British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Treadmill or cross-trainer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/treadmill-cross-trainer-639169/)

Howard Jenings Nov 5th 2009 8:03 am

Treadmill or cross-trainer

We are looking to buy one of these can anyone recommend a good make that is reasonably priced

kporte Nov 5th 2009 8:15 am

Re: Treadmill or cross-trainer

Originally Posted by Howard Jenings (Post 8072702)
We are looking to buy one of these can anyone recommend a good make that is reasonably priced

You will use it as a clothes airer. Join a gym or start cycling/jogging/walking.
I speak from experience;)

Zenshin Nov 5th 2009 8:43 am

We have the stepper variety of clothes airers as they take up less space :rofl:

No seriously, I would recommend a cross trainer as for me personally they are a better workout. We have a Body Sculpture but not sure if you can get them in Oz. We are bringing ours over with us as looking at prices on the internet these things cost a fortune over there. Also a tip for actually using it: we have set up a spare room with tv/dvd surround system as we are into music dvds so I usually watch them while doing a 20-30 minute workout.

Keep in mind that for your body to benefit fully you should also consider doing weight/resistance exercises.

Juliecabs Nov 5th 2009 8:49 am

My son is a Personal Trainer and recommends these:
www.lifefitness.com
Not sure of the prices in Oz though, sorry.

harrip Nov 5th 2009 9:02 am

Seriously, save your money.

A piece of 'gym equipment' is not a magic answer to love handles. You will get fed up with it before too long.

MartinLuther Nov 5th 2009 9:37 am

I'd go for the cross trainer (because of lower impact) but don't buy a cheap one. Work out the gym fees for a year and then spend that on it.

johnnyx0 Nov 5th 2009 10:20 am

LifeFitness are a good make, but are expensive new. Depending on where you are, there's usually places that buy them from gyms, refurbish them and sell them on pretty cheaply, which might be a good plan.

X-Trainers burn more calories that Treadmills, and give you an over work-out, plus they don't give you ankle & knee problems from the impact.

I'd only go for a Treadmill if you absolutely love running and have no joint issues.

But yes, just join a gym, it's cheaper, takes up less space in the house and you get more variety.

Kooky. Nov 5th 2009 11:06 am

I had a LifeFitness elliptical trainer in Singapore. Used it 3 times, I think.

(And before you say that's why I've got fat feet and bingo wings, I had a personal trainer and went to the gym three times a week :p )

Gems Nov 5th 2009 11:12 am

We have a treadmill and weight machine.

Treadmills are good because you can just do a brisk walk on it. You dont need to be a marathone runner.
Just bung on your ipod and off you go. Also great when the Geraldton weather gets to 44C at Christmas!

Weights as they tone you up fairly quickly. Also noticed recently that everyone on tv is going on about weights to help as you age.

Gems

kporte Nov 5th 2009 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Seasider (Post 8072996)
I had a LifeFitness elliptical trainer in Singapore. Used it 3 times, I think.

(And before you say that's why I've got fat feet and bingo wings, I had a personal trainer and went to the gym three times a week :p )

Who was your trainer, Johnny Vegas?

Gems Nov 5th 2009 11:13 am

Ps, if you go for the treadmill. Google couch to 5K, lots of people start with this. They also do runs half marathon and marathon if your into getting super fit.

Gems

kporte Nov 5th 2009 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Gems (Post 8073009)
Ps, if you go for the treadmill. Google couch to 5K, lots of people start with this. They also do runs half marathon and marathon if your into getting super fit.

Gems

I did 5k to couch, I can recommend it

Kooky. Nov 5th 2009 11:23 am

Originally Posted by kporte (Post 8073008)
Who was your trainer, Johnny Vegas?

:lol: I was the fittest and most toned I'd been for years. Then I moved here, went back to work, started eating a Western diet again, and let's just say I'm not the fittest and most toned I've been for years.

In all seriousness, I have knee problems and was told the cross-trainer wouldn't hurt them. I was misled. I should have got a treadmill.

johnnyx0 Nov 5th 2009 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Gems (Post 8073005)
Also noticed recently that everyone on tv is going on about weights to help as you age.

Weight bearing exercises really help older adults by increasing bone density and reducing the risk of osteoporosis. I take the older adults group at the gym and you can definitely see a difference in their abilities...

johnnyx0 Nov 5th 2009 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Seasider (Post 8073022)
In all seriousness, I have knee problems and was told the cross-trainer wouldn't hurt them. I was misled. I should have got a treadmill.

I'd be really careful with using a treadmill with knee issues. X-Trainers are much, much easier on joints. It does all depend on your exact knee problems, and a physio can recommend the best exercises.
(Physio's usually recommend the exercise bike for ACL problems)