Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Trip back to the UK

Trip back to the UK

Old Aug 1st 2011, 11:44 am
Adelaide Bound

Seacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Trip back to the UK

Hi folks,

I was prepared for some difference is cost when I checked about flights from Oz to UK for a wedding next year, but jezz a difference of £1000 for Singapore Airlines and Virgin if we were flying from the UK to Oz on the same dates. Is this right. Should we wait till nearer the time (for next May)? Is there a cheaper way, or accept that its going to be more expensive.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

saintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nice
Default Re: Trip back to the UK

All the info you need: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=653462
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 1:08 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seacaptain
Hi folks,

I was prepared for some difference is cost when I checked about flights from Oz to UK for a wedding next year, but jezz a difference of £1000 for Singapore Airlines and Virgin if we were flying from the UK to Oz on the same dates. Is this right. Should we wait till nearer the time (for next May)? Is there a cheaper way, or accept that its going to be more expensive.
Just had a quick look on Air Asia.... $1,400 return. (Perth - Stanstead)
You'll have to add for extra luggage, meals etc.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 1:57 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
Just had a quick look on Air Asia.... $1,400 return. (Perth - Stanstead)
You'll have to add for extra luggage, meals etc.
I think you'll find Air Asia are now into LGW, not STN. But who cares at that price?
"Business" isn't much more than that.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Welcome to living in Oz and the high cost of getting OUT of the country!

If you are travelling next May then look out for SIA deals around Nov time or in Jan. Keep an eye on their promotion page and local deals but also sign up for alerts so when the promo fares come through you'll get an email. I've just looked up the current deals and they are for spring this year and up to the end of Feb for next so give it a couple of months and they'll be starting deals for April/May. Don't leave it until June because the fares go up then.

It's hard to compare flights now because of the poor pound, we paid $1970 Nov last year for a flight in May which is actually around $500 cheaper than when we first arrived over 4 years ago. Back then $1970 would have been GBP804 but now its GBP1358 all down to the weak currency, so really it's best not to look! Fares from the UK will always be cheaper because they say of higher demand.

You could weadle your way back to the UK cheaper on other airlines flying into and out of their hub, Finnair, Royal Brunei, China Southern used to be some of the cheaper routes but may take a lot longer and you might have longer stop overs. Etihad seem to have some good deals but really it's a case of shopping around as deals are always changing. We always fly with SIA partly to save up points but also because they are consistantly good, comfortable which these days on a 24 hour flight I want! Fortunately we don't have the additional cost of kids but SIA do look after the kiddies very well.

I think Air Asia flying into Gatwick will now be a big attraction for lots of people. My friend flew with them last year but was disappointed with the long haul aircraft as it needed some tlc plus the additional cost of all the extras - GPB14 for a blanket as it was so cold on the flight!

You could if you have money in the UK also look at doing two one ways, on the rare occasion this can work out cheaper but you may have to mix airlines. So you could fly to KL on Jetstar then pick up the Air Asia to London and then SIA one way on the way back.

Lots of homework for you to do!
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 12:26 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koalakim
Hi

Welcome to living in Oz and the high cost of getting OUT of the country!

If you are travelling next May then look out for SIA deals around Nov time or in Jan. Keep an eye on their promotion page and local deals but also sign up for alerts so when the promo fares come through you'll get an email. I've just looked up the current deals and they are for spring this year and up to the end of Feb for next so give it a couple of months and they'll be starting deals for April/May. Don't leave it until June because the fares go up then.

It's hard to compare flights now because of the poor pound, we paid $1970 Nov last year for a flight in May which is actually around $500 cheaper than when we first arrived over 4 years ago. Back then $1970 would have been GBP804 but now its GBP1358 all down to the weak currency, so really it's best not to look! Fares from the UK will always be cheaper because they say of higher demand.

You could weadle your way back to the UK cheaper on other airlines flying into and out of their hub, Finnair, Royal Brunei, China Southern used to be some of the cheaper routes but may take a lot longer and you might have longer stop overs. Etihad seem to have some good deals but really it's a case of shopping around as deals are always changing. We always fly with SIA partly to save up points but also because they are consistantly good, comfortable which these days on a 24 hour flight I want! Fortunately we don't have the additional cost of kids but SIA do look after the kiddies very well.

I think Air Asia flying into Gatwick will now be a big attraction for lots of people. My friend flew with them last year but was disappointed with the long haul aircraft as it needed some tlc plus the additional cost of all the extras - GPB14 for a blanket as it was so cold on the flight!

You could if you have money in the UK also look at doing two one ways, on the rare occasion this can work out cheaper but you may have to mix airlines. So you could fly to KL on Jetstar then pick up the Air Asia to London and then SIA one way on the way back.

Lots of homework for you to do!

An alternative is to do a one way to the UK, then obtain an open ended return from there back to Australia. It means that you will have to fly back to the UK at least once a year, but when you do you can always do so at UK prices, instead of Aus ones.

S