Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Travelling with infant to oz

Travelling with infant to oz

Old Dec 4th 2012, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default Re: Travelling with infant to oz

Originally Posted by Family of 3
The one time I didn't take a change of clothes was the one time Mini vomited a bottle of milk over me, 2 hours out of Singapore, during turbulence so I couldn't even go the loo to clean up.

OP: Have you tried Emirates? It used to be free for babies, not sure if it still is.

How old is the child? We bought a seat from about 8 months old as he was too big for the bassinet and didn't fancy holding him all that way. We had an amazing thing called the Sit N Stroll, which is a car seat which converted into a stroller. We'd wheel him through the airport in it, retract the wheels and strap him in on the plane, wheel him across the airport the other end.
she would be about 8 months when we fly,i did read about the sit and stroller but are they not expensive and they are not useable in australia,we would be moving to australia for good.

Im so confused what to do for best business class for wife and i and add lap child,could work out expensive for lap child.
Just go economy wife and i and add lap child and request basinett at bulhead.
or go for three economy and request bassinet,but then baby would need car seat to be in her seat?dont really want to carry around one of these more so if not any good when getting to oz.
As for adding a baby or getting her a seat of her own,i take this would be as an infant,or child or adult seat,she would be taking up an adult seat but would be an infant so would it be infant rate,or child rate being she is having a seat or adult fare being its a seat an adult would use.

are these any good

Baby Toddler Baby B'air Flight Vest
Old Dec 4th 2012, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

goingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nice

It would be at a child rate as they are not on you're lap
Old Dec 4th 2012, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

goingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nice

We went economy with virgin.24hr heathrow-Hongkong-Sydney then onto domestic airport to catch flight to brisbane an hour later. nothing prepares you for a virgin blue take off feels like your going straight up :-)
Old Dec 4th 2012, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Wish i knew what to do here,i think business class is out of the window,have enough miles to get it,would have to pay fees/taxes for this and then the 10% for infant as lap child so my option now is do we get three economy seats and request basinett or just get two adult economy seats and add lap child and request basinett.
Im just not sure it we did get a seat for our girl at the time of traveling will be 8 months is this would be a waste,i really think taking a car seat with us might be a nightmare,this would be us moving not going on holiday.
But then i read good things about taking a car seat with you,i have a graco seat at present and it sure is heavy without her in it.
Maybe i need something different,lighter?but then taking this to australia its not any good as not leagal over there.

What have most of you mums and dads done when traveling to oz,did you take a car seat,if so which ones,where they ok with the airline and did they fit,did you find it a pain to carry/take along with you.

In regards to just having a basinett was this ideal a better option,no need for a extra seat,where they big enough for a 8 month old and was it ok having infant on your lap.
Our infant who is 4 months now is very restless when sometimes sitting on your lap,but maybe this is just for now and maybe ok later as she is teething etc etc right now.

I wanna book these flights soon i just am not sure how we want to book it,our first choice had been to go business class but i think we maybe better without it for now
Old Dec 5th 2012, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

We used the Sit N Stroll loads, but we lived in Singapore and were going back and forwards to UK as well as Oz and NZ. We did use it once or twice in Oz, not realising that it's not legal as a car seat.

At 8 months, I'd say to book 3 economy seats and NOT request bassinet. The reason is that the arm rests don't lift on those (bassinet row) seats. She (?) can sit on lap with infant belt for take off/landing/turbulence but then you can raise the arm rests and she can stretch out across you/3 seats where necessary. I found a car seat was great on a plane up until about 3, but if you can't use it when you get here it's rather pointless.

Check what each airline says about age/car seat etc as they may say different things.

Mini's first flight was at 7 weeks, Singapore to Perth, with Qantas. We booked him a child seat as it was cheaper than infant, and he slept in his rear-facing car seat for the whole flight.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

You either get a seat OR a bassinette not both. Personally, and being somewhat of a Scrooge when it comes to paying airlines thousands for 24 hours of my life, I'd be going for 2 economy adults and ask for a bassinette. You have a better than even chance of getting one as not too many people are going to be flying with kids under 8 months these days. I agree with the night flights - I always get one that leaves as late as possible and, for me, that reduces the jet lag but everyone is different.

No car seat - thats just more to lug around and useless when you arrive.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by quoll
You either get a seat OR a bassinette not both. Personally, and being somewhat of a Scrooge when it comes to paying airlines thousands for 24 hours of my life, I'd be going for 2 economy adults and ask for a bassinette. You have a better than even chance of getting one as not too many people are going to be flying with kids under 8 months these days. I agree with the night flights - I always get one that leaves as late as possible and, for me, that reduces the jet lag but everyone is different.

No car seat - thats just more to lug around and useless when you arrive.
who said you cant have a basinette and a extra seat?
Old Dec 5th 2012, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

