Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

TRUCK DRIVING JOBS in QLD?? (help/advice pls)

TRUCK DRIVING JOBS in QLD?? (help/advice pls)

Old Nov 4th 2006, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

trippy t is an unknown quantity at this point
Question TRUCK DRIVING JOBS in QLD?? (help/advice pls)

Hi
We are looking to emigrate to Oz on a 457(temporary visa). My husband is a truck driver so we have to find a company willing to sponsor us for 2 years. After this we would then need the same company to sponsor us for PR on the RSMS(regional sponsored migration scheme-I think!). Therefore we would have to work for the same company for 3, possibly 4 years. My husband is 43 in May so we need to get sorted on this soon so he will be under 45 at the PR application stage.

This is not a problem for us.The problem is..finding work! (as I'm sure many people have experienced, its not easy doing that from the UK).

We wondered if anyone could help. Do you work in trucking in Queensland? Do you know of any trucking companies crying out for qualified truckers? Or can anyone point us in the direction of any large trucking companies who we could contact ourselves asking for work?

We need to get someone interested in the idea of employing someone from the UK, our migration agent will then explain all the neccessary stuff on how to go about sponsoring.

We are particularly keen on the coastal area of Queensland & my husbands preference is to drive fuel tankers...but all jobs and areas(of OZ) would be considered! Most of the work we have found advertised is through agencies...we are not really getting anywhere with them.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!
Thanks.

Tracy
Old Nov 5th 2006, 12:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TRUCK DRIVING JOBS in QLD?? (help/advice pls)

Originally Posted by trippy t
Hi
We are looking to emigrate to Oz on a 457(temporary visa). My husband is a truck driver so we have to find a company willing to sponsor us for 2 years. After this we would then need the same company to sponsor us for PR on the RSMS(regional sponsored migration scheme-I think!). Therefore we would have to work for the same company for 3, possibly 4 years. My husband is 43 in May so we need to get sorted on this soon so he will be under 45 at the PR application stage.

This is not a problem for us.The problem is..finding work! (as I'm sure many people have experienced, its not easy doing that from the UK).

We wondered if anyone could help. Do you work in trucking in Queensland? Do you know of any trucking companies crying out for qualified truckers? Or can anyone point us in the direction of any large trucking companies who we could contact ourselves asking for work?

We need to get someone interested in the idea of employing someone from the UK, our migration agent will then explain all the neccessary stuff on how to go about sponsoring.

We are particularly keen on the coastal area of Queensland & my husbands preference is to drive fuel tankers...but all jobs and areas(of OZ) would be considered! Most of the work we have found advertised is through agencies...we are not really getting anywhere with them.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!
Thanks.

Tracy
Have you looked on www.careerone.com.au there are 919 jobs coming up for truck drivers on there at the minute.

460 of them are for various locations around Queensland.

Why not send your hubbies CV to some of them and see if any of them reply?. I know it's a pain in the rear, but you could get lucky!.

I have an uncle who works as a truck driver, so will ask him if he knows of anything. We live in South Australia though, so I'm not sure if you'd be interested. He gets around $30 - $35 a hour
Old Nov 5th 2006, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

trippy t is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: TRUCK DRIVING JOBS in QLD?? (help/advice pls)

Originally Posted by Wendy
Have you looked on www.careerone.com.au there are 919 jobs coming up for truck drivers on there at the minute.

460 of them are for various locations around Queensland.

Why not send your hubbies CV to some of them and see if any of them reply?. I know it's a pain in the rear, but you could get lucky!.

I have an uncle who works as a truck driver, so will ask him if he knows of anything. We live in South Australia though, so I'm not sure if you'd be interested. He gets around $30 - $35 a hour
Thanks for that Wendy! Gotta go to bed now(it is 1.30am!) but cant wait to have a look on there when I get up. You are right, sending cv's isnt such a bad idea. Certainly easier & cheaper than phoning everytime we spot a job! I'm gonna get on to that too. Have been leaving it to hubby to make calls but he works long hours so its really hard with the time difference.

We would DEFINATELY consider South Australia! I have been to Queensland & have an uncle in Brisbane & a friend on the Goldcoast..so this is why we picked there initially...but we will go where the work takes us for now.(would be good to hear what your uncle has to say)

Thanks again
Tracy
Old Nov 5th 2006, 12:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TRUCK DRIVING JOBS in QLD?? (help/advice pls)

Originally Posted by trippy t
Thanks for that Wendy! Gotta go to bed now(it is 1.30am!) but cant wait to have a look on there when I get up. You are right, sending cv's isnt such a bad idea. Certainly easier & cheaper than phoning everytime we spot a job! I'm gonna get on to that too. Have been leaving it to hubby to make calls but he works long hours so its really hard with the time difference.

We would DEFINATELY consider South Australia! I have been to Queensland & have an uncle in Brisbane & a friend on the Goldcoast..so this is why we picked there initially...but we will go where the work takes us for now.(would be good to hear what your uncle has to say)

Thanks again
Tracy

A lot of the ads say you need residency, but send it in anyway you never know.