Is It True?

Old May 18th 2012, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

jolene27 is on a distinguished road
Default Is It True?

Hi all

My husband says he can earn over $100,000 a year working in the mining industry, he is a caterpillar mechanic and wants to emigrate to nsw with our two kids. Does anyone know anything about this??
Old May 18th 2012, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is It True?

Originally Posted by jolene27
Hi all

My husband says he can earn over $100,000 a year working in the mining industry, he is a caterpillar mechanic and wants to emigrate to nsw with our two kids. Does anyone know anything about this??
possibly, but it could involve him being away from home for weeks on end and living in a glorified campsite.

and $100k isn't actually as much as it sounds.
Old May 18th 2012, 9:37 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

$100k is about 40k GBP. Not terrible but not immense. Life here is expensive and mining is tough work.
Old May 18th 2012, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

abi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud of

check out seek.com.au.

As an experienced Caterpillar heavy diesel fitter there are plenty of jobs for $100-180k on there (fly in fly out) - but it's certainly possible that it would be difficult to go straight in to a job like that (it's hard to break into mining (anecdotally)) so he might be on considerably less while he picks up the necessary Aussie experience- and they ones I've seen are Perth (though some of them fly in cross-country - don't know about mining in NSW)

Best of luck

Last edited by abi31; May 18th 2012 at 10:38 pm. Reason: oops £? If only!
Old May 19th 2012, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

And while others go to the mines, there opens up opportunities in the more civilised areas to work on traditional boats/generators/trucksetc
Old May 19th 2012, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Forget NSW; The best states would be WA or QLD.

To earn that kind of money he would need to be fly in/ fly out although I would think it would be a lot more than 100k. The othet alternative is for you all to live up North etc but the cost or accomodation up in the Pilbara can be shocking eg $1000+ a week for a house
Old May 19th 2012, 12:11 am
Just Joined

jolene27 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Forget NSW; The best states would be WA or QLD.

To earn that kind of money he would need to be fly in/ fly out although I would think it would be a lot more than 100k. The othet alternative is for you all to live up North etc but the cost or accomodation up in the Pilbara can be shocking eg $1000+ a week for a house
He is saying that if we base in newcastle he can work in the hunter valley and be home each night
Old May 19th 2012, 12:32 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

He is saying that if we base in newcastle he can work in the hunter valley and be home each night
I can't speak on the salary but you're right about the mines being close to town. From memory the mines were about a 20 minute drive from Singleton (away from Maitland) so if you were to live in Maitland it would be about an hour commute home depending on what mine site you were on.

Singleton is a pretty small town, there wasn't much to do there in my opinion although it's definitely liveable. Maitland was a bigger centre and was closer to Newcastle, I think about 40 minutes away. So if you can live with a longer commute to work then it's a good option.

When we moved to Australia my husband did some job searching on arrival and ended up getting an job in a mine around Singleton and a job in Brisbane.

** have to go put the kids to bed will come back and finish soon!**
Old May 19th 2012, 2:40 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

So, continuing on.....

My husband is a mining engineer so before moving to Australia I researched all the mining areas and the only open pit mines that weren't remote (ie. fly in fly out) were in the Singleton area (that I could find anyway). So that was our first choice simply because he wouldn't have to be away for weeks at a time.

Once we arrived he ended up with two job offers, one in Singleton area and one in Brisbane CBD. We had never imagined that we would be able to live that close to a major centre so it was a surprise. After much debate we ended up choosing the Brisbane job as the pay was quite a bit better and there was so much more to do. Looking back it was the right choice for us although I suspect we would have been happy in Singleton/Maitland as well. To us it just came down to the fact that we could do far more day trips in Brisbane area than in maitland.

Given that your husband is a mechanic he pretty much needs to be on site unless you're going for smaller operations or moving away from mining. Does he have any experience working in the mines or is he trying to get into it? I see you're already working on a visa so that's good.

It can be very difficult to get into mining so be prepared for that. I should also point out that the Hunter Valley area is a desirable spot for lots of people because of the fact that you can live in the area and not have to be away from home. So you'll find the competition is tougher there. The easier jobs are the ones where no one else wants to work, so don't be surprised if he needs to take a FIFO job in order to break into the industry and get some experience.

Also, finding a job while you're still overseas is very difficult for most people. My husband applied for a bunch of jobs while in the visa process and even after getting the visa but no one was interested until we were in the country. This was during a time when there was a shortage of mining engineers, so we were surprised.

Anyway, keep researching and make sure to check all the job boards to find out where all the jobs are. Hopefully you'll get your first pick of places!
Old May 19th 2012, 4:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Unfortunately it is very difficult to get into the mining industry.

Every man dog and school leaver is going to the mines, very few get jobs.

I would really suggest he flies out to WA or QLD and gets into the reality of the areas and the job situation and competition.

BTW 100k is nothing much of an income here, very expensive so again come out and look around, before chucking in what you have.
Old May 19th 2012, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

Hi all

I'd second comments re: salary - five years ago I was told you could 'live like a king' in Brisbane for 100K (by an interviewer!) - not true then and certainly not true now. it's a living wage, just if you cut corners and don't live too near to the city, but IMHO not enough to leave a good job in the UK for if you have a family to support
Old May 19th 2012, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
I'd second comments re: salary - five years ago I was told you could 'live like a king' in Brisbane for 100K (by an interviewer!) - not true then and certainly not true now. it's a living wage, just if you cut corners and don't live too near to the city, but IMHO not enough to leave a good job in the UK for if you have a family to support
Current living like a king rates are about $2m per day.

Queen rates are about $200 per half hour at the corner of .... and ....
Old May 19th 2012, 6:52 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Is It True?

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
$100k is about 40k GBP.

(Source).
Old May 19th 2012, 6:58 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

The poster meant in real terms not the current exchange rate.
Old May 19th 2012, 8:57 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Yes, TE was not giving a literal exchange rate. She was giving a practical exchange rate as a way of explaining the lifestyle offered for that amount.
I would pretty much agree but maybe even go less depending on where you live.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.