In regards to taking a car seat,when some people say yes take a car seat and they sleep well in them,i take when you get turblence they can be left in it to sleep,what about landing and taking off is this ok?Is it now recommended to leave a baby in a car seat long sleeping,im sure i read it was not good for them,maybe this was when they are really young.
I have a delux graco car seat and one we got with our buggy which is slightly smaller,lighter and less weight than the deluxe the Graco Junior Baby Car Seat we was gonna sell this but maybe we could take this with us on the flight is this ok,saying that maybe its forward facing seat we need the graco is rearward facing so maybe no good?
Im heading towards getting three economy seats and a bassinett also if we can and to just bring a car seat with us.
Might just try and pick up a used one we could just get rid of when we get there or buy one new,or ideally if there was ones that could be used in oz that could be purchased in the uk we could keep it.
Anyone recommend any light,small car seats we could maybe buy that would suit our needs etc
Old Dec 6th 2012, 3:43 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian.w
In regards to taking a car seat,when some people say yes take a car seat and they sleep well in them,i take when you get turblence they can be left in it to sleep,what about landing and taking off is this ok?Is it now recommended to leave a baby in a car seat long sleeping,im sure i read it was not good for them,maybe this was when they are really young.
I have a delux graco car seat and one we got with our buggy which is slightly smaller,lighter and less weight than the deluxe the Graco Junior Baby Car Seat we was gonna sell this but maybe we could take this with us on the flight is this ok,saying that maybe its forward facing seat we need the graco is rearward facing so maybe no good?
Im heading towards getting three economy seats and a bassinett also if we can and to just bring a car seat with us.
Might just try and pick up a used one we could just get rid of when we get there or buy one new,or ideally if there was ones that could be used in oz that could be purchased in the uk we could keep it.
Anyone recommend any light,small car seats we could maybe buy that would suit our needs etc
UK car seats aren't legal here. You have to buy one when you arrive, unless you get one shipped from here to the UK in advance.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 5:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

who said you cant have a basinette and a extra seat?
Well you can if you pay full price for them both I suppose but if you pay for a seat for a child they would put you at the bottom of the list for a bassinette. An under 2 isn't entitled to a seat but you could pay the child rate for them to have one. Equally, I suppose you "could" theoretically buy two seats for yourself although I don't know if airlines have ever encountered that apart from someone whose backside won't fit in one seat space.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

bitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond repute

We travelled with a child of a similar age, just a seat for each adult and a bassinet for baby. I would consider a car seat a complete waste of time and effort on the plane and it can't be used in Australia anyway. I wouldn't trust the lift-up belt on the plane's seat to hold a car seat in place, they tend to lift fairly easily.

Check with the airline if you are allowed to take a buggy/stroller on the plane or if they can provide one at Dubai/Singapore/wherever you are changing planes. We found a baby sling handy if they wouldn't settle in the bassinet and we felt sleepy. Baby had to sit on our lap with belt for take-off, landing and any turbulance.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bitzenpces
We travelled with a child of a similar age, just a seat for each adult and a bassinet for baby. I would consider a car seat a complete waste of time and effort on the plane and it can't be used in Australia anyway. I wouldn't trust the lift-up belt on the plane's seat to hold a car seat in place, they tend to lift fairly easily.

Check with the airline if you are allowed to take a buggy/stroller on the plane or if they can provide one at Dubai/Singapore/wherever you are changing planes. We found a baby sling handy if they wouldn't settle in the bassinet and we felt sleepy. Baby had to sit on our lap with belt for take-off, landing and any turbulance.
then maybe 2 adults and a bassinette is the way to go then,we are worried that we might not get one,i take the singapore airline bassinettes are large,as our baby of 4 months and 3 weeks in a few days already is 18lb+ but when she starts crawling and starts to walk maybe she will not be heavy and get rid of her baby fat,lol

We have a feeling that she might not like being on our lap,sometimes she enjoys it other times she just does not want to be there,as for her sleeping she sleeps very well at nights sometimes from around 9:30pm till 7:00am in the morning and later,and she does like to get her head down for a sleep at night,during the day just a wee 30mins etc now and again,does not really go to sleep that well during the day.

I take if aged 8 possible 9 months when we finally fly we will get a bassinette?as she might not be the best flyer on our lap,who knows she might even love it
Old Dec 6th 2012, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

When we flew with SA for our reccie, our son was 8 months old and we did the bassinet thing. It was a mistake. Not only did he have problems settling and sleeping in it (the overhead lights didn't help I'm sure), SA had rules that whenever the seat belt sign went on for turbulence, we had to take him out of the bassinet and hold him. So, that meant that just as he was finally falling asleep, we had to unzip the cover and haul him out. Every single time the flight got a little bumpy. Not good at all. Obviously, I understand why, but it would have been better for us to have had him strapped into his own car seat and he might have slept better.

The next trip he was 14 months old. He had his own seat and we brought his car seat. He slept very well and there was no more musical chairs during turbulence. Also no more, "Here, YOU hold him so I can eat dinner." Happy campers all around. We bought an Aussie seat within a week of arriving. We would have needed to buy one anyway.

Last edited by Japonica; Dec 6th 2012 at 3:35 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Japonica
When we flew with SA for our reccie, our son was 8 months old and we did the bassinet thing. It was a mistake. Not only did he have problems settling and sleeping in it (the overhead lights didn't help I'm sure), SA had rules that whenever the seat belt sign went on for turbulence, we had to take him out of the bassinet and hold him. So, that meant that just as he was finally falling asleep, we had to unzip the cover and haul him out. Every single time the flight got a little bumpy. Not good at all. Obviously, I understand why, but it would have been better for us to have had him strapped into his own car seat and he might have slept better.

The next trip he was 14 months old. He had his own seat and we brought his car seat. He slept very well and there was no more musical chairs during turbulence. Also no more, "Here, YOU hold him so I can eat dinner." Happy campers all around. We bought an Aussie seat within a week of arriving. We would have needed to buy one anyway.
Did you ship a seat from oz then
Old Dec 6th 2012, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Did you ship a seat from oz then
No. Used the Canadian one on the plane and for the first two to three days and then bought an Aussie one which we'd need to do anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.