Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Travelling once arrived in Oz?

Travelling once arrived in Oz?

Old Sep 2nd 2008, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold
Default Travelling once arrived in Oz?

I'm jumping the gun here as we haven't got our visas yet but I thought I'll put the feelers out first anyway.

When (being positive here) we get out Oz visas and move we will never have been to Oz before. We are pretty set on Brisbane and the area around it for where we want to go, but we have thought about travelling round Oz first so we get to see the sights. We feel that we won't probably both be out of work, no house, no ties again hopefully so why not sieze the opportunity and see our new country first.

Question is, would anyone else who has done this recommend it? How long did you do it for, where did you go, how did you travel and where did you stay etc? Also any ideas of cost would be great!

Thx!
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling once arrived in Oz?

We had planned on doing this for 6 months, but alas our house buyer took 5 months longer than he said he was aiming for, so we didn't get the chance. We had planned on buying a camper van or a caravan. Trading post of ebay are good for getting ideas of prices.
Good luck
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

cbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nice

Do it, we were advised to but got caught up in finding work got work and now cannot get long holidays!
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AndyR
I'm jumping the gun here as we haven't got our visas yet but I thought I'll put the feelers out first anyway.

When (being positive here) we get out Oz visas and move we will never have been to Oz before. We are pretty set on Brisbane and the area around it for where we want to go, but we have thought about travelling round Oz first so we get to see the sights. We feel that we won't probably both be out of work, no house, no ties again hopefully so why not sieze the opportunity and see our new country first.

Question is, would anyone else who has done this recommend it? How long did you do it for, where did you go, how did you travel and where did you stay etc? Also any ideas of cost would be great!

Thx!

Go for it if you can afford it, when are you going to get that chance again??!!

Debbie
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

RobAndEwa has a brilliant futureRobAndEwa has a brilliant futureRobAndEwa has a brilliant futureRobAndEwa has a brilliant futureRobAndEwa has a brilliant futureRobAndEwa has a brilliant futureRobAndEwa has a brilliant future

No advice - just joining the club! Exactly the same story, still waiting for our visas, house sale, etc, but definitely planning on taking a couple of months off to see some of Oz, visit family, etc. I know the next chance I get to do this will be when I retire!

Rob
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 12:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a good idea - arrive in Perth and then go around the coast up to Brisbane. Campervan is probably the way to go and you could probably pick one up in The Gumtree - hiring them is extortionate. Or, if you are really young, footloose and fancy free then do it with a tent (cheaper, more mobile etc). That way you will certainly get to see what Australia is. Only thing is not to go North during the wet season - you may get stuck up there - stick to the southern route for starters.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

denkar101 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by quoll
Sounds like a good idea - arrive in Perth and then go around the coast up to Brisbane. Campervan is probably the way to go and you could probably pick one up in The Gumtree - hiring them is extortionate. Or, if you are really young, footloose and fancy free then do it with a tent (cheaper, more mobile etc). That way you will certainly get to see what Australia is. Only thing is not to go North during the wet season - you may get stuck up there - stick to the southern route for starters.
Can't remember where I got this info from but worth a look...

http://www.standbyrelocations.com/

Cheers,
Dennis
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for all the great info guys! Really appriciated!
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

coops432 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by AndyR

Thx!
I would say go for it.

Lisa and I did a 4 month round the world trip last year for my resettlement from the RAF, I say round the world it was just Oz, America and Canada oh and Lapland for last christmas.

We didn't really want to go anywhere else.

4 months living in hotels (not the poshest i must add but certainly not the worst)
Tinterweb is def the best for hotels, we stayed in a place in surfers booked online it was iirc £30 a night, advertised at $100 per night outside hotel.

I plan on having another month free off work when our visa is done to travel Oz

Best regards to you both

Paul n Lisa

Last edited by coops432; Sep 2nd 2008 at 7:44 pm. Reason: spelling is rubbish