Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Trick or Treat in OZ

Trick or Treat in OZ

Old Oct 31st 2007, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of light
Question Trick or Treat in OZ

What is it like ??

Do you decorate your homes etc, we curretnly have a 4ft skeleton with flashing eyes on our front door, lots of witch and pumpkin decorations round the out door trees, lots of things stuck to windows etc. Kids think it is great.

The reason we ask, when we take them down do we give them away or pack them to bring with us?

Thanks
Old Oct 31st 2007, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Trick or Treat in OZ

Originally Posted by Jasonmb
What is it like ??

Do you decorate your homes etc, we curretnly have a 4ft skeleton with flashing eyes on our front door, lots of witch and pumpkin decorations round the out door trees, lots of things stuck to windows etc. Kids think it is great.

The reason we ask, when we take them down do we give them away or pack them to bring with us?

Thanks
We didn't get one trick or treater knock. No houses decorated not a bit like over there. My daughter and her friends did dress up and go trick or treating though and they enjoyed themself's. When I came to work tonight all the Aussie girls where laughing at her saying it's an American thing and not done here!!
Tracie
Old Oct 31st 2007, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by breezeboylan
We didn't get one trick or treater knock. No houses decorated not a bit like over there. My daughter and her friends did dress up and go trick or treating though and they enjoyed themself's. When I came to work tonight all the Aussie girls where laughing at her saying it's an American thing and not done here!!
Tracie
Hi Tracie

Thanks for this, well we could bring them with us and start a new trend At least the kids enjoyed themselves, ours have just got back very cold but very happy having had great fun and of course lots of sweets

Tracy
Old Oct 31st 2007, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Ugh, no please dont bring Halloween over here, we have managed to avoid most of the hype thank heavens!
Old Oct 31st 2007, 9:27 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by quoll
Ugh, no please dont bring Halloween over here, we have managed to avoid most of the hype thank heavens!
God forbid. Don't want young kids enjoying themselves do we. Do they celebrate Xmas in Oz or have you avoided that as well?
Old Oct 31st 2007, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Got lots of Australian enjoyment, dont need to import any American stuff thanks!
Old Oct 31st 2007, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jasonmb
What is it like ??

Thanks
We had 80 kids knock altogether! I only had enough sweets for 40 so the ones that came later got balloons, little biscuits and a few ice lollies! The house over the road had been decorated and it was all over by 8pm- they all looked like they were having a blast!
Old Oct 31st 2007, 9:41 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by quoll
Got lots of Australian enjoyment, dont need to import any American stuff thanks!
Good for you. People here in the U.K don't partake if they don't want to and neither do you if it is in Oz, stay in with your lights off It actually originate in Ireland years and years ago.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

the murrays is a jewel in the roughthe murrays is a jewel in the roughthe murrays is a jewel in the roughthe murrays is a jewel in the roughthe murrays is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey
Good for you. People here in the U.K don't partake if they don't want to and neither do you if it is in Oz, stay in with your lights off It actually originate in Ireland years and years ago.
I loved it when I was young, sitting here wondering what I will be doing next year, but I will be celebrating it oz with my children and I'm sure a lot of aus will, with me, and yeah they celebrated in ireland years before there was tv, so they didnt copy it from the usa
Old Oct 31st 2007, 10:00 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Halloween is on TV tonight, i am going to stay up and watch it. Ive seen it loads of times and it still scares me.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 10:05 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey
God forbid. Don't want young kids enjoying themselves do we. Do they celebrate Xmas in Oz or have you avoided that as well?
What a rididculous comparison. I am a big advocate of halloween as I lived in Canada for a few years but it just doesn't seem right here. I forgot about it and didn't buy any sweets so ignored the door. If that makes me miserable then so be it.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 10:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by the murrays
I loved it when I was young, sitting here wondering what I will be doing next year, but I will be celebrating it oz with my children and I'm sure a lot of aus will, with me, and yeah they celebrated in ireland years before there was tv, so they didnt copy it from the usa
We were sat here thinking the same thing about next year.Strange what little things you will miss if any. We will celebrate too if only together as the kids love it
Old Oct 31st 2007, 10:08 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally, I hate it...

Mind you with all the inlaws being Irish (and we used to live in The Midlands UK where they celebrate it in a nice and friendly way) the kids have got used to celebrating it...

So, bit of a comprise here.. I let them dress up and we carve a pumpkin etc etc.. but as for trick or treating... NOPE... not unless it is people I have arranged it with earlier (my kids' friends houses)...

In fact just have had a message from one of my friends in a local village who has just had her house egged and a load of teenagers banging down the door.. she has a husband on nights and she is really upset..

Have to say, I loathe Halloween...

I diverse from the original question tho... apologies! *rant over*

Em x
Old Oct 31st 2007, 10:09 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by northernbird
What a rididculous comparison. I am a big advocate of halloween as I lived in Canada for a few years but it just doesn't seem right here. I forgot about it and didn't buy any sweets so ignored the door. If that makes me miserable then so be it.
Yes you are miserable and thats your choice - good luck to you.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Loads of trick or treaters here on the coast and loads of parties as well. The kids really made an effort to dress up (not like the scroungers in the UK with a bit of face paint) and I thought it was great. Also there were some teenagers doing it as well, 16 - 17 year old girls with skimpy clothes on :-)

If the kids enjoy it I don't see what the problem is?
Bugger off you miserable sods who moan about anything and everything

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.