Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Treadmill or cross-trainer

Treadmill or cross-trainer

Old Nov 5th 2009, 8:03 am

Howard Jenings is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Treadmill or cross-trainer

We are looking to buy one of these can anyone recommend a good make that is reasonably priced
Old Nov 5th 2009, 8:15 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Treadmill or cross-trainer

Originally Posted by Howard Jenings
We are looking to buy one of these can anyone recommend a good make that is reasonably priced
You will use it as a clothes airer. Join a gym or start cycling/jogging/walking.
I speak from experience
Old Nov 5th 2009, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Zenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to all

We have the stepper variety of clothes airers as they take up less space

No seriously, I would recommend a cross trainer as for me personally they are a better workout. We have a Body Sculpture but not sure if you can get them in Oz. We are bringing ours over with us as looking at prices on the internet these things cost a fortune over there. Also a tip for actually using it: we have set up a spare room with tv/dvd surround system as we are into music dvds so I usually watch them while doing a 20-30 minute workout.

Keep in mind that for your body to benefit fully you should also consider doing weight/resistance exercises.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 8:49 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

My son is a Personal Trainer and recommends these:
www.lifefitness.com
Not sure of the prices in Oz though, sorry.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 9:02 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

Seriously, save your money.

A piece of 'gym equipment' is not a magic answer to love handles. You will get fed up with it before too long.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 9:37 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd go for the cross trainer (because of lower impact) but don't buy a cheap one. Work out the gym fees for a year and then spend that on it.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 10:20 am
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

LifeFitness are a good make, but are expensive new. Depending on where you are, there's usually places that buy them from gyms, refurbish them and sell them on pretty cheaply, which might be a good plan.

X-Trainers burn more calories that Treadmills, and give you an over work-out, plus they don't give you ankle & knee problems from the impact.

I'd only go for a Treadmill if you absolutely love running and have no joint issues.

But yes, just join a gym, it's cheaper, takes up less space in the house and you get more variety.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 11:06 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I had a LifeFitness elliptical trainer in Singapore. Used it 3 times, I think.

(And before you say that's why I've got fat feet and bingo wings, I had a personal trainer and went to the gym three times a week )
Old Nov 5th 2009, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

We have a treadmill and weight machine.

Treadmills are good because you can just do a brisk walk on it. You dont need to be a marathone runner.
Just bung on your ipod and off you go. Also great when the Geraldton weather gets to 44C at Christmas!

Weights as they tone you up fairly quickly. Also noticed recently that everyone on tv is going on about weights to help as you age.

Gems
Old Nov 5th 2009, 11:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Seasider
I had a LifeFitness elliptical trainer in Singapore. Used it 3 times, I think.

(And before you say that's why I've got fat feet and bingo wings, I had a personal trainer and went to the gym three times a week )
Who was your trainer, Johnny Vegas?
Old Nov 5th 2009, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Ps, if you go for the treadmill. Google couch to 5K, lots of people start with this. They also do runs half marathon and marathon if your into getting super fit.

Gems
Old Nov 5th 2009, 11:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Gems
Ps, if you go for the treadmill. Google couch to 5K, lots of people start with this. They also do runs half marathon and marathon if your into getting super fit.

Gems
I did 5k to couch, I can recommend it
Old Nov 5th 2009, 11:23 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
Who was your trainer, Johnny Vegas?
I was the fittest and most toned I'd been for years. Then I moved here, went back to work, started eating a Western diet again, and let's just say I'm not the fittest and most toned I've been for years.

In all seriousness, I have knee problems and was told the cross-trainer wouldn't hurt them. I was misled. I should have got a treadmill.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 12:12 pm

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Gems
Also noticed recently that everyone on tv is going on about weights to help as you age.
Weight bearing exercises really help older adults by increasing bone density and reducing the risk of osteoporosis. I take the older adults group at the gym and you can definitely see a difference in their abilities...
Old Nov 5th 2009, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Seasider
In all seriousness, I have knee problems and was told the cross-trainer wouldn't hurt them. I was misled. I should have got a treadmill.
I'd be really careful with using a treadmill with knee issues. X-Trainers are much, much easier on joints. It does all depend on your exact knee problems, and a physio can recommend the best exercises.
(Physio's usually recommend the exercise bike for ACL problems)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.