owe him that. We're here on Student Visas. We need to consider funds in the bank at the end of the course would mean either a) being able to afford some deposit to new house in UK or b) moving to another State and trying to start again/gain PR.

So confusing. Feeling a bit lost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.