Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Trivial Question About Mayonnaise

Trivial Question About Mayonnaise

Old Mar 16th 2004, 3:37 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trivial Question About Mayonnaise

Well if Polly can ask about washing powder I feel justified in asking this:

My local Coles appears to have stopped stocking Hellmans Mayonnaise!!! There are about thirty other brands on the shelves and I don't fancy spending a year and $100+ working through them all until i find the next best thing.

Any advice?
Old Mar 16th 2004, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trivial Question About Mayonnaise

Originally posted by jayr

My local Coles appears to have stopped stocking Hellmans Mayonnaise!!! There are about thirty other brands on the shelves and I don't fancy spending a year and $100+ working through them all until i find the next best thing.

Any advice?
Trust me - I am an expert in mayonnaise.

Avoid anything called 'traditional' and that includes all the basic aussie brands like Praise, Kraft etc. They all taste ghastly and are not mayonnaise as you and I know it.

If you want a substitute for Hellmans buy either Best Foods (which I think is Hellmans anyway) or S&W mayonnaise. You might have to get them at a deli. but most big supermarkets usually have one or the other.

Or failing that, try any that have 'whole egg' somewhere on the label. The imported european mayonnaises are OK but too oily and rich for me (better than the aussie ones though).

Years ago I stayed with a lady who was born and bred in country NSW. She decided to make some mayonnaise and got out a tin of condensed milk and a bottle of vinegar..... This was supposedly a traditional aussie way of making mayo! And it tasted just like the awful brands you find in the supermarket.
Old Mar 16th 2004, 3:52 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Any advice?
Find another shop which supplies Hellmans.....
Old Mar 16th 2004, 3:57 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by downunderpom
Find another shop which supplies Hellmans.....

Bit difficult since neither Woolies or Coles have it. There is an Action (which I like) but that's about 30 miute drive away and don't know if they do it. I tried out Heinz, since its only $2 a bottle, but its more like salad cream which I hate.

Nickyc, will try the Best Foods, that one caught my eye as a possibility, will also avoid Praise and Kraft - cheers
Old Mar 16th 2004, 5:01 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Bit difficult since neither Woolies or Coles have it. There is an Action (which I like) but that's about 30 miute drive away and don't know if they do it. I tried out Heinz, since its only $2 a bottle, but its more like salad cream which I hate.

Nickyc, will try the Best Foods, that one caught my eye as a possibility, will also avoid Praise and Kraft - cheers

My Coles has it, which variety do you want, give me your address & I'll send you some .
Old Mar 16th 2004, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

:

Any advice?
I noticed this too. Luckily my local NQR store was selling them off so I bought about 1/2 dozen jars of it.

As NickyC said, try the Best Foods one. The packaging is identical to Hellmans and it tastes pretty much the same too.

I've tried most of the mayonaises on the shelf since I've been back here and I must have really gotten a taste for Hellmans while I was living in the UK as I really don't like the taste of the mayonaise out here. (I think it's one of the only things that I don't like better than the UK food).

Regards
Old Mar 16th 2004, 6:21 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Make your own, Trust Me Darlink, you'll never after be satisfied with less:

Lemon Myrtle Mayonnaise

Vary the type and quantity of oil and seasoning; eg mustard.
Old Mar 16th 2004, 7:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Never thought I'd say this, but try BiLo!! Our local one had some on the shelves last week.........

And don't worry Jayr, I've done cheese, now I've done washing powder, I'm sure I'll come up with another one soon!
Old Mar 16th 2004, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

slowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud of

JAYR,
why dont u ask why the shop has stopped supplying it and if they dont give u a good enough reason then demand they start selling it again...

monkey girl
x
Old Mar 16th 2004, 9:12 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Any advice?
Is this to accompany the overpriced lettuce?
Old Mar 16th 2004, 9:41 pm
Karma Comedian

Originally posted by bondipom
Is this to accompany the overpriced lettuce?

Quite. My food habits are getting too much of a public airing I thinK!
Old Mar 16th 2004, 10:04 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally posted by nickyc
Trust me - I am an expert in mayonnaise.

Years ago I stayed with a lady who was born and bred in country NSW. she decided to make mayonnaise and got out a tin of condensed milk and a bottle of vinegar......
Eeeeeeeeeewwwwww :scared:

Phoenixuk2oz

Old Mar 16th 2004, 10:16 pm
Go Banana's !!

How sad is this ?? I had a new food processor bought for me for my birthday (at my request) so I could make my own mayo, as I didn't think the Hellmans one tasted the same. Think I need tablets

Thinking of selling it, but Banana Mayo really doesn't give the right image.

Jill

Old Mar 16th 2004, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

LeaB is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - I phoned Hellmans and they confirmed that they have stopped making it - sales were insufficient to continue. If any store still has some, buy what's left as there's no more.

Try a brand called Thomy.
Old Mar 16th 2004, 11:01 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally posted by Go Banana's !!
How sad is this ?? I had a new food processor bought for me for my birthday (at my request) so I could make my own mayo, as I didn't think the Hellmans one tasted the same. Think I need tablets

Thinking of selling it, but Banana Mayo really doesn't give the right image.

Jill
Banana mayo.....Eeeeewwwww :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.