Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

travellers cheques card

travellers cheques card

Old Feb 16th 2008, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

sormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud of
Default travellers cheques card

Hi there,
can anyone help me?
we are going to aus for a holiday next month to check things out, we went and got some cash from the travel agents and then wanted some travellers cheques, they said they do this travellers cheque pre pay card now, (thomas cook) and i wonder if anyone else has used it. they said that if you use it in shops and resturants you dont pay extra but in atms you do.
just wonder if it is a good idea or not, she said this will be how travellers cheques will be in the future.
should i give it a try or just stick to the paper ones?
thanks
Old Feb 16th 2008, 8:58 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: travellers cheques card

Originally Posted by sormesher
Hi there,
can anyone help me?
we are going to aus for a holiday next month to check things out, we went and got some cash from the travel agents and then wanted some travellers cheques, they said they do this travellers cheque pre pay card now, (thomas cook) and i wonder if anyone else has used it. they said that if you use it in shops and resturants you dont pay extra but in atms you do.
just wonder if it is a good idea or not, she said this will be how travellers cheques will be in the future.
thanks
Most shops don't accept any type of cheques at all, though some may with prior arrangement. The majority will only accept cash or credit/debitcards. This new thing sounds like a debitcard anyway, and you'll probably pay extra fees on top of the credit/debitcards you already have,, which by the way, should work fine over here, especially if they're Master/Visa cards.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 8:32 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sormesher
Hi there,
can anyone help me?
thanks
Forget traveller's cheques - they belong to the past.

Get a Nationwide credit card asap: virtually all the credit cards load a 2.75% extra on foreign transactions but N/W don't. It's the easiest and most competitive way to spend your way around the world!
Old Feb 17th 2008, 9:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car...-overseas#best

Apparently, the Post Office has taken Nationwide's crown.

You'll have to be quick to get it before next month.

Ian